Tunners - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty truck with 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tunners

So the other day I heard that tunners will be gone any day thanks to EPA. A friend is trying to get me to by an H&S for my 6.4 before they are gone. My question is is this the best one for me to get? My 6.4 is in an F450 with a 12 foot box on it and always tows a 30 ft trailer so it usually weighs between 20,000 and 24,000 lbs. I am not looking for performance more for reliability and fuel economy. I am going to go buy this thing if it seems to be the best thing for this truck. I am also going to pick up an SCT for my 6.0 before i can't get them anymore. I have to go buy this thing like tomorrow with cash so I would really appreciate some input.

2010 XLT Crew Cab F-450 Cab and Chasis with a 12 foot Unicel box
escore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ty1

I have heard great things about the H&S in the 6.4s. My buddy has one with a DPF delete and he get's around 26mpg. I personally run the handheld SCT in my 6.4. I also see the same mpg with a DPF and EGR delete. I wouldn't be afraid to run either of them, I just went with the SCT cause I didn't have 900$ at the time. As far as the 6.0, the SCT is the thing to get. The engine and tranny tunes are just right. Both my trucks laugh at 40,000 lb 35 foot trailers and sip the diesel like a Volkswagon TDI. Good luck!

2006 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~4 inch Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, DFUSER Coolant Filter, XDP EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs & Black Diamond HGs, SCT SF3 3015 w/ Custom Tunes from Matt @ Gearhead, Air Lift Load Lifter 5,000s w/ On Board Compressor System, My POV~~

Early 2004 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~ 03 motor, Straight pipe with stock pipe, DFUSER Coolant Filter, River City Diesel EGR Delete, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Flatbed, Regular Cab...my Cow feeding/farm truck ~~~

2008 F-350 6.4 POWERSTROKE!!!~~Diamond Eye 4 Inch Turbo Back DPF DELETE Exhaust, SCT SF3 3015R Race Tuner, Sinister MFG EGR Delete, AFE High Flow Filter~~NOT A SINGLE REPAIR!!~~~~

LONG GONE>>400,000 MILES!!!~~1999 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke 6 Speed with AFE Cold Air Intake, Hypertech Max Energy, Air-Lift Load Lifter 5,000s.............and of course a Dixie Horn~~~
Ty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ty1

Just stay away from Edge chips/tuners. They have a very bad rep for screwing up trannys.

2006 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~4 inch Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, DFUSER Coolant Filter, XDP EGR Delete, ARP Head Studs & Black Diamond HGs, SCT SF3 3015 w/ Custom Tunes from Matt @ Gearhead, Air Lift Load Lifter 5,000s w/ On Board Compressor System, My POV~~

Early 2004 F-250 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!!~~6.GO!!!!!~~ 03 motor, Straight pipe with stock pipe, DFUSER Coolant Filter, River City Diesel EGR Delete, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Flatbed, Regular Cab...my Cow feeding/farm truck ~~~

2008 F-350 6.4 POWERSTROKE!!!~~Diamond Eye 4 Inch Turbo Back DPF DELETE Exhaust, SCT SF3 3015R Race Tuner, Sinister MFG EGR Delete, AFE High Flow Filter~~NOT A SINGLE REPAIR!!~~~~

LONG GONE>>400,000 MILES!!!~~1999 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke 6 Speed with AFE Cold Air Intake, Hypertech Max Energy, Air-Lift Load Lifter 5,000s.............and of course a Dixie Horn~~~
Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I highly doubt that tuners are going away anytime soon
2008 F350...Lariet Super Cab , 6.4, 3:73 with all the goodies, 157,000 miles, 35 foot 11K Fiver,

New Radiator, new EGR Cooler...#6 Injector replaced twice... TCM at 105K, Alternator at 115K
TIM K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

TIM K I highly doubt that tuners are going away anytime soon

Go to H&S web page and read the press release if you don't think they are going away. You cannot order anymore H&S turners right now. The only place you can get them is companies that have left over stock. I think the same thing is happening to SCT.

2008 Keystone Raptor 3612 38' Toy Hauler 16,700lbs. GVWR

2012 Ford F-450 6.7L 4x4 XL Chassis Cab 11' Service Body

SOLD: 2001 F-350 PSD Lariat CC 4x4 LB Auto, 5" flo-pro twister race muffler, isspro pyro, boost, and tran gauges on a-pillar. DP-Tuner (stock, 40, 60, 80, 120), Cobra 29 CB with 4' Firestik, Prodigy Brake Controller, Tru-Cool 4739
RTRF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

26 mpg, must have found the right tune ;-)
'02 f-250 cc srw 4x4, auto, 4" exhaust, pillar pod w/ post and pre turbo egt, trans temp and boost, black brushguard/bumper, chrome step tubes. bully dog trans kit, ts performance 6-pos chip, stock, high idle, 50, 75, 100, 140, volant air intake

'08 f-350 cc drw 4x4, auto, mini max, 5" downpipe back exhaust. black ranchhand bullbar bumper, S&B intake.

both trucks bought in texas.
ptanner3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanner3 View Post
26 mpg, must have found the right tune ;-)
metric mpg's
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRF350 View Post

Go to H&S web page and read the press release if you don't think they are going away. You cannot order anymore H&S turners right now. The only place you can get them is companies that have left over stock. I think the same thing is happening to SCT.
Really glad I ordered one when I did. When I first heard about and then read the EPA clampdown, I ordered the H&S min maxx that day and just installed it last weekend. So far so good. The DPF and EGR will stay there for now, but I can see them evaporating from my truck as soon as the warranty is gone.
2008 super cab Long Box 4x4, XLT limited,SRW, H&S Mini Maxx Tuner, 2.5" ICON lift w/ Bilstein shocks, 35 x 12.50 ProComp extreme all-terrains, Custom Aluminum Bumper, 12k Winch, 6" 150 Watt spot lights, 5" 100 Watt flood lights, ride-rite airbags & tork lift spring extensions, Cloudveil mudflaps, boat towing/camper hauling machine
finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
metric mpg's
American mpgs... just on long 64mph trips. My normal for most of my 10 mile highways is 23.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

I wouldn't average 20 mpg downhill in neutral. Average 14ish but still love the truck. Too much power! Almost...
'02 f-250 cc srw 4x4, auto, 4" exhaust, pillar pod w/ post and pre turbo egt, trans temp and boost, black brushguard/bumper, chrome step tubes. bully dog trans kit, ts performance 6-pos chip, stock, high idle, 50, 75, 100, 140, volant air intake

'08 f-350 cc drw 4x4, auto, mini max, 5" downpipe back exhaust. black ranchhand bullbar bumper, S&B intake.

both trucks bought in texas.
ptanner3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM K View Post
I highly doubt that tuners are going away anytime soon
Tuners in general, no. Tuners that modify or allow the user to modify the emissions, yes.

'08 F250 6.4L Lariat 4x4 CC/SRW fully loaded, special ordered
6" Fabtech 2.25 dual shock lift w/18" AR wheels, 35" Toyo AT
Avic-Z2 (Z3 Mod) Nav/Stereo w/iPod, Bluetooth, XM NavTraffic
(2) Rear headrest mnt DVD entertainment systems
Line-X bedliner
Banks CAI, Dual Exhaust, 6-Gun, Speed Brake & iQ (test vehicle)
Bushwacker Fender Flares (color matched)
Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bush
Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4 a gallon gasoline?. . . That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.
smotrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRF350 View Post

Come Jan 21st you can only get Street Tuners from H&S. Some dealers may still have the older versions, how long support will be available though is unknown.

'08 F250 6.4L Lariat 4x4 CC/SRW fully loaded, special ordered
6" Fabtech 2.25 dual shock lift w/18" AR wheels, 35" Toyo AT
Avic-Z2 (Z3 Mod) Nav/Stereo w/iPod, Bluetooth, XM NavTraffic
(2) Rear headrest mnt DVD entertainment systems
Line-X bedliner
Banks CAI, Dual Exhaust, 6-Gun, Speed Brake & iQ (test vehicle)
Bushwacker Fender Flares (color matched)
Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bush
Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4 a gallon gasoline?. . . That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.
smotrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaddict View Post
Really glad I ordered one when I did. When I first heard about and then read the EPA clampdown, I ordered the H&S min maxx that day and just installed it last weekend. So far so good. The DPF and EGR will stay there for now, but I can see them evaporating from my truck as soon as the warranty is gone.
Sounds like you already voided the warranty. Might as well go ahead and delete now and enjoy the gains! And quite washing fuel down into the oil during regens.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockbill View Post
Sounds like you already voided the warranty. Might as well go ahead and delete now and enjoy the gains! And quite washing fuel down into the oil during regens.
Yep, Couldn't agree more, DPF will be gone in the spring as soon as it gets nice enough.
2008 super cab Long Box 4x4, XLT limited,SRW, H&S Mini Maxx Tuner, 2.5" ICON lift w/ Bilstein shocks, 35 x 12.50 ProComp extreme all-terrains, Custom Aluminum Bumper, 12k Winch, 6" 150 Watt spot lights, 5" 100 Watt flood lights, ride-rite airbags & tork lift spring extensions, Cloudveil mudflaps, boat towing/camper hauling machine
finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

I got my SCT for the 6.0 and an H & S for the 6.4 the other day. Also picked up a Colt .45 Defender to complete my anti hippie Christmas. I am so disgusted by all of this ****. I'm hoping to delete my DPF and EGR despite my warranty before I start another 25,000 mile year at 6.8 MPG. Pretty sure the saved fuel is better for the environment anyway.

2010 XLT Crew Cab F-450 Cab and Chasis with a 12 foot Unicel box
escore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.