DOC Delete - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty truck with 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DOC Delete

I've done the search on this forum and know a little but am hoping someone with more knowledge can help. I will be doing a DPF delete this spring. My goals:
  1. Engine longevity. I can almost stomach the crappy mileage with the DPF, but I am not prepared to sacrifice my engine lifespan for it.
  2. Mileage.. Of course
  3. I am not looking for tire ripping power, just a little additional torque and hp when towing
What advantages/disavantages are associated with a DOC delete along with the DPF delete?

Here is what I think I know;
  • DOC delete will improve mileage (verly slightly)
  • DOC delete will increase exhaust noise (more hiss)
  • DOC delete will not affect smoke (no more or no less)
  • DOC delete will not affect the tuner (H&S mini maxx)
Is there anything else I am missing? I think I know the advantages to DOC delete. Are there any disadvantages to deleting the DOC along with the DPF?

If I delete the DOC along with the DPF, which manufacturer makes the best pipe? I am looking for longevity (i.e. stainless). Most of the sites do not seem to detail pipe composition.

Sorry, I know this topic has been beat to death. I just cannot find a good summary of the benefits or disadvantages of DOC delete. Thanks for any comments.
2008 super cab Long Box 4x4, XLT limited,SRW, H&S Mini Maxx Tuner, 2.5" ICON lift w/ Bilstein shocks, 35 x 12.50 ProComp extreme all-terrains, Custom Aluminum Bumper, 12k Winch, 6" 150 Watt spot lights, 5" 100 Watt flood lights, ride-rite airbags & tork lift spring extensions, Cloudveil mudflaps, boat towing/camper hauling machine
finaddict is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finaddict View Post
Engine longevity. I can almost stomach the crappy mileage with the DPF, but I am not prepared to sacrifice my engine lifespan for it.
Yet oddly enough you can stomach breathing the the increased hydrocarbon/particulate emissions and have no problem sacrificing the lifespan of everyone else that has to breathe that crap as well.

Quote:
Sorry, I know this topic has been beat to death. I just cannot find a good summary of the benefits or disadvantages of DOC delete. Thanks for any comments.
well let's start with:
  1. It is illegal to remove or disable an emissions device
  2. Doing so is morally irresponsible and disrespectful to the rest of the 7 billion human inhabitants on the planet
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 01-19-2013 at 12:21 PM.
ford_doctor is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
My son works in the oil patch in northern Canada. His 2008 had 296,000 kms on it when we replaced the DPF. When his 2 year old son gets old enough, he will be grateful that his Daddy and his grampy did the right thing.

After all, what the ford doctor guy doesn't say is that if we don't act morally responsible, who will?
hiram walker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the lectures on morals Gents. I am hoping for answers to my questions, not sermons.
2008 super cab Long Box 4x4, XLT limited,SRW, H&S Mini Maxx Tuner, 2.5" ICON lift w/ Bilstein shocks, 35 x 12.50 ProComp extreme all-terrains, Custom Aluminum Bumper, 12k Winch, 6" 150 Watt spot lights, 5" 100 Watt flood lights, ride-rite airbags & tork lift spring extensions, Cloudveil mudflaps, boat towing/camper hauling machine
Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
That is fine sir. I don't mean to impose my morals and thoughts about how we all share the burdon of protecting ourselves from ourselves and one another. I suppose you are one of the few people who are above the law. I do however wonder that if all of this vehicle modification and illegal tampering of emission devices continues at the pace it is and as flagrantly displayed as it is on the Internet and on the public roads eventually, hopefully, the result will be stronger enforcement, annual vehicle inspections and HEAVY fines to the owners of such modified vehicles. Ask the owners of EDGE Products how that $500,000 fine feels.

However I digressed and I must apologize.

Good luck with those mods Sir!
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Read the link I posted about big brother cracking down. I bet the vehicle owners will be next.
08F450Superduty is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
Quote:
... I am hoping for answers to my questions, not sermons.
You asked about the disadvantages of removing, disabling and/or tampering with emission control devices. Increased frequency/severity of cardiopulmonary disease is one of the disadvantages. That's an answer, not a sermon.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.
drcampbell is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Thanks for the lectures on morals Gents. I am hoping for answers to my questions, not sermons.
Mechanically there aren't any disadvantages from deleting in my opinion other than the vehicle doesn't comply with environmental standards.
2008 F350 JOB 1, H&S MINI MAXX W/S1M, SINISTER EGR/COOLER DELETE, AFE CAI, FLO-PRO IC PIPE & INTAKE ELBOW, CCV MOD, 5" FLO-PRO DP BACK EXHAUST, ROTELLA EC-1 RATED COOLANT, DIESELSITE COOLANT FILTER, 6000K BEAMERS HID HEAD & FOGLIGHTS, 2.5" LEVELING KIT, AIR LIFT 5000LB AIR BAGE W/ONBOARD COMPRESSOR, KMC XD HOSS WHEELS W/35X12.5R20 NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS
superduty6.4 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Re: DOC Delete

Hmmm seems with the path the government is on they wont have money to come look at are trucks. They are broker than a joke, America was made breaking the laws of the land and not listening to a dictatorship. Thank God for for governors like Scott Walker
Sent from the can!
APEX06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Re: DOC Delete

You will also see lower exhaust temps

Sent from the can!
APEX06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Now that all the tree huggers are done, I will tell you my experience with the DOC and DPF delete that I done this weekend. I for one was tried of paying $4.80 a gallon for diesel fuel and only getting 10mpg on the road if I was lucky. When I was towing my 5th wheel I was only seeing 6 mpg. That is crazy. I know guys running over the road trucks pulling 80,000lbs. getting better milleage than that. I used a 5" exhaust from the downpipe back. No DPF, no Cat, and no muffler. The sound is great and the power on just the stock settings is much better. In my opinion there is no disadvantages to doing the deletes. The truck and engine will run all around better and get better milleage. I don't see how the epa says they are helping the environment when we have to burn twice the amount of fuel to reduce emissions. If our government would concentrate on more important things then this country would be in much better shape then it is now.

2008 Keystone Raptor 3612 38' Toy Hauler 16,700lbs. GVWR

2012 Ford F-450 6.7L 4x4 XL Chassis Cab 11' Service Body

SOLD: 2001 F-350 PSD Lariat CC 4x4 LB Auto, 5" flo-pro twister race muffler, isspro pyro, boost, and tran gauges on a-pillar. DP-Tuner (stock, 40, 60, 80, 120), Cobra 29 CB with 4' Firestik, Prodigy Brake Controller, Tru-Cool 4739
RTRF350 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

You might missing the boat on finding a tuner to do the delete if you wait too long.

I might suggest that you look into a clean tuner that works with the emissions and keeps all of the ford safe operating limits in mind.

Banks is one...it is CARB certified..so therefore it will be good elsewhere as well.

Just an alternative.

don't expect hugh gains. I get 7-9 towing around 23K with mine. And when I towing like that I want reliability..I want to know that I will get to point B.
senix is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
You might missing the boat on finding a tuner to do the delete if you wait too long.

I might suggest that you look into a clean tuner that works with the emissions and keeps all of the ford safe operating limits in mind.

Banks is one...it is CARB certified..so therefore it will be good elsewhere as well.

Just an alternative.

don't expect hugh gains. I get 7-9 towing around 23K with mine. And when I towing like that I want reliability..I want to know that I will get to point B.
Thanks Senix, I appreciate the advice. I know your a pro-DPF guy, which I completely understand. I already purchased the H&S Minimaxx and am presently running it with the DOC/DPF in place. As you know it works with or without. I was going to buy a tuner and had been doing the research for some time. As soon as I heard about the EPA efforts, I bought the H&S. I knew it would be the first to have a supply/demand issue. I suspect that the pipe components will be targeted next. ;-) I am trying to decide that if I delete, will I take the DOC off as well as the DPF. I am still undecided.

Last edited by finaddict; 01-20-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Thanks Senix, I appreciate the advice. I know your a pro-DPF guy, which I completely understand. I already purchased the H&S Minimaxx and am presently running it with the DOC/DPF in place. As you know it works with or without. I was going to buy a tuner and had been doing the research for some time. As soon as I heard about the EPA efforts, I bought the H&S. I knew it would be the first to have a supply/demand issue. I suspect that the pipe components will be targeted next. ;-) I am trying to decide that if I delete, will I take the DOC off as well as the DPF. I am still undecided.
I could be wrong but most of the delete pipes also include the removal of the dpf as well as the doc.
2008 F350 JOB 1, H&S MINI MAXX W/S1M, SINISTER EGR/COOLER DELETE, AFE CAI, FLO-PRO IC PIPE & INTAKE ELBOW, CCV MOD, 5" FLO-PRO DP BACK EXHAUST, ROTELLA EC-1 RATED COOLANT, DIESELSITE COOLANT FILTER, 6000K BEAMERS HID HEAD & FOGLIGHTS, 2.5" LEVELING KIT, AIR LIFT 5000LB AIR BAGE W/ONBOARD COMPRESSOR, KMC XD HOSS WHEELS W/35X12.5R20 NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS
superduty6.4 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

I would not delete just the DPF without deleting the DOC...would make it MUCH more difficult...a lot of bolts holding those two things together. Also, the DPF-only delete pipes I've seen are not a smooth airflow transition from the DOC.

As far as harmful for the air we breathe...I'm, uh, not QUITE sure that what's coming out of the exhaust during a regen is so good for us.

Oh, and on a trip from Cleveland, OH back home to VA through the PA mountains I got over 16mpg at 60mph...in a truck with 4.88 axle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.