tailgate removal - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

2008- 2010 General Questions General questions related to 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tailgate removal

how do you get the tailgate off of a 2008-2010 SuperDuty without the counter balance springs unwinding?
Traded March 2013
2008 F450 CC Lariat White/Gold, JAD Solutions Lights, 62 Gal Titan, B&W Hitch, Gold Remote Start, TruckTrunk box, Viair 550+2x2.5gal receiver, 2010 NAV and Sync
---------------------
Traded In Nov 07:
2003 F250 CC LB XLT 4x2 PowerStroke, Captains Chairs, White/Parchment, Torqshift, Heated Mirrors, Trailer hitch
guardrail22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
i will never understand this couter balance thing. the damn tailgate weighs a ton closing it or when I take it off the truck. I never notice a 'snap' or spring like affect which makes it easy to close. Same thing as my old 05 150, it was supposed to have an easy close tailgate.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
how do you get it off?
Traded March 2013
2008 F450 CC Lariat White/Gold, JAD Solutions Lights, 62 Gal Titan, B&W Hitch, Gold Remote Start, TruckTrunk box, Viair 550+2x2.5gal receiver, 2010 NAV and Sync
---------------------
Traded In Nov 07:
2003 F250 CC LB XLT 4x2 PowerStroke, Captains Chairs, White/Parchment, Torqshift, Heated Mirrors, Trailer hitch
guardrail22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail22 View Post
how do you get it off?
The tailgate spring is on the Left side and will slid into the vertical peg on the left side of the truck. The right side of the tailgate will disengage if the tailgate is at a 45 degree angle.

To REMOVE:
Tilt tailgate back about 45 degrees. Lift out right side of tailgate. Straighten out tailgate to a vertical position and pull to the right.

To INSTALL:
Position tailgate close to the mounting position. Keep fairly vertical. Note the Left side tailgate peg on the truck. Note that it is vertical. Note that on the Left side tailgate there is a vertical slot. Position the tailgate vertical slot into the truck mounted peg. Then, tilt tailgate back about 45 degrees and let right side of tailgate slide into the mounting peg on the right side of the truck.

My Wife and I did this routine several times in the last 3 weeks. We are 70+ and she is 5'0" 110lbs dripping wet. It's all about doing it once and developing a technique. BTW, that sucker is HEAVY! Ours is mostly off the truck 'cause we have a Truck Camper.

Hope the above helps.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.