The Diesel Stop banner

Looking for New Truck

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  lari2001 
#1 ·
HI, My name is Michael and i am new to the site... I joined the forum to do some research on some different makes and models diesel Trucks...

I hope i posted this in the correct fourm... if not please moved to the correct forum as needed...

First, I have to say i am a FORD supporter! I am open to other makes but my 1# preference is FORD.

My primary use for the truck is to pull a camper, boat, and just haul my trailer full of junk to the dump. I am asked to many times... why not get a 1500 or 150... well, for the plain reason.. i want a diesel... I like the newer look of the FORDs but i dont have the cash to drop on a new 6.4 so i was thinking of the 2007-2010 models...

I am looking at a used private sale 2008 F250 FX4 with 84K miles... Are these engines solid or should i keep looking? I know with every batch of engines we will have na sayers that just hate that year...

Any help or suggestion would be helpfull...

Michael

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe re-post in the 2008-2010 general questions section.....it's gets more reader traffic there..

#5 ·
I'd prefer a studded 6.0 over a 6.4

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Spoken like someone who has never owned a 6.oh. Studs do nothing to prevent the many EGR, EGR cooler, turbo and injector failures that plague the 6.oh. The 6.4 is a lot more dependable.

#4 ·
Biggest issue the 6.4 have is the emissions. This motor likes to be worked. It is more of a hwy working type motor. Long runs and stuff.

city driving will kill it.

Maintance is a must. 5K oil changes and 10K fuel filters mainly. It is a good dependable motor as long as you do your maintance and learn to work with the emissions.

Mainly the regen is the issue. You have to monitor that so you know when it occurs so you can get the cycle complete.

#6 ·
I think you meant to say that you don't have the cash to drop on a new 6.7. also 2007 models had a 6.0. The 08-10's have the 6.4. Like Senix said, if you plan on getting a 6.4 you will need to work it, don't use it for constant short commutes where it can't get up to temperature, if you do that you will need to get it out and push it hard as often as you can to keep it from gumming up. Do your maintenance (oil changes, fuel filter changes, water seperator, coolant flushes, transmission fluid checks etc...). If you do those things you should be fine. I love my 6.4, had a death wobble that cost me some cash before we figured out it was the tires all along which was a relief. Before you buy be sure to run an oasis and carfax, talk to the dealer/shop service department that serviced the truck to find out it's history if possible and make sure you get an extended warranty because these engines are expensive to repair and especially expensive to replace. I would NEVER recomend a 6.oh (03-07), I ran one for several years, put 300,000 miles on it, when it wasn't in the shop it was great but too many EGR issues, injectors replaced 3 times and turbo twice. I'm glad it was a company truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.