DOC Delete - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty truck with 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #31 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yeh i would love for a black-smokin, rattlin, oil-lamp-smelling diesel to be harmless to the air, but they are not:

The Toxicity of Diesel Exhaust: Implications for Primary Care
Diesel exhaust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dirty diesel - Health & Wellbeing
frank faucheux is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty1 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but when the DPF catches soot and burns it, it doesn't just disappear into thin air....it's gotta go somewhere.
I've been led to believe that it is turned into ash, and is collected in the DPF.
Ford Senior/Master/Diesel Technician in the Greater Toronto Area. Contact me for help getting your vehicle serviced. Do not contact me with anything pertaining to performance modifications. Proud to be a member of Ford Doctors Diesel Technician Society.
alexb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08F450Superduty View Post
Read the link I posted about big brother cracking down. I bet the vehicle owners will be next.
As they should be.
Ford Senior/Master/Diesel Technician in the Greater Toronto Area. Contact me for help getting your vehicle serviced. Do not contact me with anything pertaining to performance modifications. Proud to be a member of Ford Doctors Diesel Technician Society.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #34 (permalink)

FWIW, I'd like to applaud those of you "tree-huggers" who are taking a stand for the air our kids breathe, and understand it's not all just a conspiracy against "rolling coal".
Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #35 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty1 View Post
... diesel soot general settles on the ground ...
One of the reasons fine particulate matter (PM2.5) has been singled out for special attention is that it doesn't settle to the ground. It remains airborne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaddict View Post
... Moderators: Please close this thread.
Should've done that from the very first post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/
" ... The Diesel Stop ... does not promote tampering with ANY EPA pollution devices ... !"

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.

Last edited by drcampbell; 01-23-2013 at 05:57 PM.
drcampbell is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Ty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
I've been led to believe that it is turned into ash, and is collected in the DPF.
So you're telling me that 120,000 miles, how ever many thousands of gallons of diesel all fits into a little ash pan??????? It doesn't just vaporize...my 08 along with 5 other buddies' trucks all had a hint of soot in there tailpipes from the day they left the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
FWIW, I'd like to applaud those of you "tree-huggers" who are taking a stand for the air our kids breathe, and understand it's not all just a conspiracy against "rolling coal".
We all have our beleifs... try running a farm where your diesel costs for 3 tractors ends up making you loose money....happened to me...after loosing too much to where I was gonna go bankrupt, I deleted everything on my trucks and tractors....My diesel use was cut in just over half....I now can barely afford groceries for the winter while ya'll are walking into walmart daily to buy your groceries cause guys like me still dealt with all the crap and managed to still put food on the shelves for you. Just so you know, I'm a beleiver in conserving fuel...not rolling coal...nothing of mine is even odvious that it smokes cause I use tuning to minimize smoke and maximize mileage. I don't like the guys that roll coal cause they're just drawing attention and giving the rest of us a bad name. Put it in short term, I'm not a coal roller. I'm just trying to break even and doing whatever I have to to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
One of the reasons fine particulate matter (PM2.5) has been singled out for special attention is that it doesn't settle to the ground. It remains airborne.
It has come to my attention from a pollution expert that I got on the phone with last night is that diesel does settle on the ground. Other fine particulates like coal particulates for example is what causes most of the problems. Not my opinion, just a fact from a guy that deals with this stuff every day. I have 5 other friends that are nurses that all tell me that almost every respirtory or pollution related issue they deal with in the hospitals is from people either with weak respirtory systems in the big cites, or people that smoked at a young age and/or just smoke all the time. Once again, not my opinion, just facts from people that work with this every day.

I guess I said what I have to say. I am sorry to the man on this post that didn't want all of this bull crap on here. I am more than likely going to unsubscribe from this thread so my email doesn't get so friggin full. I hope you all have a great day!

2006 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~4 inch Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, DFUSER Coolant Filter, XDP EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs & Black Diamond HGs, SCT SF3 3015 w/ Custom Tunes from Matt @ Gearhead, Air Lift Load Lifter 5,000s w/ On Board Compressor System, My POV~~

Early 2004 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~ 03 motor, Straight pipe with stock pipe, DFUSER Coolant Filter, River City Diesel EGR Delete, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Flatbed, Regular Cab...my Cow feeding/farm truck ~~~

2008 F-350 6.4 POWERSTROKE!!!~~Diamond Eye 4 Inch Turbo Back DPF DELETE Exhaust, SCT SF3 3015R Race Tuner, Sinister MFG EGR Delete, AFE High Flow Filter~~NOT A SINGLE REPAIR!!~~~~

LONG GONE>>400,000 MILES!!!~~1999 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke 6 Speed with AFE Cold Air Intake, Hypertech Max Energy, Air-Lift Load Lifter 5,000s.............and of course a Dixie Horn~~~
Ty1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #37 (permalink)

Ty1, obviously you have not read the links and articles in my posts.
My now deceased at 85 years old, aunt, told different stories about respiratory illnesses that she saw in NO in the 60s and 70s. Hopefully we do not go back in time with emissions standards!

"Who then is free? The wise man who can govern himself."
China has gone beyond being wise and 'viably' self-governing. Ignorance somewhat excuses behaviors, but denial after we have learned is not so wise.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #38 (permalink)
Ty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank faucheux View Post
Ty1, obviously you have not read the links and articles in my posts.
My now deceased at 85 years old, aunt, told different stories about respiratory illnesses that she saw in NO in the 60s and 70s. Hopefully we do not go back in time with emissions standards!

"Who then is free? The wise man who can govern himself."
China has gone beyond being wise and 'viably' self-governing. Ignorance somewhat excuses behaviors, but denial after we have learned is not so wise.
Keep in mind that China uses more coal than we do. If it means anything to you, I was considering going to biodiesel just for the risk of running equipment inside buildings etc....then they decided to raise the price 10 cents higher per gallon which when you go through 15,000 gallons per year doesn't exactly help the bottom line. I read your articles. Maybe I just don't realize how bad it is in the populated cities. Where I'm at and within a 500 mile radius, the only case of someone getting sick from exhaust of any kind was when they were in a tight building with running equipment or they put their face by an exhaust pipe to see what it smelled like.

2006 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~4 inch Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, DFUSER Coolant Filter, XDP EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs & Black Diamond HGs, SCT SF3 3015 w/ Custom Tunes from Matt @ Gearhead, Air Lift Load Lifter 5,000s w/ On Board Compressor System, My POV~~

Early 2004 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~ 03 motor, Straight pipe with stock pipe, DFUSER Coolant Filter, River City Diesel EGR Delete, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Flatbed, Regular Cab...my Cow feeding/farm truck ~~~

2008 F-350 6.4 POWERSTROKE!!!~~Diamond Eye 4 Inch Turbo Back DPF DELETE Exhaust, SCT SF3 3015R Race Tuner, Sinister MFG EGR Delete, AFE High Flow Filter~~NOT A SINGLE REPAIR!!~~~~

LONG GONE>>400,000 MILES!!!~~1999 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke 6 Speed with AFE Cold Air Intake, Hypertech Max Energy, Air-Lift Load Lifter 5,000s.............and of course a Dixie Horn~~~
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #39 (permalink)
Ty1

I'll say it again...running the land to supply food/ingredients for our grocery store shelves does not come with a 401k or a $300,000 per year salary. I generally would leave my trucks stock...but when you have 80,000 in operating and you only got 75,000 back from what you had to sell and need to afford your winter food and payments, you've gotta do what you've gotta do. And luckily most of us that do what we've gotta do aren't in highly populated areas, hence no one getting harmed by anything.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #40 (permalink)
Ty1

When the EPA completely ruins all the vehicles and equipment that we need to run America's farms, and the only option is unleaded gas or electric, I hope you don't mind starving. Yes they can use other things than diesel, but either the diesel will be such a pile of junk or weak, that when gas or electric are the only option, you will starve. They have yet to make a gas tractor that's powerful enough to pull the heavy equipment, that most of the farmers will just say F it, cause they won't be able to afford 3 smaller tractors or be able to find the help to operate them. The end result is not enough of us to supply the food demand, then we're screwed. They have ONE electric tractor that could replace everything, but the main generator for it is diesel, whattaya know! Until the government quits screwing the farmer, and we can have lower costs on what we need to operate and better salaries, the diesel motor is the only option... when that goes to burning more diesel than a guy can afford or can't do the job, you and everyone else will be living in poverty. Although 2% of us are actually involved in Ag, America is still more of an ag country unlike china where they're an industy country. Maybe that's why China is more d!cked than we are. That's my 50 cents worth. Modern society has nothing good to say about the farmer cause they have been convinced that we are the main enemy. Did you know that everyone washing their vehicles is causing more water pollution than us spraying pesticides? That's why I don't have any links like you can find from the gov. supported wickepedia or epa sites. I'm not asking you to change your opinion, but the ignorance is honestly pissing me off. To the man that started this thread, I am deeply sorry for completely changing the subject. Any question you may have I'd be happy to answer. Till then, I won't put up another post as I don't have the time to repeat this same thing over and over. Have a good day.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #41 (permalink)

I just received my Flo Pro DOC/DPF delete or "race pipe" today. It is made of 16 Gauge T409 series stainless steel. It looks well made. I haven't tried installing yet so I can't judge how well it fits yet. I had ordered a DPF delete pipe but they substituted this. I would prefer leaving the DOC in the effect would be neglegible and would reduce NOX in thevexm The pipe looks good though.
2008 F450 DRW CC LWB 4x4 Off Road, Lariat, Oxford White, 4.30 LS rear end, Navigation, audiophile stereo, Memory package seats, heated seats, heated mirrors, warmup heat option, power back window, traction control system, backup alarm, rear DVD with wireless headphones.
2x6 Bulldog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #42 (permalink)

i know plenty of local farmers making a helluva living right now
for the OP, please take all of the "numbers' you hear with a grain of salt.
i do a lot of city driving between trips with the fifth wheel
my milage between trips in town is 13-13.5
i get 17-18 light on the highway at 65-70mph
i get 10.5-11 pulling a 14K lb fifth wheel at 65
when i no longer need to tow, i will drive a truck that doesn't weigh 8500-9000 lbs, with 3.73 gears and 650 ft lbs of torque
these trucks do what they were built for well
5k mile oil changes, clean fuel and clean air is the key
i will also make sure i get the full blown radiator flush when due
i have pulled pop-ups with a cj7 and got 12mpg
i have pulled a 25 ft holiday rambler with a 1993 suburban and got 12 mpg
i have pulled a utility trailer with commercial mowers on it with a 4 cyl. nissan and got 12 mpg
my brothers pull 16k lb equipment trailers with 7.3 fords (bone-stock)and get 11 mpg
it takes x energy to move x mass, and when you do it with diesel and air or gasoline and air there is a thresh-hold related to the mass and the energy required that you will not cross with air and petroleum as fuel
i also think that when you modify these trucks, you should be financially able to cover the repairs, whether or not you are still in warranty.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #43 (permalink)

Excuse my ignorance... But is farm use not considered as "off-road"?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #44 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Re: DOC Delete

Depends, will you need a license plate? If the answer to that is yes, then your answer is no.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.

'08 F250 6.4L Lariat 4x4 CC/SRW fully loaded, special ordered
6" Fabtech 2.25 dual shock lift w/18" AR wheels, 35" Toyo AT
Avic-Z2 (Z3 Mod) Nav/Stereo w/iPod, Bluetooth, XM NavTraffic
(2) Rear headrest mnt DVD entertainment systems
Line-X bedliner
Banks CAI, Dual Exhaust, 6-Gun, Speed Brake & iQ (test vehicle)
Bushwacker Fender Flares (color matched)
Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bush
Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4 a gallon gasoline?. . . That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.
smotrs is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #45 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
There are different emission standards for on-road and nonroad engines:
DieselNet: Diesel Exhaust Emission Standards

A pickup truck is certified under the "light truck" emission standards when it's manufactured and those standards apply for the life of the truck. It doesn't become a "nonroad" engine because it's used on a farm, and it doesn't need to be recertified in a different category.

But the distinction is irrelevant. It's illegal to remove, bypass, defeat, render inoperative or otherwise tamper with any emission-control device required by the original equipment certification on both motor vehicles and nonroad engines.

1986 Isuzu P'up, 177,673.8 miles.
- Hella headlights (highly recommended)
- DOT C-2 back end (also recommended)
- R-12 air conditioner converted to R-406a. Saved ozone and money
- 4.1:1 final drive converted to 3.4:1. Quieter, better mileage but it's a good thing I live in the flat Midwest.
- 9/22/2007, age 21: Still running well when reluctantly sent away for reincarnation, due to body & frame rust.

Last edited by drcampbell; 01-27-2013 at 06:39 PM.
drcampbell is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.