S&B vs AFE intake - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty truck with 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S&B vs AFE intake

Anyone have any experience with the S&B intake? I took a look at the test results and comparisons on their site and they look compelling. I have had AFE and Amsoil air filters before in my 01.
2008 F450 Lariat, 6.4L PSD, 4x4, CC, 4.30s, (Job 1) , S&B Intake, Banks Six-Gun & SpeedBrake w/IQ, Banks Monster exhaust (DPF-back), Amp Research Steps, Custom RetrofitSource HID 5000k Projectors & fog lights, Train Horn. Still working on it...

SOLD (but wish I didn't) 2001 F250, 7.3L PSD, 4x4, CC, LB (139k mi), HX & pre-tank mods, AFE Magnum/Amsoil Air Filter, 3.5" DP, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, DPTuner F5, Autometer Z-series guages, MAP Sensor Line with Relief Valve, 8" Fabtech Coilover/4-Link conversion lift, Dirt Logic 4.0 & 2.25s, 37" Toyos on 20x9 ProComp 6001s, 4.10s, Firestone Air Bags, AMSoiled (Bypass filter), Mag-Hytec Diff & Trans Pan, TC Manual Lockup Sw., 6.0 Trans Cooler, Amp Research Steps. SPDiesel Exhaust Brake.
GlamisPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Question OK

As you so kindly suggested I did the research on the aFe and it does sound impressive for low end grunt. Just mail the crow to Louisianna, .

But it seems to peter out after about 1900rpm if memory serves. So they have found a way to move the torque curve lower, which is good for heavy towing but not a lot of help for drag racers. I'm a tower tho...

What did you like about the S&B or are you going to make me do the research again.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I happened to see a banner on the site for S&B and clicked on it. What I found out was that the S&B guys actually claim that they conduct true ISO regulated tests on their filtration products. Doesn't necessarily mean much to me BUT based on the flow & filtration rates they claim they out perform the AFE, K&N, and Airaid systems for the filters compared. In order I believe it was Airaid (close 2nd), K&N (3rd), and AFE (Proguard 7 4th), AFE (Pro Dry S 5th). They post no HP or TQ #'s but #'s are always questionable. All things being equal if they all state that improved air flow and filtration = higher HP & TQ, it seems reasonable to think the one with the best stats wins in HP & TQ area as well.

Another thing, was they do not promote the use of a dry filter primarily because the technology behind dry filters has not been perfected to ensure that "dirty" air does not get into the engine. I can contest to that because I have always noticed that the CAI tube has a lot of soot in it even after it has passed through the filter and the inside of the filter is dirty. THis should not be. Examples I have experienced are on the AFE oiled filter, and the AMSoil dry filter replacement. In one instance the flow rate was so bad on the AMSoil filter that it collapsed the filter inwards when pulling my hauler up a grade (full boost).

Hope this helps.
2008 F450 Lariat, 6.4L PSD, 4x4, CC, 4.30s, (Job 1) , S&B Intake, Banks Six-Gun & SpeedBrake w/IQ, Banks Monster exhaust (DPF-back), Amp Research Steps, Custom RetrofitSource HID 5000k Projectors & fog lights, Train Horn. Still working on it...

SOLD (but wish I didn't) 2001 F250, 7.3L PSD, 4x4, CC, LB (139k mi), HX & pre-tank mods, AFE Magnum/Amsoil Air Filter, 3.5" DP, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, DPTuner F5, Autometer Z-series guages, MAP Sensor Line with Relief Valve, 8" Fabtech Coilover/4-Link conversion lift, Dirt Logic 4.0 & 2.25s, 37" Toyos on 20x9 ProComp 6001s, 4.10s, Firestone Air Bags, AMSoiled (Bypass filter), Mag-Hytec Diff & Trans Pan, TC Manual Lockup Sw., 6.0 Trans Cooler, Amp Research Steps. SPDiesel Exhaust Brake.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I just installed an S&B cold air intake, and it's the nicest, most stock looking (if that's possible" intake I have ever seen. Top quality pieces, excellent design and easy to follow instructions.
I haven't driven the truck yet, but from what I understand, S&b does not throw codes. From what I understand, the placement of the map sensor has been the downfall for the others like AFE.
George C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post
I just installed an S&B cold air intake, and it's the nicest, most stock looking (if that's possible" intake I have ever seen. Top quality pieces, excellent design and easy to follow instructions.
I haven't driven the truck yet, but from what I understand, S&b does not throw codes. From what I understand, the placement of the map sensor has been the downfall for the others like AFE.
Good to know. Keep us posted as you get more miles on it. I would really like to know if there are any noticeable changes in sound, low end torque, and noticeable mileage gains under empty and towing conditions. Still researching this one.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have an S&B intake on my Dodge 5.9. The only noticable difference is you can now hear the turbo whistle a lot more, the engine still sounds the same but with an annoying whistle. I didn't notice any difference in power or mileage at all, but I don't have any other performance parts on the truck. It may really help if you have more mods.
cgraham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

There is more turbo sound.
The difference in air box restriction is very noticable. Also, the S&B has two seperate placements for the hot air line. A summer placement, and a winter placement. The summer placement stops all hot air from entering the induction box.

Again, from what I understand, the placement of the map sensor is critical.
I don't drive my truck in the snow & salt, so it may be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to take it for a spin..
Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a S&B intake on my truck and I can tell you it fits pretty good and looks the cleanest to me compaired to the other options out there as of yet for this truck. Its true it doesnt throw the codes as do the other makers of intakes for this truck. I did have a few small probs with my intake but I think they were just small one off fluke's nothing to worry about. It was just a screw hole that had been treaded in two diff directions and needed to be rethreaded to proper install the screw. Other than that I have no complaints. It does let the turbo's scream louder or at least be more heard than the stocker. Hope that helps. By the way I have put 1000 miles on it with no probs.
Seabee08FX4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ok, so why do it?

I had a Chevy 6.0 gasser and put a CAI on it ( aFe ) and I have to tell you that was the least effective money I ever spent. The thing that automotive engineer types keep saying is that the factory box already gives you enough air.

If you are getting enough air more doesn't get you anything. On the gasser the Cat Back Magnaflow exhaust and the Westers ( sp? ) performance custom tune worked magic, the CAI just seemed to make more whoop noise.

But on the other hand aFe has an interesting dyno chart that says they provide significsntly more power at 1318 rpm. I am assuming that all other variables were equal, so mayber the 6.4 doesn't get enough air.

Would love for one of those techie people to chime in with real info.

The important piece of the puzzle is that more is only a benefit if the OEM intake is short of air in instances.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just installed an afe stage 2 on my 2008 sb drw. I have noticed a throttle response change and you do get a little more whistle from the turbos. I like it. as far as MPG and towing I'll have to see. I have only been driving down the HWy so far. Very easy to install and great quality parts. JP
ttwndoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghenson View Post
I had a Chevy 6.0 gasser and put a CAI on it ( aFe ) and I have to tell you that was the least effective money I ever spent. The thing that automotive engineer types keep saying is that the factory box already gives you enough air.

If you are getting enough air more doesn't get you anything. On the gasser the Cat Back Magnaflow exhaust and the Westers ( sp? ) performance custom tune worked magic, the CAI just seemed to make more whoop noise.

But on the other hand aFe has an interesting dyno chart that says they provide significsntly more power at 1318 rpm. I am assuming that all other variables were equal, so mayber the 6.4 doesn't get enough air.

Would love for one of those techie people to chime in with real info.

The important piece of the puzzle is that more is only a benefit if the OEM intake is short of air in instances.

I hate the term "seat of the pants difference", but in this case, I believe there is a noticable difference. I installed an intake on my new 99' 7.3L, and my new 03' with the 6.0L.
Personally, I felt a sizeable difference on both at the upper end.

My main concerns are actual filter quality. I bought the S&B, but I had a good experience with AFE on my 6.0L also.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PSD POWER007
I'm left unsure if the stock intake system provides enough flow. I've towed a few 8000lb loads with my truck. Each time the filter minder was sucked in a little over half way. My truck only has 2,500 miles on it with a brand new filter???
I'm very interested in the S&B intake. I just want to sit back and make sure there won't be any CEL related issues with it. I would also like to see some dyno test results done by some of the tuners around here.
GTP 38R w/WW2, DYI Tymar, PIS 175/80's, Adrenaline HPOP, RiffRaff FRX, Magnaflow TBE, IH up pipes, DP-Tuner F6 custom tuned, Bilstein shocks, 05 Harley HL with HID conversion, Edge Insight CS, EBPV delete, Dieselsite BRV, Factory 20" wheels, Dieselsite turbo boots, AIH delete

2008 Subaru WRX STI
305whp/369wtq
PSD POWER007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have had both and prefer the S&B in every way. The AFE units have had code issues, though I believe they are completely handled now. With S&B, it has not been an issue on my truck nor any customers. I havent even heard of anyone throwing a code with S&B. The construction is top notch as well as the testing that went into it.

Call 888-516-4644 or Chat Live On Our Site

DSTRBD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
With our high power tune, the stock intake is too restricitive. It sucks the filter minder in and throws a light. I imagine it's very restrictive even stock under heavy loads.

I've yet to throw a check engine with the S&B. The AFE did cause codes to be thrown in the past, but it's fixed now.

The Original SCT Custom Tuning Dealer!
Custom Tuning for Power and Mileage.
IDP thrives on carrying only the best parts and great customer service. Over 5000 parts ready to ship for your diesel truck!
InnovativeDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to PSD POWER007
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeDiesel View Post
With our high power tune, the stock intake is too restricitive. It sucks the filter minder in and throws a light. I imagine it's very restrictive even stock under heavy loads.

I've yet to throw a check engine with the S&B. The AFE did cause codes to be thrown in the past, but it's fixed now.
Eric,
Has the truck seemed happy overall with the S&B intake? I've read where some have seen an increased amount of regens after installing the AFE system. Have you noticed any difference with the S&B system?
GTP 38R w/WW2, DYI Tymar, PIS 175/80's, Adrenaline HPOP, RiffRaff FRX, Magnaflow TBE, IH up pipes, DP-Tuner F6 custom tuned, Bilstein shocks, 05 Harley HL with HID conversion, Edge Insight CS, EBPV delete, Dieselsite BRV, Factory 20" wheels, Dieselsite turbo boots, AIH delete

2008 Subaru WRX STI
305whp/369wtq
PSD POWER007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.