DPF After market - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty truck with 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF After market

I was just wondering if anybody knows if there is an aftermarket, better flow DPF for the 6.4L. So that we may suffice the needs of the EPA--keeping this a ULEV but also increase mileage. Unfortunately, the EPA may start going after those who made DPF-delete mods, but I'm sure that a "similar" DPF wouldn't be illegal.

It is a double edge sword as far as I see. It decreases emissions but also makes it not as efficient on a gallon of diesel.
pavehawk2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
There are others out there. However they are not cheap by any means, there would be no cost savings. If you want more flow you need to increase surface area in the DPF thus needing more fuel to clean a larger DPF
sheepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

When was the date that the stupid law went into effect that says trucks have to have a DPF ?
Was it 07 model year or was it Jan 07 or what?
Cause I'm thinking, although mine is an 08 model it was built in May 07, and maybe theres a way around this thing.
Does anybody know?
JoeVacs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Rumor is that trucks don't have to them until 2010 and we are all just Guinea pigs

sheepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 03:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to hkyplr Send a message via Yahoo to hkyplr
I think this is the most common misconception about the new emission laws. The EPA sets the limits of what comes out of the exhaust pipes. They don't care how the manufacturers get there. The manufacturers are the ones who say that DPF's are the best way to meet the tailpipe emissions set by the EPA.
hkyplr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVacs View Post
When was the date that the stupid law went into effect that says trucks have to have a DPF ?
Was it 07 model year or was it Jan 07 or what?
Cause I'm thinking, although mine is an 08 model it was built in May 07, and maybe theres a way around this thing.
Does anybody know?
There's no way around it without breaking the law. Whatever is emissions related on your truck is legally required. If it was on your truck, you can't remove it without breaking at least one law.

If you're operating your truck off-road full time, then that's another story. I don't know what state you live in, but if it's anything like California, the State referee is a major pain in the rear. Best to leave things alone if the truck's all you got. :-)
timid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Rumor is that trucks don't have to them until 2010 and we are all just Guinea pigs
barbara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Sorry to say that Rumor is not exactly correct. It is true that the DPF is not mandated by law. The big 3 choose to meet 2008 emissions standards by using a DPF, there are other solutions out there. But because the big 3 choose to use DPFs they are now emissions equipment and cannot be legally tampered with.

In 2010 the emissions standards get even tougher. If I remember correctly Dodge is the only one claiming to meet the 2010 rules already. So that means both Ford and Chevy will have to do something more to meet 2010 rules.

While we may all be Guinea pigs our pickups need them to meet emissions standards.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

If ford glued a penny to the dash board and called it "emissions equipment" it would be illegal to remove. It does no good to discuss if the DPF is needed or not, as "emissions equipment" it is illegal to remove on any vehicle that is not strictly offroad.
Greasy_Dually is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Has anyone seriously been pulled over and checked to see if its there or not? I mean California yes is stricter than any but that makes me arise another question. Why don't the people fight the EPA on the emissions law? I mean how do we know the EPA and the big 3 aren't doing this to make more money. The more emissions the more expensive it is to buy or even run a truck. Has anyone thought about those dpf's as a marketing ploy to make more money in the factories? How do we know they even work and just aren't there for show? I've seen charts and the whole bit but has anyone really investigated how much they help? It really makes me mad and sad that the diesel world is going downhill. They aren't as much fun as they once were and that really is depressing.

2006 F-250 6.0, Straight pipe, AFe stage 2, SCT Livewire with custom tunes from MPT, Sinister EGR Delete, 4 in. lift, Black ON Black.
teamheeler87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamheeler87 View Post
Has anyone seriously been pulled over and checked to see if its there or not? I mean California yes is stricter than any but that makes me arise another question. Why don't the people fight the EPA on the emissions law? I mean how do we know the EPA and the big 3 aren't doing this to make more money. The more emissions the more expensive it is to buy or even run a truck. Has anyone thought about those dpf's as a marketing ploy to make more money in the factories? How do we know they even work and just aren't there for show? I've seen charts and the whole bit but has anyone really investigated how much they help? It really makes me mad and sad that the diesel world is going downhill. They aren't as much fun as they once were and that really is depressing.
I hardly think the automotive companies would be behind something that has caused them to lose sales for part of a year, while they gear up for the new standards.

When the price of new vehicles goes up, people keep thier older vehicles longer. Therefore automakers try to keep prices down.

One exception is increasing the price to include newer options, that may motivate people to get the latest car. DPF's hardly fit that bill. If they wanted to inflate the price on trucks to get more money, why not make GPS or Premium sound a standard option?

The automotive companies have lobbiests in Washington trying to sway legislation in thier favor, just like any other large industry. And thier main interest is keeping new car prices down.
Greasy_Dually is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamheeler87 View Post

On another forum, there were post about a visual check point on HWY 281 in texas.

RIP: 95 F-350 Powerstroke, 4X4, 5 Spd, Crew Cab,Long Bed, 4" Superlift on 35" BFG All-Terrain, Diesel Innovations 4 Bank chip, 4" exhaust, DIY Tymar, Ranch Hand repalcement bumpers

2004.5 Cummins 600, 2500 Larimie, 4X4, LWB, 48RE, Full billet DTT, FASS fuel system, TST, SMARTY, Flux 3 injectors, Helix cam, Di-Procol (Boost, EGT, Trans, Rail, Fuel), AFE PG7 stage 1, JL Stealth box, Donaldson, 315 BFGs. (893 on fuel )

2005 Chevy 2500 Duramax, Diablo tuner, PYRO.
powerstrokin03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokin03 View Post
On another forum, there were post about a visual check point on HWY 281 in texas.

California doesn't have emissions tests (yet) for diesel powered vehicles at all. The law was changed, recently, to include doesel vehicles whose gross vehicle weight is under 8501 pounds. We're all well over this limit. Here's the deal, though.... at least in California, it's not the job of the cop to actually KNOW if your truck has been modified illegally. If he has a suspicion, you get a ticket. You take that ticket to the state referee which then does an inspection of your vehicle. And you can't just pay the ticket. The ticket only goes away when the referee says your vehicle is compliant.

How do I know? Experience. I was ticketed for an exhaust NOISE violation in my gasser. Cop didn't understand the law and wrote me up anyway. Went to the referee only to find out that he couldn't test my vehicle because of gross vehicle weight. Took that info back to the citing agency (my city police department), and talked my way out of the ticket. Although noise IS different, the way the violation was cited wouldn't be any different.

This doesn't change the fact that modifying that particular component IS ILLEGAL, though.
timid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokin03 View Post
Do you have a link to this? You can PM it to me if it's against the rules to post it. Thanks
2000 F-250 Ex-Cab Shorty - 4x4 - 7.3l - Auto - CAT ELC - 203* - Dieselsite Coolant Filter - AIH Delete - ITP HPX - Bilsteins - Walker BTM - Ford Severe AIS - CCV Canister - SCMT 1700 - Harpooned Tank w/ ITP Pre-Pump Kit - 321k

My truck pics

Check out my 1964 Toyota FJ40 Build
tjsulli790 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsulli790 View Post
Do you have a link to this? You can PM it to me if it's against the rules to post it. Thanks
Can you PM it to me also as I drive through there occasionally.

08 CC FX4 - Stock (SOLD)

04 CC FX4 - Stock... as of right now
silversvo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.