08' F-350 cruise control problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

2008- 2010 General Questions General questions related to 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08' F-350 cruise control problems

So, i have an 08' F-350, SRW, totally stock.... for now. Just the other day, my cruise stopped working, then a few days later it worked... once. Then it inevitably stopped again.

Nothing i do seems to remedy the problem, even temporarily. I'm thinking either the on off switch or the brake light switch could be going bad. I could really use some direction if anyone out there can help.
The Automatic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

I’m not an expert and this might not have anything to do with your problem, but my cruise control stopped working while in “Limp Home Mode”, caused by my EGR valve sticking. When I shut off the truck and let it cool down, it went out of “Limp Home Mode” and the cruise started working again. I brought it into the dealer and had a new version of EGR valve and housing installed and the tech said that some codes will disable the cruise control. When my truck was in “Limp Home Mode” it didn’t show a trouble light, but stored a trouble code that the Tech brought up on the laptop.

The PCM controls the cruise control. My guess is that it isn’t the brake switch because your brake lights are working and there are only two wires that are coming from the brake pedal position switch and the truck does a Self Test and you would get a Diagnostic Code if it failed that test. Also the cruise control is monitored and self tested and if you had a stuck button or the open wire your truck would store a code, it is possible that the on button doesn't close which removes 2200 ohm from the control input circuit?

Most of the codes that I know of for theses problems won’t give a MIL or Wrench Light. I know some of the codes, only a dealer can read with Ford equipment. Hopefully your truck is still under warranty?

Hopefully an expert will post a better solution, but my guess is that your truck has a code stored and the computer has disabled the cruise control or if it is the "ON" button, I couldn't tell you how to begin to verify it over the Internet. Most of the information I got from the "Coffee Table Book" and the Link below will help you with a copy if you don't have it already. Bottom of the page “2008 6.4L Turbocharged Diesel (71 Mb ZIP FILE)”.

Diesel Technician Society
Built Nov 26 2013 - Picked up Dec 06 2012
-2008 F-350 CC 4X4 Lariat, SRW, 3.73.
Any color, as long as it's "Black".
Ordered 12/31 - Born 02/11 - Picked up 03/29.
-1972 First Ford - 1956 Fairlane - Mint
Rolled it at 100+mph (Teenager, Duh, no one hurt)
Totaled Oct/73 (Over 35 Years ago and still remember that lesson).
-First New Ford - 79 Bronco - Ordered Mar/79
150K Miles - I disassembled 2000 and I sent it to three different scrap yards.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
-2003 - ZRX1200 (Some say "Mid Life", LOL).
-2008 - Jayco 313RKS 5th Wheel.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks a lot man, i really appreciate it, it's so strange though, initially i thought it was weather related, it seemed to not work when it was raining, we had 2 good days of weather and it worked, then today (which was also a good day) it stopped again its just very odd that its so intermittent.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automatic Man View Post
thanks a lot man, i really appreciate it, it's so strange though, initially i thought it was weather related, it seemed to not work when it was raining, we had 2 good days of weather and it worked, then today (which was also a good day) it stopped again its just very odd that its so intermittent.
I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues with your cruise control. Have you had a chance to take it to a Ford dealership to have it diagnosed yet? So I can look into this, please send me a private message with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

My cruise stopped working also, then it will work for a couple of miles, then it won't work for the rest of the day. No limp mode just no cruise. Afraid to take to the dealer because of the new flash. (They might update it thinking it will fix it)

Sold
2010 F450 FX4 6.4 auto lariat 34,000
2006 Chevy 3500 drw 4x4 cc LBZ/Auto 43,000
2005 Dodge 2500 4x4 cc Cummins/auto 15,000
2010f450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Don't be afraid and make sure you tell the dealer you don't want the update at this time and only want the cruise to work.

Maybe Cory can tell us if Ford has suspended the PCM update for now and are working on another update?
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automatic Man View Post
Just to update you. My cruise started working intermittently when I was on vacation and I brought it into a Dealer. They retrieved a P0703 code and monitored the PIDS and found that the brake pressure apply switch readings were erratic. They replaced the switch and retested. I haven’t had a problem with the cruise for 4,000 miles. I had to pay the $100 deductible, but I believe that if I didn’t have the extended warranty, the repair would’ve cost under $200. The switch part # is 3L3Z 9F924
If I remember right, it is screwed into the bottom of the master cylinder, I was more interested talking to the two Ford Diesel Techs and Service Manager about my 11B23 concerns and they were willing to spend the time with me and even calling Ford direct to get the some answers and solutions.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

P0703 X Brake Switch B Input Circuit This error occurs when the brake switch is
not activated during the KOER self test.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD56 View Post
...They replaced the switch and retested. I haven’t had a problem with the cruise for 4,000 miles...
It’s great they were able to find your concern with the cruise control, MPD56. Thanks for the update. I hope the rest of your vacation went smoothly!

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks a lot MPD, i still havent resolved the issue, but i will most definitely start looking at the brake pressue sensor.
SEIC Wired to Upfitter Switches
Spartan DashDaq
S&B Cold Air Intake
AFE 4" Exhaust from Turbo back
EGR Delete Kit
Upgraded Intercooler Piping
Old 09-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Prob won't help but my cruise quit working a couple years ago. I wasn't getting any codes. 1 night I started the truck without pushing the clutch in. Shut it off and messed with the wiring to the clutch switch. Truck started fine after that and the cruise started working also. Haven't had any more problems.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

My cruise control was working off and on and lately stopped all together. I also have the code listed by Senix. Looking at the bottom of my master cylinder, it appears there are two sensors. Any thoughts on which one or if both would possibly need to be replaced, or if I can test them? Also is there a fluid loss resulting in brake bleeding?
spedyr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

2008 cruise issue

hi there mines doing the same thing....how did you make out with yours??
cold sd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'm no help. Never fixed mine and it has been working more often than not working, so I have just let it go.
spedyr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

I’m not an expert (guessing), but when talking to people way after I had my switch replaced. Is that this switch is to deactivate the cruise if the brake pedal switches malfunctions and doesn’t shut off the cruise control (extra safety device). I believe that it is a normally closed switch (fail safe) and opens when pressure is applied when stepping on the brake pedal.

“Not” on my make and model year but there was a recall for these switches for causing fires on earlier Fords. So there is a lot of information on the internet.

Knowing what I know now! And an expert can correct me. Since my truck was still under warranty, I brought it into the dealer and had the code read and the defective switch replaced. My problem was intermittent and might have been hard to verify the switch was bad.

I believe (guessing) that the switch on the master cylinder is the farthest from the firewall I think with two wires going to it and since it is a switch, I might use a ohm meter to verify that the switch is opening and closing when pushing on the brake pedal. I don’t want to put anyone in harms way, so I wouldn’t jumper out this switch to test and see if the cruise control would work unless an expert told me I could safely.

I believe that these switches are under $30 and have been told that on some model vehicles you have to bleed the brakes after the installation and on mine I don’t know, I don’t think the dealer had to on mine? I do think that they had to add some fluid.

I’m a cheap old man and hate to give Ford any more money, but if my truck was out of warranty and I couldn’t get the codes read for free, I probably test the switch on a truck at work (or a friend’s truck, LOL) and if my switch didn’t get the same meter readings. I’d buy the newest version of switch and plug it into the connector and try the cruise control before installing it into the master cylinder. The risk of spending $30 is a lot cheaper then an hour’s labour and parts at the dealer. Now that I know that it cost me $100 deductible to have mine fixed, I hope that you can fix yours for under $30.

Hope this helps or at least makes sense?

Good Luck

Last edited by MPD56; 12-02-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.