"Ticking" under the dash - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

2008- 2010 General Questions General questions related to 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"Ticking" under the dash

I have an odd problem which I have not seen before. Sometimes, I get a "tick tick tick" where the passenger side carpet meets the heater vent under the dash (glove box). It will happen with just the key on, and not running, or running.... makes no difference. Sometimes it's loud enough to be heard easily while driving 60 or 70 mph. Sometimes I can stop it by putting pressure on the carpet, or placing some sort of wedge (folded paper) between the carpet and the heater vent. I'm baffled.
Anyone have any ideas? I can't imagine what electrical component is behind there.
Thanks in advance.
Rick
renegade559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Blend door motors.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the reply, but I'm not sure what that means. Are there or is there a motor behind that area? The ticking happens with just the key on with heater and a/c shut off.
renegade559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to hkyplr Send a message via Yahoo to hkyplr
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade559 View Post
I have an odd problem which I have not seen before. Sometimes, I get a "tick tick tick" where the passenger side carpet meets the heater vent under the dash (glove box). It will happen with just the key on, and not running, or running.... makes no difference. Sometimes it's loud enough to be heard easily while driving 60 or 70 mph. Sometimes I can stop it by putting pressure on the carpet, or placing some sort of wedge (folded paper) between the carpet and the heater vent. I'm baffled.
Anyone have any ideas? I can't imagine what electrical component is behind there.
Thanks in advance.
Rick
Sounds similar to the problem I had, could only hear it when I was just sitting there idling with the radio off or when the truck was off, key on. Thought it might have been something with the A/C or Heat but it would still do it when everything was shut off. I would also get hot air out of the passenger side vents when the a/c was on and it wouldn't regulate the temp very well. Took it to dealer and they told me the blend door was broken and replaced it. It sucks if you aren't under warranty because it is a dash out repair. Luckily I was under warranty.
2008 F350 CC Long Bed Lariat 4x4 SRW Job 1. H&S Mini Maxx running Mild tunes (for the moment) and S2L Trans tune. 4" Diamond Eye Downpipe back exhaust. S&B CAI. 5th Wheel Hitch. Front Receiver Hitch. Bakflip Tonneau Cover.
hkyplr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had the ticking also and then the main controller failed and now my fans are blowing high. I'm not under warranty and I've left it like this. When I rustle up some extra cash I'm going to order a new unit (EXPENSIVE PART) and install it myself.
scotiadallas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Fortunately, I'm under warranty. 2010 truck with just 22k miles. I'll take it over on Monday and see what they have to say about it. My luck it won't "tick" while they're looking at it. And u probably know how the dealerships are............ if we can't duplicate the noise, we can't fix it.......... even if they know what it is.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade559 View Post
Fortunately, I'm under warranty. 2010 truck with just 22k miles. I'll take it over on Monday and see what they have to say about it. My luck it won't "tick" while they're looking at it. And u probably know how the dealerships are............ if we can't duplicate the noise, we can't fix it.......... even if they know what it is.
My guess is that they are going to know exactly what it is - this seems to be an all too common problem with these trucks - I have read a lot about it.

D
scotiadallas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, as I was afraid, when I got to the dealer, it wouldn't make the ticking noise. The service writer said he knew what it was, but he couldn't schedule it in for repair till he actually heard it. I asked if they replaced both left and right side at the same time as long as the dash was apart, and he said he tries to do both. I asked him then what difference did it make which side it was, and he just said "I need to hear it myself". He also said I have 18k miles left on the warranty, so i have plenty of time for it to get worse.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to hkyplr Send a message via Yahoo to hkyplr
When mine was doing it and I had the a/c on I would get cold air out of the drivers side vents and hot air out of the passenger side vents. If yours is doing the same that might be another issue they would be able to verify in order to get the work done.
2008 F350 CC Long Bed Lariat 4x4 SRW Job 1. H&S Mini Maxx running Mild tunes (for the moment) and S2L Trans tune. 4" Diamond Eye Downpipe back exhaust. S&B CAI. 5th Wheel Hitch. Front Receiver Hitch. Bakflip Tonneau Cover.
hkyplr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Actually, the air blows evenly out of both sides. There doesn't seem to be a problem with how anything works right now, just the noise from what sounds like the gears not meshing correctly.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

My 2009 has the same problem. Everytime i went to the dealer for oil changes i told them to check it. Every time it would not make the noise while the tech or service writer was there. Very frustrating. I at least hoped i was getting it documented with them for when it finally failed. Well, last week it made the noise while pulling into the service dept. I left the truck running and brought the service writer out to hear it. He said, "oh yeah, blend doors. We'll order new ones and schedule the repair. It will take a week to get the parts and 2-3 days to do the repair." The noise seems to have a ticking sound, a grinding sound and a loud tapping sound that changes intermittently. The only consistent thing I found is that shutting off the truck and letting it sit a while would make the noise go away or change the next time the truck was started.
6.4PSD, Auto, 3:55
Crew Cab, short bed
100% stock
Oak Hill Farm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

My truck added a new trick to it's list of issues yesterday. Driving home, with A/C on, it started blowing ICE cold air out the 2 drivers side dash vents but BLAZING HOT air out the 2 passenger side dash vents. Both temperatures were significantly hotter/colder than I have ever felt from it before. Since I have the option of driver/passenger heat controls, I tried to adjust the passenger temp, to no avail. I stopped for fuel, and when I restarted and left, all was working normally. Truck version of the "Raytheon Reset" we use at work on some of our elecronic systems? What was really wrong with the old-school, manual, heater, A/C and vent controls????
6.4PSD, Auto, 3:55
Crew Cab, short bed
100% stock
Oak Hill Farm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak Hill Farm View Post
My truck added a new trick to it's list of issues yesterday. Driving home, with A/C on, it started blowing ICE cold air out the 2 drivers side dash vents but BLAZING HOT air out the 2 passenger side dash vents. Both temperatures were significantly hotter/colder than I have ever felt from it before. Since I have the option of driver/passenger heat controls, I tried to adjust the passenger temp, to no avail. I stopped for fuel, and when I restarted and left, all was working normally. Truck version of the "Raytheon Reset" we use at work on some of our elecronic systems? What was really wrong with the old-school, manual, heater, A/C and vent controls????
A symptom of the same issue. Run the passenger side 10 deg colder and it will work.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.