No rear car seat anchors? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

2008- 2010 General Questions General questions related to 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No rear car seat anchors?

Tried mounting my newborns car seat in the back seat of my 08 f350 6.4 CC SRW. I noticed there were no anchors in the seat. With leather seats, Im woried about the seat sliding around only using the standard seatbelt.
Anyone else have this issue? And any resolutions? There has to be SOMETHING I could use to anchor this.
TIA!

2011 F-150 FX4 CC 5.5' Bed, EcoBoost, BLK/BLK Leather
08TONKA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
I thought the anchors were behind the seat on the back wall of the truck.

2011 F-350 Supercrew 4x4 Lariat 6.7 White Platinum Tri-Coat, 3.31 gears, Interior Package

Dim Sum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

First off there are two kinds of anchors. There is the LATCH system which is down at the bottom of seats and then there is the anchor for the top of the child seat. If memory serves (kids are older now), since its not technically a passenger vehicle being a 250 and 350, the manufacturers are not required to install latch unless something has changed. Even when they are required to install it, it only 1 or 2 seats (cant remember). I cant recall seeing them on the driver side or middle, so your best bet would be the passenger side seat, but I doubt they are there. They were not in my 6.0 that I can remember and I cant say I have seen them in my 6.4.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

i just went thru this on my 08 cc lb sw. there are no "latch" points on these trucks but there are tether points on the back wall. (new for the 08's is a tether point for the middle seat).
i placed a towel under the seat base and pressed down the seat with my knee before buckilng in and it is pressed into seat therefore not moving around any.
gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I donít know if this will help, but I went through this last year with my new born Granddaughterís parents before I was allowed to start the engine LOL.

In Ontario, it is my understanding that if there are rear seats, the childís seat has to be installed in the back. Since there are many variables, I found it even more confusing because the manuals for the different child seats and my truck keep saying to refer to one another? Even after that, the local law enforcers have the final say and were more then willing to assist and approve my installation. Of course this also stopped the debate if an old man did it right.

The few tricks I have learned with installing a childís seat on the back passenger side.

1. To cover the bottom leather part of the seat, I tilt it up and wrap a large towel around it, a couple of times and then lock bottom seat down.

2. The problem with the back of the rear seat, being so close to the back of the cab and the tether anchor point being behind the back of the rear seat, makes it almost impossible to connect and tighten the tether strap when my child seat is in place. I now have an approved loop attached to the tether anchor behind the childís seat and the childís seat tether goes through the loop and I attach the tether strap to the middle tether anchor where I can pull and tighten it. Before I removed the head rest to try to make it easier, but with the loop I donít have too.

3. The shoulder and lap belt have an ďAuto Locking ModeĒ (Refer to the truck's manual). Once I have loosely attached the tether strap to the seat and truck. I thread the shoulder and lap belt through the child seat as per the seatís manual. I put my knee on the child seat and pull up on the shoulder strap and if the strap is in auto locking mode the belt will not come loose. Then I tighten the tether strap. Now I can usually do this within minutes without the parentís supervision and hoping with time I wonít need their inspection after LOL.
Built Nov 26 2013 - Picked up Dec 06 2012
-2008 F-350 CC 4X4 Lariat, SRW, 3.73.
Any color, as long as it's "Black".
Ordered 12/31 - Born 02/11 - Picked up 03/29.
-1972 First Ford - 1956 Fairlane - Mint
Rolled it at 100+mph (Teenager, Duh, no one hurt)
Totaled Oct/73 (Over 35 Years ago and still remember that lesson).
-First New Ford - 79 Bronco - Ordered Mar/79
150K Miles - I disassembled 2000 and I sent it to three different scrap yards.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
-2003 - ZRX1200 (Some say "Mid Life", LOL).
-2008 - Jayco 313RKS 5th Wheel.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, I see the tether points on the back wall behind the seat. These are for "toddler" seats I believe. I guess Im looking for the LATCH system under the seat. I ended up using a bit of "antislip" used for putting under area rugs so they dont slide on a wood floor. Seems to work well and believe it or not, its approved by the Fire and Police chief. Still, it really baffles me that a $50k+ truck doesnt have the best safety features. You have got to think that Ford doesnt believe that only construction workers use these trucks, there are families that buy and use these trucks as well.
After laying the "antislip" on the seat, I placed the base on the seat and kneeled on it while pulling the seat belt complete out as far as it would go, buckled it, and then slowly retracted the seatbelt until tight. I just dont like that it pulls up on the base a bit.....

2011 F-150 FX4 CC 5.5' Bed, EcoBoost, BLK/BLK Leather
08TONKA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well I guess it really depends on that make of seat. The shoulder strap doesnít pull up on the base of my seat, it fits behind by design. Since Grandma said "Grandpa was paying for it", the only input I had was Iím only doing it once LOL. The seat they picked is for new born and up. It had to be installed and visually inspected by hospital staff before the baby could be put in it and brought home in the parentís vehicle.
Built Nov 26 2013 - Picked up Dec 06 2012
-2008 F-350 CC 4X4 Lariat, SRW, 3.73.
Any color, as long as it's "Black".
Ordered 12/31 - Born 02/11 - Picked up 03/29.
-1972 First Ford - 1956 Fairlane - Mint
Rolled it at 100+mph (Teenager, Duh, no one hurt)
Totaled Oct/73 (Over 35 Years ago and still remember that lesson).
-First New Ford - 79 Bronco - Ordered Mar/79
150K Miles - I disassembled 2000 and I sent it to three different scrap yards.
-1982 - My Sister married a GM Sales Manager (He Retired, "Hello" Ford Super Duty, enough said, LOL).
-2003 - ZRX1200 (Some say "Mid Life", LOL).
-2008 - Jayco 313RKS 5th Wheel.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had the same complaint, but ended up anchoring the car seat latches to the seat belt brackets. The car seat doesn't move more than 1/4 inch now (on leather). I think this ended up better than using the actual seat-belt with the shoulder strap adapter.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

The LATCH is not required because it is over 1/2 ton rating, if I remember correctly
Spray in Bed Liner
second radiator
EGR Valve replaced
100% Stock
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.