The Diesel Stop banner

2008 6.4L Tuner?

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  meteor56 
#1 ·
I own a 2008 Ford F-350 with the 6.4L. I am wondering what is the best tuner to get and what is everything I will need for it too work. Anything tips help, Thanks.

#2 ·
I only have experience with the H&S MiniMaxx, but it is no longer made/supported. Has worked well for me. If you run any tune that negates the emissions, you will need to delete the DPF, and replace the entire exhaust.
There are some 'tuners' that let you keep the emissions, might check into that.
Keep up with the oil/filter changes, drain the water separator filter often, and change the water separator filter every other oil change.
If you use a tuner, and run it on the high horsepower programs, get ready to fix something when it breaks.

#7 ·
I only have experience with the H&S MiniMaxx, but it is no longer made/supported.

Keep up with the oil/filter changes, drain the water separator filter often, and change the water separator filter every other oil change.
My F350 6.4 came with a MiniMaxx already in it, seems to work ok...(but then I know nothing about diesels)...

Where is this water separator filter at on the truck? I opened the engine compartment, but then closed it right away, cause it looked scary...:surprise:

Attachments

#3 ·
#5 ·
There is a MiniMaxx for sale in the classified section......

#6 ·
I have tested the three big tuners, Mini Maxx, Spartan, DPF-R and I would go with MiniMaxx, I did a write up about it on my site which is linked in my signature.

The minimaxx is all around a good tuner, it gives you all the options you could want and its a reasonable price, the DPF-R is definitely still a good choice just much less features which is a bummer for some people.

#8 · (Edited)
The water separator filter/housing is inside the left side frame rail almost directly below the driver door--has a yellow handle on it. (If you have a 4x4, kind of awkward to get to the drain) Get a clear plastic cup and get under there--place the cup directly under the drain hole and carefully turn the yellow handle---I say carefully, as many of them become frozen if not opened regularly--and catch about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of diesel, then close it. Take a good look at the bottom of the clear cup--you should see some tiny dirt flecks and possibly a water bubble at the bottom. Water is heavier than diesel and will be at the bottom. If you don't see any dirt or bubbles, that is good. You really need to keep up with this water filter since if you get water past the filter, it will grenade the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) and send metal shavings thruout the fuel system--big trouble, big $$$.
And---big AND---use ONLY Motorcraft fuel filters or you may have a 'no-start' situation after changing the filters. AND, another AND, there is a re-start sequence that needs to be followed religiously when the filter it changed, or you might get air into the system.
Welcome to the ownership of one of the spectacular 6.4L Ford diesels....

Here is some reading for you:

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps64_manual/64L_overview.pdf

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps64_manual/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.