EGR Blocking, Pros & Cons of Do It. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty truck with 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Blocking, Pros & Cons of Do It.

Hi to all,

Could someone tell me the pros and cons of installing EGR blocks? I have read some about the waste-gate function of the EGR and I am trying to understand the effect of blocking it with and without tuning. The blocking could be detrimental? When it is convenient and when it is not? Is it recomended when you are looking for motor reliability and durability?
H&S Mini Maxx, SDP Downpipe/CAT/DPF Delete, Banks Monster Exhaust Dual-Tip, Turbo Socks, DEI Exhaust Wrap (half downpipe),
Banks RamAir Intake, Dieselsite Boots Kit, MBRP Intercooler Tube, Flo-Pro EGR Delete Kit,
Power-Stroke Connection CCV System, Dieselsite Coolant and Transmission Oil Filtration Systems, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Last edited by Caribe_Pick_up; 11-15-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Caribe_Pick_up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I would only do it if you have the EGR turned off. Otherwise, you'll just be recircuating hot, uncooled exhaust which will probably decrease power and mileage even more.

I would definitely do it if you are planning to continually run a high power tuner that gives you the ability to turn the EGR off.

Pros: You won't hydrolock your engine in the even of a leak. It will just leak out at the block off plates.
Cons: It's illegal on the road and could cost you $10K if you are caught (not likely).

Mod List:
-51 gal RDS direct fill auxillary fuel tank
-SEIC High Idle
-H&S Black Maxx Running the Hot Damn +300 Tune
-S&B Dry CAI
-Diamond Eye 5" Turbo Back Race Exhaust
-Custom 10" Sub Box Behind the Center Console
-Coastaltech SYNC-LP1 Lockpick
-Westin Bull Bar
-Westin Taillight Guards
-Recon LED Smoked Dodge Cab Marker/Clearance Lights
-Billet Fender Vent Inserts
-Zone Offroad 4" Lift
-20x10 BMF Novakane 8's
-35x12.50r20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
-'11 Super Duty Rear Seat Cargo Tray w/410W Power Inverter
tvandyck7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
if u block the gas side then you loose the system ability to relieve overboost. with variabke geomtetry staged turbo charging might not be much of a deal.

you bascially put blanking plates in at each end of the coolers. The valve continues to cycle but nothing happens. Water side doesnt care.

by itself probably doesnt buy you much by itself
Traded March 2013
2008 F450 CC Lariat White/Gold, JAD Solutions Lights, 62 Gal Titan, B&W Hitch, Gold Remote Start, TruckTrunk box, Viair 550+2x2.5gal receiver, 2010 NAV and Sync
---------------------
Traded In Nov 07:
2003 F250 CC LB XLT 4x2 PowerStroke, Captains Chairs, White/Parchment, Torqshift, Heated Mirrors, Trailer hitch
guardrail22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would think that you would need to modify the wastegate so you can bleed off excessive boost.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Eric at IDP talked me out of a delete kit as did Aaron at rudys. They summed it up, if I wasn't spending my time racing, sled pulling or pulling a lot of very heavy loads it would not be worth the expenience until the warranty is out. IF you have to take the vehicle back for some thing, the egr delete it NOT gonna help you get any warranty work done since it is not really reversable.
I'll do it in 2 more years when my warranty goes out.

Eric also sent me an email also stating that he does not have a delete on his at this time and highly recommended against block off plates.

Anyway thats what i learned-ed
Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to RobertAldridge
i wouldnt worry about the waste gate aspect of the egr... hell everyone took them off of 7.3s and 6.0s.. but my truck plugged the egr after 4000 miles with dpf delete and xtreme sct tune so i am going to put on the block off plates on.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.