2009 F350 Long box All and info. Appreciated! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
2008- 2010 General Questions General questions related to 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2009 F350 Long box All and info. Appreciated!

Currently looking into a 2009 F350 long box. Approximately 80,000 miles. Its had 4 owners. Which turns me off but the husband is looking at it today so trying to prepare with the help of you fine folks! It has already been suggested for us to go for a 2012 instead but not sure why and very likely could be out of our price range. 2 of the owners states commercial use which is also a turn off to me. Well use to pull a 5th wheel so anyone with experience with that would be great info too. Please feel free to lay any info. Out there. Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:33 PM

Well, with 4 previous owners and past commercial, I would not think of buying it. With my repair cost history on 2 6.4s, I would not think of buying it. Pretty truck, expensive to work on/fix/maintain.
2012 and up is a much better bet.

2010 F450 Lariat 4x4--died, but reborn
2009 F450 Lariat 4x4--died, scrapped
2007 F350 KR DRW CC 4x4-Gone to pasture
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSA--hoping for another 10 years
2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3--traded, 10 years of camping memories
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Well, with 4 previous owners and past commercial, I would not think of buying it. With my repair cost history on 2 6.4s, I would not think of buying it. Pretty truck, expensive to work on/fix/maintain.
2012 and up is a much better bet.
Thank you. I feel as u do. I think our price range is why my husband is wanting to look at it. Since you have had 2 6.4 may I ask what kind of repairs u made?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:35 PM

I can't say my luck is anywhere near normal/average, but....2009 F450, hole in piston at 207k miles; 2010 F450, hole in piston at 107k miles. first time, scrapped the truck, bought the '10 used w/64k miles on it. 43k miles later, hole in piston. In Canada, had to get new engine--ended up $16.9k with the exchange rate. New engine going strong at 35k miles later, but I'm holding my breath and saving for a '15-'16...
One thing, I drive a lot and tow a heavy fifth wheel. One thing I would check for on the truck you are looking at: check the hours on the engine--you turn the key on or start it up--there are 3 vertically in line buttons, push the middle one and it should go thru several check parameters on the dash info meter in center of dash--first one should be engine hours. Then miles on odometer divided by engine hours will give you average speed over the life of the truck. Anything under about 40-45 average speed indicates many hours of idling at jobsites. Good or bad, not sure, but 80000 miles over 7 years is very low driving for commercial. If average speed is 45 or more, that should be ok, the truck just sat parked a lot.

Last edited by wingnut60; 04-19-2017 at 07:44 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I can't say my luck is anywhere near normal/average, but....2009 F450, hole in piston at 207k miles; 2010 F450, hole in piston at 107k miles. first time, scrapped the truck, bought the '10 used w/64k miles on it. 43k miles later, hole in piston. In Canada, had to get new engine--ended up $16.9k with the exchange rate. New engine going strong at 35k miles later, but I'm holding my breath and saving for a '15-'16...
One thing, I drive a lot and tow a heavy fifth wheel. One thing I would check for on the truck you are looking at: check the hours on the engine--you turn the key on or start it up--there are 3 vertically in line buttons, push the middle one and it should go thru several check parameters on the dash info meter in center of dash--first one should be engine hours. Then miles on odometer divided by engine hours will give you average speed over the life of the truck. Anything under about 40-45 average speed indicates many hours of idling at jobsites. Good or bad, not sure but 80000 miles over 7 years is very low driving for commercial. If average speed is 45 or more, that should be ok, the truck just sat parked a lot.
Oh my ?? Your situation sounds similar to ours. We can travel with ours a lot depending on his job site location. We also have a large fifth wheel that will be attached. Your information is very helpful. Thanks so much. We would be first time ford buyers. He wants a dually and understand why but I'm not a huge fan. Already looking to go to a newer model just have to see how the numbers fall.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 PM

Ford tried to 'hot-rod' International diesel engines in 2003--suffered numerous failures and took until 2007 to get the 6.0L fairly dependable. Then, for some reason (prob forced by EPA emissions regs) came out with the 6.4L that was supposed to fix all the shortcomings of the 6.0. The 6.4L is a tough engine, and a workhorse, but very prone to fuel-in-water problems and rod/piston failures. When either problem occurs, with the best of maintenance or without, it is a very costly fix, with no guarantee it won't happen again.
Again, I suggest you figure some way to get into a '12 or later 6.7L truck...I had dinner tonight with a contractor that has mostly Fords in his stable--he says since 2014, he has had NO serious problems with his work trucks. I know you say your budget is tight, but I would opt for a high-mileage '12 or later over any '08-'10 to pull a heavy fiver dependably. The 6.7L engine is a Ford design from scratch, not a modded International truck engine.
Wish you best of luck in filling your needs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.