Banks and DPF delete? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty truck with 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Banks and DPF delete?

Any way to do this? Need to improve those MPG's!
nader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Look at this site DPF-R "THE" DPF DELETE. As per the feedbacks seems that their programmers DPF-R and DPF-R+ work fine with the 6.4 PSD SixGun.

According to Gear Box Z Inc., the DPF-R+ also works with the SixGun because the dpf delete (DPF-R) can be installed as a stand alone or in a pack with their Eco Tune (DPF-R+). So if you purchased the DPF-R+ you could try out their Eco Tune and if you wish you could still go back to the SixGun later on and just use the DPF delete option of their programmer.
H&S Mini Maxx, SDP Downpipe/CAT/DPF Delete, Banks Monster Exhaust Dual-Tip, Turbo Socks, DEI Exhaust Wrap (half downpipe),
Banks RamAir Intake, Dieselsite Boots Kit, MBRP Intercooler Tube, Flo-Pro EGR Delete Kit,
Power-Stroke Connection CCV System, Dieselsite Coolant and Transmission Oil Filtration Systems, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Last edited by Caribe_Pick_up; 10-05-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Caribe_Pick_up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
With Banks, not yet.

Right now, your option is as Caribe suggested. I've read pretty good things regarding the DPF-R+

'08 F250 6.4L Lariat 4x4 CC/SRW fully loaded, special ordered
6" Fabtech 2.25 dual shock lift w/18" AR wheels, 35" Toyo AT
Avic-Z2 (Z3 Mod) Nav/Stereo w/iPod, Bluetooth, XM NavTraffic
(2) Rear headrest mnt DVD entertainment systems
Line-X bedliner
Banks CAI, Dual Exhaust, 6-Gun, Speed Brake & iQ (test vehicle)
Bushwacker Fender Flares (color matched)
Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bush
Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4 a gallon gasoline?. . . That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.
smotrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Perfect. Thanks for guys.
nader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
The DPFr seems to be an economy tune, is this the case? For more power, perhaps the spartan is the way to go - any thoughts?
Old 10-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm about to do dpf and cat delete with spartan on my 450. I hope my mpg's go up.
maki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2010, 06:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

The DPF-R only deletes the regeneration sequence in such way that the PCM not even know what is a DPF. The DPF-R+ do the same plus includes the ECO-Tune which is intended to maximize the MPG in a conservative way, so it is safe for towing. I am seriously considering that option since wants to keep this truck for my son, he is 13 years old. I also wants to have the option to use my Six-Gun because I am quite happy with it.
H&S Mini Maxx, SDP Downpipe/CAT/DPF Delete, Banks Monster Exhaust Dual-Tip, Turbo Socks, DEI Exhaust Wrap (half downpipe),
Banks RamAir Intake, Dieselsite Boots Kit, MBRP Intercooler Tube, Flo-Pro EGR Delete Kit,
Power-Stroke Connection CCV System, Dieselsite Coolant and Transmission Oil Filtration Systems, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Last edited by Caribe_Pick_up; 10-24-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Caribe

Basically you can use the DPFr along with the Banks? The DPFr eliminating the DPF from the computer and straight piping the exhaust. Then using the Banks to make more power. I understand that. Isn't the banks tuned and programmed to have the back pressure from the DPF? Or do you think that the Banks will continue to make power as usual (or possibly even better)?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Jeff

According to the feedbacks posted at the DPF-R's site, it works quite well with the Six-Gun. I also have (in written) a Gearbox Z confirmation that their product works fine (without conflicts) with the Six-Gun.

In the other hand I have the same exact question than you. The Six-Gun was conceptualized to get the more power possible with 2% less, the same, and 2% more soot compared with the stock programming (having the back-pressure imposed by the DPF). Then could it work efficiently and effectively without a DPF installed? I don't know, I guess that yes. But what I surely know is that want to see the least soot possible with a straight pipe and EGR blocking plates installed. And if I can shift on the fly the power levels based on the EGT much better. I will do a call to Banks' Technical Services department appealing to know what I should expect from the Six-Gun with the aforementioned set up. They know the design architecture of the Six-Gun system so could deduce how it should work without the known back-pressure. I will let you know.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribe_Pick_up View Post
Jeff

According to the feedbacks posted at the DPF-R's site, it works quite well with the Six-Gun. I also have (in written) a Gearbox Z confirmation that their product works fine (without conflicts) with the Six-Gun.

In the other hand I have the same exact question than you. The Six-Gun was conceptualized to get the more power possible with 2% less, the same, and 2% more soot compared with the stock programming (having the back-pressure imposed by the DPF). Then could it work efficiently and effectively without a DPF installed? I don't know, I guess that yes. But what I surely know is that want to see the least soot possible with a straight pipe and EGR blocking plates installed. And if I can shift on the fly the power levels based on the EGT much better. I will do a call to Banks' Technical Services department appealing to know what I should expect from the Six-Gun with the aforementioned set up. They know the design architecture of the Six-Gun system so could deduce how it should work without the known back-pressure. I will let you know.

Thanks, keep me posted
Old 10-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Since the DPF product chnages programming and the Banks 6 Gun does not - it intercepts and modified signals - there is no reason on the surface they should interfere. The backpressure in the exhaust being "not normal" as seen by the 6 Gun should be something it can command around.

Not sure what the DPF does with the exhaust temp signals - if one goes bad it disables the engine normally - if the Banks needs them it might stumble over them missing.
Traded March 2013
2008 F450 CC Lariat White/Gold, JAD Solutions Lights, 62 Gal Titan, B&W Hitch, Gold Remote Start, TruckTrunk box, Viair 550+2x2.5gal receiver, 2010 NAV and Sync
---------------------
Traded In Nov 07:
2003 F250 CC LB XLT 4x2 PowerStroke, Captains Chairs, White/Parchment, Torqshift, Heated Mirrors, Trailer hitch
guardrail22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

I just talked abut this subject with someone at Banks Technical Support. He told me without hesitate the following.

1st - The 6.4s SixGun will work fine with a PCM program that is as the stock one except by that regeneration sequence is deleted and an EGRs closing output is programmed on it.

2nd - The SixGun will work efficiently anyway, with or without the DPF and having the EGRs blocked.

3rd Using the SixGun the immediate motor exhaust will contain the same soot levels with or without the DPF back pressure.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Upss. Now received in written the following answer (which business wise is also understandable) for my yesterday's on-line request.

"Because Gale Banks Engineering strives to design and manufacture products to be emissions compliant we develop our products to work with factory emissions components rather than to eliminate them. We do not perform any testing on vehicles with any emission components removed. Nor do we recommend removing, bypassing or disabling any factory emissions components. It is for these reasons that we are unable to determine how our products will perform under these conditions."

Decisions, decisions!

Last edited by Caribe_Pick_up; 10-26-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribe_Pick_up View Post
Upss. Now received in written the following answer (which business wise is also understandable) for my yesterday's on-line request.

"Because Gale Banks Engineering strives to design and manufacture products to be emissions compliant we develop our products to work with factory emissions components rather than to eliminate them. We do not perform any testing on vehicles with any emission components removed. Nor do we recommend removing, bypassing or disabling any factory emissions components. It is for these reasons that we are unable to determine how our products will perform under these conditions."

Decisions, decisions!
They are very interested in attaining emission and keeping certification and therefore cannot promote mods that might endanger that.

My biggest reason to remove the dpf is to avoid the regen cycle that has gone berserk since installing the Banks (at higher power levels). I have the option of taking the banks off OR run it in stock position - kind of defeats the purpose. I will try the reflash that the Banks Tech recommended (although seems unlikely) and then go to the next step.

I will keep you posted also on my progress.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

After reflash from the factory and ram air, the truck runs great. I am not thinking of changing the dpf at this time - things are great. Over 10 miles to the gallon towing and no black soot on the trailer.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.