dually fender clearance lights - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

2008- 2010 General Questions General questions related to 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dually fender clearance lights

Bought the truck new 4 years ago, everythings fine except those red and yellow factory lights. Over the years Ive replaced 3 fixtures in the fenders, they just crack and fall out. At $25 dollars each for housing and metal clip, it gets old. Recently the last factory fixture fell out and one I had put in broke loose. I am thinking of getting those Recon LED sets for $100 . Im hoping because they are LED they may attach better, will I be better off? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

When is the last time you replaced one? The original version in 08-09 trucks had a plastic compound that would get soft from the heat of the bulb, distort and crack the arm that holds it in with the metal clip. The ones that are sold through parts now are made with updated plastic, and I have yet to have a problem with them. The way to tell the difference is the older version is made of opaque plastic, while the newer version is clear. Also, you shouldn't have to replace the metal bracket unless the reflector itself broke off...which has happened to me. The metal piece is usually just hanging on the wires behind the reflector. Also, the technique you use to put it in can cause it to break early. Put the short "nub" side into the metal clip, then leverage the reflector in by pushing on it gently sideways from behind the fender until you hear a click.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

The stock lights are fine unless you drive the truck, then the darn things pop out constantly. Most recent failure for me occured in the middle of Montana. Fortunately, I was smart enough to buy two extra of each color last trip to the dealership. ARGH! Like you said, it gets really old in a hurry.

Let us know if you try the LED units.

2010 Mustang GT Premium - 4.6L-3V, 5 Speed, Grabber Blue - Now this is FUN!

1997 F250 EXT Cab, 4x4, E4OD, 4.10, 273k+ miles.
Modifications: Pyro & boost guage, 202 T-stat, transmission cooler & Tymar - SOLD!!!!!!!

2004 John Deere 5420 MFWD Utility Tractor with 541 MSL Loader.
burnetma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thats interesting tfunk, The lights I have been getting from the dealer were always white (opaque), not clear housing... I have always been very careful installing the new ones with the metal clip so only the factory lights have shaken loose, until now. The metal clip is usually gone by the time I get to do the repair, just a naked bulb sticking out of a cracked off reflector swinging inside the fender. My solution maybe to go to the dealer Saturday, ask for fixtures with clear housings. If parts dept. doesn't have them, go to Recon and get 4 LED, If they have clear housings, get 2 and repair, hope the old 2 I installed last.....I cant help but wonder though if the LED's are more rugged, If they are, I would spend the extra money! Thanks for your replies!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

have the recons in my truck for 29000 miles now with no issues will sell the oem ones for 30.00 plus shipping if anyonewants them

2008 F-350 DRW BLACK LONG BED
2005 f250 harley package(sold)
2008 keystone montana 3400rl
2001 ktm 50 lc pro( SOLD)
2005 custom rigid chopper
HARLEYF2502005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
I second the Recon lights! U have to weather proof the connector but the lights rule! And they stick well.
DP 80econ -Stuck there for now because someone stole my SCT box
2 Optima Red Tops
Auto Meter Boost and Pyro Gauges
8,200lbs---Cat Scale---Thats me and and 38 Gallons of Diesel

1987 Mustang GT Cobra Clone- crate motor, cage and more suspension than I know what to do with
Loves to run down Vettes and Vipers on the road course

34 Ft Kaufman Solid Deck 2-Car Hauler
TonkaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.