How to replace early ICP - with pictures - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ Frequently asked questions in the 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to replace early ICP - with pictures

Thought you guys might like to see how to replace the early style ICP sensor. Seems to have been a hot topic here recently.

Parts required

First step, after you determine that you need to replace this sensor and/or connector, is to remove the air filter, degas jug, FICM, and the rear stud on the intake manifold.

You'll then see this - pretty much:

ICP sensor with interfering components removed
Zoomed in some

Use a long right angle pick to take loose the ICP sensor connector. Pull it up and out of the way. Use a long extension, a 1 1/16th crowfoot, and a swivel to get the sensor loose. You'll need some long, nimble fingers to fish the sensor out. This is where you are thanking me for telling you to remove the rear intake manifold stud.

Now take a look at what you got:

Oily ICP sensor
Makes for an oily harness

Install your new ICP sensor, and splice in your new pigtail connector. Trim the wires to the same length - you don't want a lot of wire back there that can contact the exhaust!

Trimming the wires

Put on what you took off, and you're done!

Now go pull the roof off a few cold ones. You deserve it.
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Re: How to replace early ICP - with pictures

Well if it's THAT EASY, I'll just let you do mine when the time comes. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks for the write-up though!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Sanddunes

What was the main reason for you replacing this ICP sensor?

Great write up with pictures, what an effort with the work and taking the time to post the info. Great job.
2004 4x4 FX4 Lariat color White F250 6.0L crew cab with 6 in. lift, BF Goodrich A/T 315 x 70 x 17, 3.73 gears, 4 in. Magnaflow exhaust from turbo with 24 in. X 5 in. end tip, Fox Racing shocks, Donahoe Racing dual steering stabilizers, Firestone Air lift (air bags) in the rear, all to hual a 2006 28ft. Rampage 5th wheel toy hauler with loaded weight of 12,500 lbs. ebehrman@cox.net
Sanddunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

<span style="color: blue"> Greg ,

Awesome write up...like someone said in another post, I do believe you're going for internet technician of the year. If i was a judge, you'd have my vote, but it may be slightly biased because unless your camera distorts the picture, you've got some big ole fingers and I don't wanna see what the rest of ya looks like!

Again, great write up!

Later, </span>

* '04 F250 XCab LWB 4X4 w/ FX4 *
* TorqShift *
* Manual 4WD *
* Carpet Delete *
* No. 2 ONLY *
* High-Idle Mod *
* Fumoto Valve *
AllOutFirefighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was the main reason for you replacing this ICP sensor?</div></div>

The owner was complaining of an oil leak. I also noticed that the CEL was illuminated, and there was a code P2285 in memory - But the owner didn't say anything about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">unless your camera distorts the picture, you've got some big ole fingers and I don't wanna see what the rest of ya looks like!</div></div>

Funny story about hand size. Yesterday I was taking the head bolts out of a 6.0L (see the serpentine belt thread) and I was using my "sho-nuff" impact gun. I'm holding the handle with my right hand, index finger along the body, middle finger on the trigger, and the other two on the handle. I'm stabilizing the gun with my left hand. There happened to be a little tear in my left glove that the exhaust from my impact gun was aimed at. I hit the trigger, and my left hand would inflate. Bolt comes out, off the trigger, and my hand deflates. Repeat 19 more times.

When I looked up, the service advisor was watching me with a bewildered look on his face....
Old 10-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Larry202br

Great thread, great write up, nice pics! Whe nyou say early ICP, what model year range are you talking about?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

The only 6.0s with the ICP in that location are 03's and 04's built prior to 9-29-03. After that date, the ICP is in the valve cover.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ICP is in the valve cover </div></div> Right where it shuuda been from the beginning.JMO! Not to forget bunch other changes with later 04 VS job1 03. Anyhow, that's where mine is.

GregH. Tks. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

That was freakin awesome!!! I must say this is one of the best posts yet!!!

Thanks a million!
2003 F-250SD XLT X-Cab short box March 03 6.0L Torque shift, manual 4x4 superwinch hubs, 121,000 miles,315/75/16 BF Goodrich mud terrains, autometer boost/fuel psi/tranny temp, AFE 4" straight pipe, tire clearance and guage photos
weasel79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

How much time does that take Greg?

Or maybe I should ask Teamroper60 for the "I haven't done this a thousand times" estimate.

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
FMTRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Nice write-up. I would like to add that a major tool company has a socket that is specifically made for removing the ICP sensor.

Ronald
rwhans007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FMTRVT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much time does that take Greg?

Or maybe I should ask Teamroper60 for the "I haven't done this a thousand times" estimate. </div></div>

Jack,

It took about 3 hours for the swap on mine. However if you have the proper tools already, the total time is really more like an hour or so....... Removing the parts Greg said to is fairly easy and takes about 20 minutes or so. Putting them back is the same.

The majority of the time we spent was fooling with the stupid crowsfoot... Trying to fish that thing on was impossible for us. So, we stopped, regrouped, and took an inch and a sixteenth deep well socket and cut it down to the length of the sensor. Once we did that, the actual sensor change took maybe a minute or two...
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

Old 10-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

Cool. So it sounds like deep socket, flex, and extension is needed. Did you use a 3/8 or 1/2"? Could you measure the total length of the socket after cut down?

PITA, ain't I?

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
FMTRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Jack,

I used a half inch deep well from Sears. I'll measure it when I get home from work.....

pics

Old 10-09-2007, 12:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Jack,

The original socket was 3 and a quarter inches long (measured on the outside). The modified socket was cut down to 2 and seven-eighths (again, measured on the outside).

pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.