2008 Ford F-350 6.4L Diesel - Air Intake Snow Problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

2008- 2010 General Questions General questions related to 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 2008 Ford F-350 6.4L Diesel - Air Intake Snow Problem

I have a 2008 Ford F-350 6.4L Diesel 4x4 truck that does not have any aftermarket modifications. Its just a stock truck.

I am currently up in South Dakota with the truck and found myself driving in a blizzard conditions. My check filter light came on so I found somewhere I could pull the truck over and checked the filter. The problem was found to be caused from about 1/2" of snow packed all around the sides of the filter. (see the attached photograph)

Has anyone encountered this problem? What if anything can be done to prevent this from happening again?
Attached Thumbnails
2008 Ford F-350 6.4L Diesel - Air Intake Snow Problem-img_2728.jpg   2008 Ford F-350 6.4L Diesel - Air Intake Snow Problem-img_2725.jpg   2008 Ford F-350 6.4L Diesel - Air Intake Snow Problem-img_2726.jpg   2008 Ford F-350 6.4L Diesel - Air Intake Snow Problem-img_2727.jpg  

Last edited by setyree; 12-30-2010 at 08:13 PM.
setyree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Take it in to the dealer. I beleive that they can modifiy the air box some to prevent that.

Carry a spare AF that you can change so the other can dry out.

I have never had that issue, even driving in white outs and 4-5' drifts.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

First Welcome to the Forum!!

This is a known problem, I believe that all trucks (Mine did) in Canada are sold with a Front Grille cover that is suppose to reduce the chance of this happening. I believe that in the United States only certain States have been chosen that Ford believes has snow storms are sold with a front grille cover sold after a certain date. You might have bought your truck in a State that it didn’t come with a cover. If your truck is still under warranty, you might go to a local Ford Dealer, and you might get one for free?

If you try the “SEARCH” function on this forum (grille cover), you will find lots of posts. The link below is good to start with, Read Ford Doctor’s post (it is third one down).

6.4 Winter Front
Built Nov 26 2013 - Picked up Dec 06 2012
-2008 F-350 CC 4X4 Lariat, SRW, 3.73.
Any color, as long as it's "Black".
Ordered 12/31 - Born 02/11 - Picked up 03/29.
-1972 First Ford - 1956 Fairlane - Mint
Rolled it at 100+mph (Teenager, Duh, no one hurt)
Totaled Oct/73 (Over 35 Years ago and still remember that lesson).
-First New Ford - 79 Bronco - Ordered Mar/79
150K Miles - I disassembled 2000 and I sent it to three different scrap yards.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
-2003 - ZRX1200 (Some say "Mid Life", LOL).
-2008 - Jayco 313RKS 5th Wheel.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
You've gotta get a cold front on it. No if's and's or but's.
fordson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I took it in to the dealer and they said this is a known problem with the 2008. Not sure if it affects any higher or not. They recommeded a front end cover and to carry extra air filters.

Now that I am back from my vacation and into a much warmer climate, I had a chance to look at it closer. From what I have seen so far, the intake is right behind the front passenger headlight. I agree with everyone's advice that the grill cover should take care of this.

Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Take it in to the dealer. I beleive that they can modifiy the air box some to prevent that.

Carry a spare AF that you can change so the other can dry out.

I have never had that issue, even driving in white outs and 4-5' drifts.

Last edited by setyree; 01-03-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I bought this truck in Oklahoma and it hasn't seen weather like this since I bought it new. I have had other Fords and have never had this problem before. The truck is out of warranty so I am sure I will have to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD56 View Post
First Welcome to the Forum!!

This is a known problem, I believe that all trucks (Mine did) in Canada are sold with a Front Grille cover that is suppose to reduce the chance of this happening. I believe that in the United States only certain States have been chosen that Ford believes has snow storms are sold with a front grille cover sold after a certain date. You might have bought your truck in a State that it didn’t come with a cover. If your truck is still under warranty, you might go to a local Ford Dealer, and you might get one for free?

If you try the “SEARCH” function on this forum (grille cover), you will find lots of posts. The link below is good to start with, Read Ford Doctor’s post (it is third one down).

6.4 Winter Front
Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just a suggestion but maybe an after market grille cover would work better. There are some trucks around here that have a flap that can open and close on after market grille cover. It makes in easier in my opinion to open it when we have an odd warm day without snow. If I didn’t get my cover for free (lol), I would’ve bought a different one. Just a thought!!
Built Nov 26 2013 - Picked up Dec 06 2012
-2008 F-350 CC 4X4 Lariat, SRW, 3.73.
Any color, as long as it's "Black".
Ordered 12/31 - Born 02/11 - Picked up 03/29.
-1972 First Ford - 1956 Fairlane - Mint
Rolled it at 100+mph (Teenager, Duh, no one hurt)
Totaled Oct/73 (Over 35 Years ago and still remember that lesson).
-First New Ford - 79 Bronco - Ordered Mar/79
150K Miles - I disassembled 2000 and I sent it to three different scrap yards.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
-2003 - ZRX1200 (Some say "Mid Life", LOL).
-2008 - Jayco 313RKS 5th Wheel.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've got an aftermarket one on my truck. Got it from Cabela's. I believe it's item number lK-512605. They are on sale right now for $54.99. It has both a winter cover with flaps that you can open and close depending on temperature and a summer mesh screen to help keep the bugs out. They attach with adhesive snaps. If you go with this be sure to clean the area where the snaps stick with rubbing alcohol. Haven't had mine come loose at all and it's been through car washes and the "little breezes" we get here in West River South Dakota.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

... In South Dakota it should have come with one originally (i think SD is a cold weather state). Sounds like the previous owner kept it when he traded it in. Take it back to the dealer and see if they will give you one. Probably not but you have nothing to loose. I have mine on the truck right now but i apparently don't live in a cold part of the country, even-though it is 12F out there now i did have to buy it myself as well as install the block heater cord...
-----------------------
This article supersedes TSB 07-26-7 to update the Service Procedure and
Parts List.

ISSUE:
Some 2008 6.4L F-Super Duty vehicles built before 9/18/2007, may
experience a lack of power during acceleration and perhaps the illumination
of the "check air filter" message in instrument cluster message center.
The lack of power condition may occur when the air filter element
becomes packed with snow, thereby restricting required air flow to the
engine.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

In order to correct this condition, a winter grill cover is available.
This will fully cover the outside of the grill.

Provide winter grill cover to customer.
Replace the indicator assembly (filter minder) if it doesn't have part
number 8C34-9N622-AB on the part.
Replace the air cleaner element only if wet or frozen.
NOTE: THIS TSB IS INTENDED FOR USE ON VEHICLES OPERATED IN COLD WEATHER
STATES (AK, CO, ID, IA, ME, MI, MN, MT, ND, NH, NY, SD, VT, WI, WY)
AND CANADA. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION SHEET PROVIDED WITH THE WINTER GRILL
COVER TO ENSURE PROPER FUNCTION
----------------------------------------

here is a notice:
Snow packing of air filter/air induction:
If snow obstructs the air induction/air filter on the 2008 F-SuperDuty, there is a winter grill cover available to correct this problem. The cover is a customer purchase item, and must be installed as per the included instructions. The cover should be removed in temperatures above 50 degrees for normal driving, or 32 degrees when towing. Symptoms include a lack of power under acceleration and restricted air filter lamp illumination. Part number 8C34-19A413-AA. Broadcast Message 0284, 7323.
----------------------------------------------------------

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

I also live in South Dakota and my neighbor, and myself have both plugged two air filters this winter and the trucks were only driven 4-5 miles in powdery snow and the air filter lights would come on. The two of us have been hounding the dealer and finally got a case opened on the issue with ford. Both of the trucks are 08 f-250's and both have the factory winter fronts and snow deflectors in the air box and still are having the problems. It has come to a point that if it snows I take the trusty old 1997 7.3 and plow through as much snow as i want and dont have any issues. It really makes me mad that we had the technology back in 1997 to keep snow out of the intake and now we don't!!
dfouberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfouberg View Post
I also live in South Dakota and my neighbor, and myself have both plugged two air filters this winter
I found my grill cover all wrapped up in plastic behind my left rear seat, and it was a "n/c" on my invoice details. Being curious after all these posts, I just went to this site and configured a 2010 (!) truck like mine:
ProFleetSales.com - Build & Price
and found this stated there:
"*Includes winter front grille cover in AK, CO, ID, IA, ME, MI, MN, MT, NH, NY, ND, SD, VT, WI, WY* "
and also this:
"ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
*Standard in AK, CO, IA, ID, ME, MI, MN, MT, ND, NH, NY, SD, VT, WI & WY. Optional in all other states.* "

Don't know if this applies to any other year, but for 2010, SD is on the list.

HTH,
- Don

edited to add: Apparently the grill cover was added as standard in 2008/Job 3 according to this writeup:
2008 models: what does Job 1, Job 2, and Job 3 mean?

much later edit: note that 2011s apparently do NOT come with grill covers in any state
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.

Last edited by deliberate; 02-28-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: clarify for 2011 owners
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 01:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

My 08 had lots of issues with this dealer kept saying the winter front was the answer which I had one so I told them to take it off and put it back on so it was on correctly still had problems. After a lot of research and some info from another member I came up with another bulletin that was a change to the airbox a deflector type deal. After that I would only get a partial blockage the lower 1/2 to 2/3 of the filter with really light fluffy snow but could still run. My 2010 hasn't had any issues at all but I still always keep a spare filter behind the seat. My friends 08 Dodge had the same thing happen the other day when we were on a sledding trip in MT.
ndmtnsledder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have this deflector installed on my 08 f-250 and all of our f-450's at work and we are still plugging the filters up except for the little hole that sucks warm air from the top of motor, which isnt enough to run right.
dfouberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

I guess mine has at least ran with that area at the top being open. Before mine would die or shut down when I was hitting snowbanks. I still haven't figured out why they didn't try and route the intake to the fender were they have the fake vents below the badges. I once had mine suck a bird all the way into the filter. My next plan if the baffle hadn't worked was to cover the intake behind the headlight with a snowproof material that we use on snowmobile intakes.
ndmtnsledder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmtnsledder View Post
My next plan if the baffle hadn't worked was to cover the intake behind the headlight with a snowproof material that we use on snowmobile intakes.
If you ever take that route, I'm sure many of us here would be interested in your results. What kind of material is that? Sounds very interesting.

TIA,
- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.