The Diesel Stop banner

DPF Considerations after Cracked DPF Replacement

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  D-Low 
#1 ·
Is there a company that makes a "quick change" DPF delete system? LOL .. that would be cool but maybe not realistic for a guy like me with standard tools, home garage/shop and no lift.

So I finally sent my truck into the Dealership to have the DPF looked at. See my other post: http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f35/black-smoke-ca-smog-test-305086/

Well it was determined that it was bad/cracked... the service guy said he had to fight to get Ford to pay for a replacement DPF because my was only warranted for 60,000 miles... my truck has 60,094... (some of which were put on by the dealer mechanics testing the original DPF after they "re-flashed" PCM with the newest updates... My service guy "fought" with Ford who finally agreed to replace the part...

So here's the deal I just paid my truck off and I plan to keep it. I live in California where we have to "SMOG" our trucks every other year.. Would it behove me to look into a DPF delete system.. and use it to save this new DPF and only put the OE equipment on when I have to go SMOG it... its that even a possibility? Or is it just too much trouble all together...?

#3 ·
I sorta thought that too however I've read on here that the Warranty varies depending on the specific manufacture date of the truck and also the state your in... :shrug03:

#4 ·
On the newer ones they dropped it down to 5/50K miles, the 2008 though is 5/100K. Think it was changed on the 2010, maybe the 2009.

#5 ·
Ok so warranty issue aside, what do you all think about doing the DPF Delete...? Is it easily swapped back to stock? Are there any tuners etc out there that help better monitor the truck and DPF in stock form?

#6 ·
From my own experience, this is a doable procedure by yourself, but having help would make it much easier. I did the delete on mine in my driveway and it took me about 3 hrs for both the dpf and cat. One of the biggest pains in removing the dpf is getting the rubber hanger boots off, there are 3 pairs( maybe only 2 on the dpf alone). Getting the first one off is fairly simple but making the second one stretch can be a real b***h but they will come off with a long pry bar/screw driver, plenty of spray lube and the strongest curse words you know.
Once the hangers are off and the pyro connections removed, you'll remove the bolts and then you have to push the muffler back enough to get the pipes separated, this is where the help is needed, lucky for me I'm tall enough I was able to push it with my feet. Remember this thing weighs +/-75 lbs so you'll have to support this weight while on your back.
I would suggest you only delete the dpf and leave the cat on. The flange that holds the front of the cat to the down pipe has 2 bolts that are in a tight spot and not something you want to have to deal with every time you put it on.
As far as the replacement tube you get will depend on the tuner you buy. I would suggest an H&S mini maxx as you can do without the pyros being reinstalled, but they are getting up there in price since they stopped making them. Others will have to comment on the other brands.
I hope this helps you out. If I were in your shoes I would go for the delete and if it became too much of a pain to do the swap, I'd probably leave the dpf on as you can run the H&S with the dpf active! Good luck.

#7 ·
Thanks for the advise D-Low.. I'll look into the H&S

#9 · (Edited)
I'm not sure that mine could be unbolted or I would have done that because I seriously considered cutting the boots at one point. I may be mistaken though, but yes if they can come off that would save you a lot of hassle. As far as what pipe to use, I got one from thoroughbred diesel, there may be cheaper and there may be better but from what I've seen there's not much difference other than the type and all you really need is a pipe to fill the gap. To answer your original question, I do remember seeing a selonoid controlled diverter on you tube that a guy had installed but I think it was more of a DIY thing that bypassed the dpf interesting concept though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.