Dual Alternators - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty truck with 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dual Alternators

Question: If a 6.4 came from the factory with the single standard or even the single heavy duty alternator, would it be possible to change it to the dual alternators like the factory option?

If you have dual alternators, if one alternator started to fail, would you leave you stranded or would the other alternator keep you going?

I ask because I had the single alternator on my 6.0 Excursion fail when I was 50 miles from the middle of nowhere in the mountains and no cell service in the dead of winter. I made it back with the AGM batteries that replaced the orginal flooded cells.

I often wonder if I had a dual alternator setup if the it would function as a redunandt and allow me to limp back or not.
Rancho 9000's / Rancho Steering Stabilizer
Prodigy Brake Controller in Cubby Hole
ART Rotors
Hensley Hitch
GOS Performance Headlight Harness / Sylvania ExtraVision Bulbs
Pulling a 2008 Airstream 27FB International Signature Series
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've always wondered the same thing...... I am pretty sure that I was told.... that one alt runs all the time.... and that the second one kicks in when there is a power demand that is more than the first one can handle. Now.... if that is true..... it seems to me that the second one would kick in if the first one wasn't making enough power, such as in a primary failure.

and.... I'm sure you can make your truck a dual alt truck if you wanted too... but it is gonna cost a pretty penny compared to what it would have cost as an option. I'd upgrade to the bigger alt before I would try to get duals in there.
2008, F-250, FX4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Oxford White w/ Black Interior, Dual Alternators, Sat. Navigation & Radio, Overhead DVD System, ESOF, Solid Rear Window, 3.73 Limited Slip, Upfitter Switches, Tow Command System w/ Power Scope Mirrors, Power Seats, and the Reverse Aid Sensor - Edge Insight Monitor, 2.5" Icon Lift Kit, Icon 2.5" Piggy-Back Shocks, KMC Beadlocks w/ 33" Toyo M/T's, MBRP DPF back exhaust, Recon mirror lights, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Line-X, MotoBar, Gentex Temp/Direction Mirror, Baja Designs 22" Onx Pro Light Bar
RRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have duals and they both turn all the time. I wouldn't want to install the second if it didn't come from the factory that way . . . pretty tight in there.
Stalwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRose View Post
I've always wondered the same thing...... I am pretty sure that I was told.... that one alt runs all the time.... and that the second one kicks in when there is a power demand that is more than the first one can handle. Now.... if that is true..... it seems to me that the second one would kick in if the first one wasn't making enough power, such as in a primary failure.
Yup, you were right:

2008 F-Super Duty 250-550 Workshop Manual

The key here is that the PCM is controlling it all, so if I did upgrade and bought the 2 alternators, I'd need to see if the PCM could be set for duals...

So, next question: Does anyone know if the PCMs be reprogramed from singal to dual alternators at the dealer?
Rancho 9000's / Rancho Steering Stabilizer
Prodigy Brake Controller in Cubby Hole
ART Rotors
Hensley Hitch
GOS Performance Headlight Harness / Sylvania ExtraVision Bulbs
Pulling a 2008 Airstream 27FB International Signature Series
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 04:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
Yup, you were right:

2008 F-Super Duty 250-550 Workshop Manual

The key here is that the PCM is controlling it all, so if I did upgrade and bought the 2 alternators, I'd need to see if the PCM could be set for duals...

So, next question: Does anyone know if the PCMs be reprogramed from singal to dual alternators at the dealer?
Why don't you just put on a high output 240 amp alt?I seems like it would be a lot more simple.I doubt the dealer is going to be able to reprogram your pcm for dual alternators.
4STAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am also interested in upgrading the alt. on my 08 450 . I would think that upgraded cables , harness , etc. would be needed ? Maybe find a wrecked ambulance ?
bkeeton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd bet possibly the pcm is already programed and would pick it up automatically if it sensed the 2nd alt plugged into the harness. Doesn't seem they would want to write 2 programs. Every penny counts.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Anyone have the part number -s- for the dual alternator setup , bolts , etc , and/or for a 200 A alternator for my 08' F-450 PSD ? I went to motorcraft.com and had no success locating any alternator over 130 A .

thanks,

blake
Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mine came with the single alternator and I picked up the entire setup for the second alternator on Ebay for $80. It includes the second alternator, bracket, cables, and serpentine belt. I have been meaning to call my dealer to see if he can reprogram for it. if he can, I will install it and let you guys know how it goes.

Got patriotism? Buy American!
freekyFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Awesome !

Good luck with the install .

-Blake
Old 08-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

I was just thinking about this because I was looking at getting an Oasis XD3000 air compressor, but the Air Compressor pulls 180 amps.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ocharged View Post
I was just thinking about this because I was looking at getting an Oasis XD3000 air compressor, but the Air Compressor pulls 180 amps.
The single alternator may be the 200A unit. Either way, that 180A rating is the worst case maximum and you're unlikely to see that in normal operation. Even then, a compressor is a very intermittent device and the batteries will readilly take care of any power deficiency for the short time the compressor is running. If you are looking for a compressor to do more than intermittent duty, you need to be looking at PTO drive, not electric.
wp6529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp6529 View Post
The single alternator may be the 200A unit. Either way, that 180A rating is the worst case maximum and you're unlikely to see that in normal operation. Even then, a compressor is a very intermittent device and the batteries will readilly take care of any power deficiency for the short time the compressor is running. If you are looking for a compressor to do more than intermittent duty, you need to be looking at PTO drive, not electric.
Where can I get an engine driven compressor that will fit an '08 superduty?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

You need to look at the places the equip and sell service trucks. Most common setup I've seen is a PTO hydraulic pump powering a hydraulic motor driven air compressor on a service body.

I've seen a site with a high performance air compressor for service trucks, but I don't recall the name offhand. This unit was supposed to be comperable to a towable compressor and able to power high consumption air tools like a jackhammer.
wp6529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

I had dual alts on my previous '04 F350--never any problem with them. But discussions on this forum and FTE at that time indicated that adding the 2nd alt would be physically possible, but the controls (computer) would be almost impossible. Thats what I seem to remember, anyway.
Joe
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.