Ford remanufactured 4R100 transmission resulting in a Heavy Duty 4R100 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ Frequently asked questions in the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford remanufactured 4R100 transmission resulting in a Heavy Duty 4R100

Ford makes two versions of the 4R100 rebuilt automatic transmissions that are behind the 7.3L diesel engines in '99-'03 SuperDuty trucks. The OEM version, and a heavy duty version intended to compete with the BTS and John Wood rebuilt transmissions of the world. Both have the same 3-year warranty if properly installed.

The HD4R100 may be just what you're looking for if you have a stock engine. However, Ford will probably void the warranty if you have a hot-rodded engine with a performance or towing tune, so the HD4R100 is not for everyone. The BTS warranty is good, regardless of how much power you throw at the BTS tranny.

If you plan to have the R&R done by someone other than a Ford dealer, you might want to pay particular attention to the Ford requirements for doing the R&R. If it's not done right, including replacing the oil-to-air tranny cooler, flushing the oil-to-water tranny cooler, and installing a Magnefine in-line tranny filter, the three-year warranty will be void.

Flounder-Pounder found these documents online. If you are thinking of replacing your 4R100 transmission with a Ford rebuilt HD 4R100, this is good info.

Click on these links:

Sales pitch

Part numbers

If things go wrong

Here is the thread where the HD4R100 was discussed:
Ford Reman Transmissions - 4R100HD

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 08-25-2010 at 08:40 AM.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
hd4r100

I have a 03 with the 7.3 just had my tranny rebuilt,they said they rebuilt it with a hd package.cost 2,100 does that sound right
jwatts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

So what does the stealership charge for one of these HD's?
Late '99, F-250 7.3L, PSD, Super Duty, AT, 4X4, Crew Cab, 235 Mich tires, MBRP 4" Exhaust, 4-setting DP-Tuner (set for +80hp Econ mode), K&N Filter and Intake Tube, 203 thermostat, coolant filter, A-Pillar Isspro gauge set (pyro pre-turbo, trans temp, boost), Turbo Master Wastegate Controller, 6.0L tranny cooler, BTS valve body, rebuilt trans at 196K mi, bilstein shocks, Chevron Delo 400 10-40w, Zoodad mod, late model cup holder.

No time left for Drinking.
jdkluge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ford released this HD tranny 4 years ago (December 1, 2006).

The HD 4R100 wasn't made to compete with the BTS or John Wood transmissions, and the price shows it. The HD 4R100 was made for non-Ford paying customers who wanted a better transmission than the regular OEM warranty replacement...Fleets, high load, severe duty commercial and recreational applications. I doubt Ford cares about competing with the BTW or JW rebuilt transmissions. By the time I figured in the shipping, installation, and down time of a BTS, it was over $2K more.

The HD 4R100 isn't just for stock engines. It's a perfect choice for modified or chipped engines. I have over 40,000 miles on my Ford HD 4R100 with a hot chip and other mods pulling heavy loads. It is awesome. Excellent shifts, temps, and durability. Ford said they would not void the warranty for my mods. In fact they said the chip helps the transmission from shifting back-and-forth, keeps the TC locked and the fluid temps down, and said my temperature gauge shows I monitor and take care of it.

The HD 4R100 comes with the proper R&R instructions, no matter who is doing the work. I suppose any shop, including your Ford dealer, can screw that up. But the transmission replacement is designed for non-Ford repairs. I haven't heard of these HD tranny's failing, and I certainly haven't heard of any warranty denials if they do.

I love my HD 4R100, and I would highly recommend it for anyone considering a replacement tranny.

Last edited by klhansen; 09-29-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Roadrunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have the 01 7.3 and my tranny was getting to 220 towing my 30 foot trailer. i got the hd tranny tc and trans cooler from ford last week when i towed the trailer my tranny got to 210 what should i do
drod92114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drod92114 View Post
i got the hd tranny tc and trans cooler from ford last week when i towed the trailer my tranny got to 210
Your post is not clear. Did you install the HD tranny, plus the torque converter that goes with it, plus a new oil-to-air (OTA) tranny cooler? If you did, exactly which OTA tranny cooler did you install?
Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

A couple of months ago, my Excursion tranny temp got to 210-220 while pulling a flatbed trailer with some quads. Not a real heavy load. Turns out the fluid return that prevents tranny fluid from cycling thru the coolers until it is supposed to, had failed. I believe it is based on pressure rather than temp, but I'm sure someone else here knows better than I do. Anyway, it was about $50 to fix and no issues since then.
2001 Excursion: 7.3L in Toreador Red. V/B modifed, Rancho RS9000XL's all around with RS5410 steering stabilizer. Trans coolers and new Triple TC in the HD4R100 thru a 3.73 Limited Slip. Pillar gauges: Trans, Pyro and Boost.
Turq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

I am pulling a 10K boat with my 2001 F-250 7.3 4x4. The truck is new to me and the previous owner had the tranny rebuilt at a local shop where he lived. Someone mentioned using a 6.0 tranny cooler. Can this be done easily without modification? Anything else I should be adding? The truck has a Diablo tuner and I use the tow mode.
Thanks
Hockleyneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockleyneck View Post
Someone mentioned using a 6.0 tranny cooler. Can this be done easily without modification?
Yes. Remove the stock oil-to-air (OTA) cooler and replace it with much bigger one from a 6.0L. Easy swap. The bug in the ointment is that the 6.0L cooler has half-inch fittings and the stock cooler has 3/8th inch. So you have to go to a hardware store and buy the transition parts, but they're common parts.

Quote:
Anything else I should be adding?
If you don't already have an aftermarket tranny temp gauge, then you need one. Put the sender in the pressure port on the side of the tranny, then use 225° as the red line. If you ever see over 210°, change the ATF to synthetic, using the procedures in the 7.3L FAQ forum.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Will this HD4R100 kit work in a 1996 E4OD trans or does ford make a HD kit for the E4OD specifically?
96 F350 Crew Cab Long Box 4X4 Auto PSD, Superchip programer, 4" lift with 35" Hancook Dynapros, DIY Tymar intake, Custom made 4" dual 45* exhaust with 5" chrome tips, Chrome inside door handles. Thats it for now!

83 F250 Reg Cab Long Box 4X4 Auto 6.9L IDI. Plow truck-rusty but trusty!
lymojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymojeep View Post
Will this HD4R100 kit work in a 1996 E4OD trans or does ford make a HD kit for the E4OD specifically?
Lymojeep, this is the '99-up 7.3L Powerstroke forum. You need to post your question in the '94-'97 7.3L PowerStroke forum, where the E40D experts hang out.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

OK. I thought the 4R100 & E4OD transmissions were the same just updated & named differently.
96 F350 Crew Cab Long Box 4X4 Auto PSD, Superchip programer, 4" lift with 35" Hancook Dynapros, DIY Tymar intake, Custom made 4" dual 45* exhaust with 5" chrome tips, Chrome inside door handles. Thats it for now!

83 F250 Reg Cab Long Box 4X4 Auto 6.9L IDI. Plow truck-rusty but trusty!
lymojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Say Lymojeep:

in slim chance you have not discovered more in the past month - Am doing research on the E4od and 4R100 - in prep for next major something teardown & rebuild better ..

4r100 is updated E4od - former rated to handle 1000lbs torque - latter is 850 lbs - 4r100 is beefier in shafts and a better pump - also uses more electronics - Have read an E4od can be upgraded /rebuilt to 4R100 heavy duty specs to make it " bullet proof " - bout as far as I got - gonna research more and start amassing parts and info

cheers:

Ich habe Dinge gesehen, die ihr Menchen niemal glauben würdet
Gigantische Schiffe, die brannten,draußen vor der Schulter des Orion
Und ich habe C-beams gesehen, glizernd im Dunkel, nahe dem thannhäuser-Tor
All diese Moments werden verloren sein.... in der Zeit
so wie... Tränen im Regen
planetX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

So you could use a 4r100 in the OBS models then? puzzled and intrigued

2000 Black F-350 Lariat (Yea that's with leather) CC 7.3ltr 4x4 Auto trans. Longbed.
Mods
DI- Dual regulated fuel bypass Kit ( Increase MPG to 17.5!!!)
DIY- running lights from Wally world. Nose &
running boards.
DIY- Underseat 1.6GB computer with entertainment
package. Will be integrating PCM with
onboard computer.
More to come! It never ends!
EJs2KSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJs2KSD View Post
So you could use a 4r100 in the OBS models then? puzzled and intrigued
In the OBS Powerstrokes, probably. But you would have to use a '99-up 7.3L tune that would properly communicate with the tranny. And the 99-up engines have an intercooler, so I'm not sure how that would affect the tune.

Maybe just get DP-Tuner or similar guru to write you a custom tune for a '97 PowerStroke with a '99-up 4R100 tranny?

But I'm just guessing. Get Mark Kovalsky to give you the straight skinny.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.