high idle issues with sct livewire + dpf delete - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty truck with 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
high idle issues with sct livewire + dpf delete

I just did a dpf delete and got the latest livewire 9625OR tuner. Before I got it, the sales guy mentioned it could have idleing issues using a canned tune if I deleted the EGT sensors. Since I was just planning on running the canned tunes I bought the dpf exhause that has the sensor bungs. Got everything installed and it idles high. Tried different tunes and the same problem. Called SCT and the tech guy wasn't much help other than to say the pcm uses imput from the egt sensors for idle speed. He couldn't explain why it was idling high if they were installed. I double checked in the tuner that I did NOT select egt sensors deleted. The truck was running fine with the dpf in place, no check engine lights, etc.. What I did find upon monitoring all the EGT sensors was that the 3rd sensor was reading super high compaired to all the others, 1400 degrees while the others were around 250. I was thinking this could be the problem... I unplugged that sensor just to see what would happen and the tuner is still showing it reading 1400 degrees with it unplugged! Could there be a wiring short somwhere? Or the other possibility I thought of was the pcm reading a max temp like 1400 if the circuit is open like being unplugged, and possibly the sensor is just totally bad? I didn't bend it all up or smash it getting it out...

any suggestions would be great, the high idle thing is pretty annoying at stoplights and parking lots!

Jason

Wife's truck:
'00 Excursion Limited, 4" turbo back, Dura-Lite filter/intake, 20% tint all around.. The highway cruiser!
jd99psd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

dude i have the same thing going on with my 08 with an sct livewire canned tunes with the dpf delete and no sensors in the exhaust at all i would love to know whats wrong too it idles at about 950-975 rpms

some one help us in here
timfrayko9185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

You have to plug the egt sensors back in and do not turn them off, if you left the sensors in then one or all of them are broken, they break very easy
PaulBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

you have to keep the one thats furthest towards the back plugged in.. happened to me when i did mine.. i couldn't get the sensor out of the stock pipe.. found a new on ebay for like $25... installed it plugged it in.. idles normal..
S&B Intake
Livewire w/ IDP, Gearhead and KEM
p8ntballn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yep your right sorry, it is that last one that does it, in case anybody else has an issue also, if you take them out and do not turn them off with a tuner the vehicle will start once after you tune or return to stock then will not start again after that
PaulBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

awesome thanks guys so there are 3 of those sensors and if i reinstall the furthest one back thats the one i need right
timfrayko9185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yup turned out I ruined the sensor when I got it out... Didn't thinkg I was that rough with it but obviously they aren't very hearty parts. Got a new one from the dealer and it runs like a dream.

Jason

Wife's truck:
'00 Excursion Limited, 4" turbo back, Dura-Lite filter/intake, 20% tint all around.. The highway cruiser!
jd99psd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Same Problem!

I just installed a 4" stright exhaust this past weekend from the down pipe back... I used my SCT tuner and programed a simple "street" tune with
DPF deleted, EGTs ON, No new tires, and NO EGR mod.
She's idling around 950-970!

I've read above and even hooked up the rear (3rd) "secondary EGT" sensor, used the monitor function in the programmer and observed the EGT sensor display current temps. The MAIN EGT must be up on the manifold or something.

Why would this solution work since when you select "deleted DPF" I'm assuming the tuner will program the truck NOT to use any of the three "secondary DPF" sensors?

Short of ordering a custom tune I don't know what to do. The truck ran fine with the different tunes before the exhaust mod. I have no CELs and she runs fine... just idles too high!!
Vicseek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Do yourselves a favor and grab some custom tunes they don't have to be high hp. I thought those canned tunes were terrible
srjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.