The Diesel Stop banner

Replacement for side fender vents

25K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  BLUE STEEL 
#1 ·
I just got my '09 F250 and am not real fond of the front fender side vents, anyone find any decent aftermarket replacements?

I'd love to have a mesh screen replacement (and a grille to go with it, but, hey, Rome wasn't built in a day...)

#3 ·
I seen a post here earlier today from a supplier with some aftermarket ones. I can't seem to find it...will keep looking.

#4 ·
in want some custom billet ones with "sic-e" as in e450, milled in'em. someone tells us where to get'm. thanks, richard

#5 ·
I found the thread (Sign up and win). Go to the vendors list and click on BD Deisel Performance. There is a thread showing a pic and chance to win a set of 6.4 Super Scoops.

#7 ·
I did see those on eBay, that's not quite what I'm looking for. Maybe something a little less... well, a little less than that. And a LOT less than $400! I would rather retain the F250 badge, I don't have a problem with that.

#10 ·
F450Mikey,
Same question as Charlie98 [Did that come as an entire bottom replacement piece, or complete swap out w/450 logo?]. Also, how has the quality/weather wear faired so far after two years??
Sincerely,
2008GoldThunder

#11 ·
The factory side vent grill is three pieces. The top, the bottom and the grill. These are Trex (T-Rex?) billet grills. The stock retaining nuts don't work to well. I drilled a hole in the side of the post, shimmed it with washers and used hitch pins to hold them in. They are top quality pieces. Really heavy, that is why the stock hat nuts won't hold them. I had to do the hole/pin mod because I almost lost a grill! Before the mod, I could push them in to the fender when washing my truck. Not now! Here are photos...

First, use a pick to pull the top trim piece out. Some people use a tape covered screw driver and pry it out. I don' know about you, but I don't want to pry against paint!

Next just grab the lower trim with the grill and pull straight out.

Here are photos of the grill remove. Front and back. You can see the washer/shims and the hitch pins which hold the grill into the lower trim.

#18 ·
The factory side vent grill is three pieces. The top, the bottom and the grill. These are Trex (T-Rex?) billet grills. The stock retaining nuts don't work to well. I drilled a hole in the side of the post, shimmed it with washers and used hitch pins to hold them in. They are top quality pieces. Really heavy, that is why the stock hat nuts won't hold them. I had to do the hole/pin mod because I almost lost a grill! Before the mod, I could push them in to the fender when washing my truck. Not now! Here are photos...

First, use a pick to pull the top trim piece out. Some people use a tape covered screw driver and pry it out. I don' know about you, but I don't want to pry against paint!

Next just grab the lower trim with the grill and pull straight out.

Here are photos of the grill remove. Front and back. You can see the washer/shims and the hitch pins which hold the grill into the lower trim.

Thanks for the detailed information. This is on my to do list.

#12 ·
My buddy just got those t-rex side vent grilles and their really wobbly. Is there anyway to fix that? I wasent there when he put them in and everytime I see them it just annoys me, I guess I just have a thing for detail.

#15 ·
Mikey,

Thanks for the photos! That really helps envisioning what it is I want to do. Actually, after seeing your pics, I might just try to build my own out of wire mesh anyway. I just didn't want to have to go and start butchering up my vents.

Cool!

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.