Remote starter. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty truck with 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Remote starter.

So I want to get a remote starter for a diesel, but I'm kinda worried about it.
In the winter time here in alberta it gets down to -40 degrees celsius. So I'm worried that the remote starter won't run the glowplugs long enough. My dad told me on older diesels you can run the gp till they burn out if you don't turn the ignition back or start the truck. The newer trucks only let them run for XX seconds before it will turn off the gp. So will a remote starter run the gp for too long? Is it possible to get a remote starter to cycle the gp 2 or 3 times? Also is it bad for a truck if the gp's are only ran for say 2 seconds and they aren't heated up enough? I don't have a remote starter in mind these are just some general qeustions for 08-09 6.4 engines and for 07 6.0 engines. I've got a remote starter for my car and I love it, but it's not a diesel so any and all help is appreciated.

*EDIT*
How satisfied are you with a remote start on your diesel trucks? Would you recommend it?

Last edited by Rushing; 02-26-2009 at 01:48 AM. Reason: New qeustion.
Rushing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's not the remote start that runs the glow plugs, the remote start module tells the computer in your truck that the vehicle is going to be turned on and then there is a delay built into the remote start unit which allows your glow plugs to cycle (mine is 30 seconds) before the remote start gives the signal to turn over the motor, as for cycling the GP's two or three time I don't believe they will do that you might be able to extend the delay time but that's it. If you only run the GP's for 2 seconds you may have a bit of a rough start, and if it is that cold I would recommend plugging in the block heater.
02 F-350 Reg Cab Auto Trans L2 Blue, Marinco Mod, ZooDad Mod, Bilstien HD Shocks, Ford Alarm Code 3 Remote Start, Energy Suspension Spring Bushings and SwayBar Bushings, 2500 Watt Inverter, Sirius Sat. Radio, (Hardwired), Garmin Nuvi 250 (Hardwired), Blue Sea 6 Circuit Fuse Panel X2, Western 8' Pro Plus Ultra Mount Plow, 08 Taillights, Stancor Mod, Ford AIC, AIH Delete, Stainless HPX, Foil Delete, 05 PTM Tow Mirrors, 05 Upfitter Switch, 05 Center Dash, Federal Signal Smart Siren with Signal Master...
nycpsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can program most remote starts to run every few hours. at -40 (Celsius & degrees are the same at -40) I would plug it in, or program starts at 3 hour intervals, and use a good synthetic oil. Your oil turns to tar at those temps.
LSchicago2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpsd View Post
It's not the remote start that runs the glow plugs, the remote start module tells the computer in your truck that the vehicle is going to be turned on and then there is a delay built into the remote start unit which allows your glow plugs to cycle (mine is 30 seconds) before the remote start gives the signal to turn over the motor, as for cycling the GP's two or three time I don't believe they will do that you might be able to extend the delay time but that's it. If you only run the GP's for 2 seconds you may have a bit of a rough start, and if it is that cold I would recommend plugging in the block heater.
30 seconds? does that mean it will run the gp for 4 seconds turn them off, and run them again for 4 seconds? Cause I know on the newer trucks 08-09 for sure they only cycle depending on how cold they are.
Does anyone know at which year they introduced this? On my dad's 89 7.3 you could run the gp till they burnt out.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi: This is my first Diesel and I’m no expert. Hope this helps. Just an example what the Dealer installed on my truck. It is a remote made by Autostart and the model is AS-2350TW-FM, it is a two way system which means that every function you press on the remote FOB, will talk back and forth (hand shake) with the truck and let you know that the truck has received the instruction and the truck will send a signal back to the FOB when the truck has completed that instruction, this is very handy for me because most of the time when I use the remote, I cannot visually see the truck and my last vehicle remote was a “one way” and when I got to the vehicle, it was a hit or miss if it was started. It also has a Cold Weather mode, but I have never used it yet, I’m leaving tomorrow for my annual ice fishing trip and it’s suppose to get below -30 Celsius and there is no place to plug in my truck so I’m thinking of using it 12 hours before I leave to go home, because Cold Weather Mode ends automatically after 24 hours. Also looking up in my remote manual for this information, I noticed that it also has a “Turbo Mode” that lets the turbo idle down for 60 seconds to cool it before the engine shuts off, that I’ll have to look into for the hotter weather.

As for the glow plugs, the remote installer set my timer for 18 seconds I think and have never had a problem with it starting in cold weather and have talk to loggers out in the bush that say that their 6.4 has been the best cold starting Diesel truck to date. As said up above, the truck controls the GP and the remote delay should be enough time for their operation to start the truck, if not the remote will see that the truck did not start and the remote will not try to restart because it will know that some thing is wrong and quit. That said, Ford recommends that the 6.4 should be plugged in 3 hours before a cold start (I believe below -23). I for one don’t live in an area (Northern Ontario) where this is possible all the time. Sorry about the length, hope this helps….MPD56
Built Nov 26 2013 - Picked up Dec 06 2012
-2008 F-350 CC 4X4 Lariat, SRW, 3.73.
Any color, as long as it's "Black".
Ordered 12/31 - Born 02/11 - Picked up 03/29.
-1972 First Ford - 1956 Fairlane - Mint
Rolled it at 100+mph (Teenager, Duh, no one hurt)
Totaled Oct/73 (Over 35 Years ago and still remember that lesson).
-First New Ford - 79 Bronco - Ordered Mar/79
150K Miles - I disassembled 2000 and I sent it to three different scrap yards.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
-2003 - ZRX1200 (Some say "Mid Life", LOL).
-2008 - Jayco 313RKS 5th Wheel.

Last edited by MPD56; 02-25-2009 at 03:00 PM.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD56 View Post
As for the glow plugs, the remote installer set my timer for 18 seconds I think and have never had a problem with it starting in cold weather and have talk to loggers out in the bush that say that their 6.4 has been the best cold starting Diesel truck to date.

Kay just so I understand, cause I know the gp wouldn't run for 14 seconds maybe 5 max. But for 14 seconds it will cycle the gp once for 3 or 4 seconds or whatever and then cycle them another one or two times? Or does it just cycle them once and then try and start it? I know on my car's remote starter it will try starting it 3 times and if it doesn't start after the 3rd time it just won't do anything and flashes the lights a certain amount of times depending on what could be wrong.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

It will just cycle them once unless the vehicles computer is programed otherwise(which they are not) the delay from the remote start is only allowing for the vehicle computer to cycle the GP's (For however long the computer decides based on the info it gathers from the other sensor on the vehicle which will determine how long to cycle the plugs) then after 30 sec or however long it is set the remote start will take over and apply power to the start circuit, it will crank the starter. Depending on the remote start system e.g. if the truck does not start the first time the system will try to start the vehicle up to three times, after the third time it will not try again.
02 F-350 Reg Cab Auto Trans L2 Blue, Marinco Mod, ZooDad Mod, Bilstien HD Shocks, Ford Alarm Code 3 Remote Start, Energy Suspension Spring Bushings and SwayBar Bushings, 2500 Watt Inverter, Sirius Sat. Radio, (Hardwired), Garmin Nuvi 250 (Hardwired), Blue Sea 6 Circuit Fuse Panel X2, Western 8' Pro Plus Ultra Mount Plow, 08 Taillights, Stancor Mod, Ford AIC, AIH Delete, Stainless HPX, Foil Delete, 05 PTM Tow Mirrors, 05 Upfitter Switch, 05 Center Dash, Federal Signal Smart Siren with Signal Master...

Last edited by nycpsd; 02-25-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've sat in the truck and remote started it and only seen the gp cycle once, the truck decides the time the glow plugs stay on. Here is what my manual says

Remote-starting
Press the START/STOP button for approx. 1 second. The parking lights will come ON to inform you that the Remote Car Starter has received your signal. Approximately 5 seconds later, the engine will start. The parking lights will remain ON during the pre-programmed run time of the engine. If the vehicle does not start at the first attempt, the system will shut down. If your vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, there will be 3 start attempts before the system gives up. It also says in the manual that remote start module monitors the tach signal to know if the engine is running or not.

Autostart
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
Old 02-26-2009, 01:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh okay that helps me a lot! Got it all cleared up now.
My question now would be are you diesel owners satisfied with the remote starters(regardless of brand)? I know for my car it was probably my best investment in it.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

I love my remote start, but do not hve it set for real cold temps,
The only thing I dont like is when I try to remote start in real cold temps, if it doesnt start the first time it will set the motion sensors on the security off and wake up the neighbors.
dennisj2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

If I didn't like it, It would not be in my truck.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Any guys in cold regions have a remote start? Opinion on it?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hi: Well it was -33 celsius this morning at an ice fishing lodge and I didn't want to try the remote start because I wanted to start the truck as soon as the GP light went out and thought that the remote might start the truck too long after, if that makes sense. The glow plug light stayed on pretty long. I'm new to diesel engines also. Mine started, but it wasn't smooth and it wasn't firing on all cylinders, next time I'll bring a generator, I don't like treating my stuff like that. When I got home I read that the glow plug is controlled by a glow plug control module that gets it's signal for the length of time from the ECM and my remote start is set for a 18 second delay and will try and start the truck if the GP light is on or off. So I will not remote start my truck below -23c if it has not been plugged in.

FYI
There were two other diesels also that sat parked for 4 days, a chev had to be boosted after being plugged into a generator, but it also was having other problems. A dodge was plugged into a generator for 45 minutes and didn't start on all cylinders and almost needed a boost. I'm not brand bashing, when your in a spot like that, getting out is the main goal. All the gas engines had no problems starting.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have a VIPER system installed in my truck, as I have in my past 2-trucks and would not be without it. My 00-was gas, and the 04 was diesel. The installer has the option to set the delay for remote starting, at least on the VIPER, so I think I am at 20-25 seconds. So far, the system has been flawless, even with some below zero temps in Jan. An important fact to remember that the system is only as good as the installer.

Traded 2009 F350 4x4 C.C./L.B.- 6.4 Auto

Traded in 2004 6.0 4x4 Crew Cab

Traded in 2000 V-10 4x4 Island Blue Supercab
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

The one thing I don't think you guys understand is that gasoline and diesel are two very different types of fuel,as for diesel it gels at 32*F or 0*C. the fuel is not heated by the GP's, but instead it heats the air temp within the cylinder. A diesel engine uses compression and superheated air to ignite the fuel charge not the GP's.Unlike a gasoline that uses spark and compression. the difference between the two compression ratio's is the a gas engine has an optimal compression ratio of 14.7:1 compared to a diesel engine with a optimal compression ratio of 27.1:1

Last edited by nycpsd; 03-03-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.