Edge Juice vs. warranty - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty truck with 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge Juice vs. warranty

Got an '08 f-350,
I really want to get the Edge juice, but i am concerned with it voiding my warranty. Does anyone know how this works?
Thanks

"Burning Diesel Is Like Burning Dinosaur Bones."
ford121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

The Edge juice with attitude can be safely removed and leave no trace.
dfuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuser View Post
The Edge juice with attitude can be safely removed and leave no trace.
Would you be so kind and tell us how this is done.

A friend who has an Edge Juice programmer developed an engine issue, remove the programmer before taking his truck to the dealer, dealer called him a few hours later stating warranty was void due to codes found implying an aftermarket device had been installed.

Please help my friend!!!
Harley350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

What codes were found? I would be interested in hearing this since I have an Edge Juice in my truck. I spoke to the mechanic at my dealership before I purchased the Edge and asked if there were any footprints left by the unit. He said they don't leave any evidence that he can find there at the dealership. I would ask them what led to their conclusion (make em prove it).

Please keep us posted on your friend.

2003 F-250 Lariat S/C LWB Dark Shadow Grey. 6.0 PSD Torqshift, bone stock.
Powerstroker168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Hmmm, one guy says this, another says that... and the dealer correctly identified the fact that the truck had been modified. Food for thought.

Moving beyond the cat and mouse game, wouldn't you, or shouldn't you be more concerned about shortening the lifespan of your engine or damaging the engine and the emissions components?
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

He was givin no codes only told there were "signs" an aftermarke devise was/had been installed.
Harley350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

The easiest thing to do is to follow the guidelines published in the warranty or if need be, challenge any future issues or accept responsibilty.

A.F. & A.M.
USCG Master 100T
"Sail Army"
23608 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
K45

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23608 View Post
The easiest thing to do is to follow the guidelines published in the warranty or if need be, challenge any future issues or accept responsibilty.

That is the easiest way, BUT did the tuner cause the engine problem - Some of these engines are having trouble on thier own.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K45 View Post
That is the easiest way, BUT did the tuner cause the engine problem - Some of these engines are having trouble on thier own.
Actually, according to the warranty information provided by the manufacturer, they don't need to prove whether the tuner caused the problem or not. If they find evidence that YOU modified the engine from factory standards, they no longer need to honor the deal you broke (which was to keep it stock).

The warranty only applies to a stock, factory setting, and any modification you make to your vehicle provides grounds for denial of warranty repair - its as simple as that. If you use consumables, such as filters, or fluids that do not meet factory specs as outlined in the owner's manual, they can deny warranty repair. If how ever your consumable meet or exceed factory spec, they cannot deny warranty.

If you put a tuner on your truck, if you put an after market exhaust, or intake on, you have taken the truck away from its factory settings and have no right to claim warranty service. Its as simple as that.

OMC
Old 03-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley350 View Post
He was givin no codes only told there were "signs" an aftermarke devise was/had been installed.
To my knowledge Edge, does not leave any codes after taking out, but they said 'signs'. now I never put one in an 08 yet, but have done plenty with the older style. I assume that the new ones also need you to install a parameter. Pretty sure that would be a red flag for the dealer.

"Burning Diesel Is Like Burning Dinosaur Bones."
ford121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

No probe. There are only two connections and two fuse taps. One connection is a "Y" into the PCM plug and the other is into the VGT plug.
dgrindst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Signs of a tuner couldverywell be values outside ofthe factory parameters being captured on the computer. This would indicate the modifications have been done. The Attitude allows youto defuel once certain values are hit thereby keeping values recorded within factory parameters. When Ipurchased mine I was told by the vendor that the SCT was better in regards to factory warranty issues (FYI).

Ford has to prove the Tuner caused the problem under the Federal Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Though they say it automatically voids your warranty by law they have to prove it if you challange them. May be more expensive to go to court than just pony up for the repair bill though.

I'd put a few thousand miles on first to make sure there are no issues with the truck then go for it.
cunrya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunrya View Post

Ford has to prove the Tuner caused the problem under the Federal Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Though they say it automatically voids your warranty by law they have to prove it if you challange them. May be more expensive to go to court than just pony up for the repair bill though.

Just an FYI for you the "Federal Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act" will not protect you if you put a tuner on the truck. It was enacted so that you didn't have to use Ford parts for repairs and does not address any aftermarket performance items. If the tuner or part meets Fords specifications then it will be covered under the act, and so far no tuners meet Fords specifications for the truck.

Jim
Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

O.K.: So what I have been reading on multiple threads is that the dealer can void your warranty if you use a tuner. Allright, I am fine with that. But, they should and do have to prove it, i.e. codes. I Do Not have any mods on my truck, but what is to stop a dealer or Ford from just saying so. Sounds paranoid I know but what y'all are saying is wrong, The dealer and Ford have to prove you had done something to cause the failure. If they didn't have to prove it they could just void all of our warrantys and be done with us.

Example: Truck goes in, with excessive fuel in oil, dealer says "well your hp fuel pump is bad but we found evidence you have modified your truck so you are s.o.l.. But wait I haven't done any mechanical mods to this truck. So what I am reading is that we should just turn around with our heads down and leave. I think not. Ford absolutely has to prove it. If they have a code then they have to show you or tell you what it is and that there is no way that code could come up unless a tuner had been used.

This rant comes from reading many of these threads. The truck owner has rights just as well as the manufacturer. As I said earlier, if they didn't have to prove you caused the problem then they would just randomly dishonor warranties.

737tdi
1969 Ford 3/4 ton Camper Special
737tdi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

The problem is that most people blow up their stuff and lie about it, ranther than pay to play. Those same people beyotch that trucks cost too much. Why? Because they are ripping the manufacturer off everyone else who buys any vehicle form that maker pay for it, Ford, Chevy Dodge or even Toyota. If you put Gasoline in the tank would it also be Ford's responsibility? What if you fueled it with NitroGlycerin? Would make a hell of a lot of power for a millisecond. Oops I blew it up.. drain the Nitro, take it to the dealer. Play innocent....

It is rather obvious when the heads are off that there is or was a tuner installed. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when all 8 cylinders have blown the gaskets, it ain't a 'factory defect'. One or two even a bank, ok, but all 8 just won't happen on a stock rig.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.