5.4 owners the good,bad - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 Gas Engines

2008- 2010 Gas Engines Discussion of the gas engines available in the 2008- 2010 Super Duty trucks

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 04:37 AM   #31 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modded00EX View Post
I think a lot of the stigma against the 5.4 being a decent base motor for the SD is their fear of revving the motor while towing. The 460 was indeed a workhorse, but its peak torque was at a relatively low 2400rpm so you didn't have to rev it to get the job done. The 5.4 3v on the other hand makes peak torque at 3750rpm. This scares a lot of guys used to towing with 460's or diesels, but the 5.4 will chug along just fine like that.
That is exactly it. The RPM range drives the perception undoubtably. I bought an '07 F350 to get the diesel thinking that one day once the truck was paid for I would get a larger boat (I have a 21' bowrider ~5K lbs) and this truck seems like a waste for that. Towing through the Adirondacks is nice though.

I have not had a single issue with my engine yet however reading the daily drama on this and other boards over the 6.0L has had me considering the risk of owning this thing out of warranty more than once. If I traded it would be an F150 CC. I was going to hold out to see if Ford ever decides to drop a smaller diesel into an F150. There are LOTS of 6.0L trucks on the road so trying to put that into proper perspective is not easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #32 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
i have a 2010 F350 with the 5.4L with the 6spd, standard cab, long box. I have no complaints with it at all. Compared to my old 2000 5.4, Its got all the power in the world. The only thing that i have towed worth mentioning was a bobcat and two buckets on a trailer for a friend, trailer and all it was maybe 9k. Althought its no diesel it held its own up in the Black hills of South Dakota. Over all i couldnt be happier with the truck. But like i said i dont tow alot and totally agree that this engine should not me offered in a 1 ton pickup. 315 hp and 365ftlbs lol its kind of a joke considering most 1/2 tons are even in the 400hp range nowadays.
cadreau87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #33 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sljim View Post
let me know what you think of the 5.4 in the a super cab 4x4 f250 don;t pull big loads but need a 3/4 t0n
I love mine. I am not a fan of Ford diesels. Got 53000 miles on my 2010 with not 1 problem. As you stated you do not tow heavy, so the 5.4 fits the bill perfectly. The 5.4 engine will last a long time if you take care of it, thats my 2 cents.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #34 (permalink)

what about the 6.2??

I have been in a diesel for years and am about ready for a change. What about the 6.2 gasser??
jabe41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #35 (permalink)

I own an 6.0 diesel, my buddy has the same truck with the 5.4 gasser. His truck wont pull what mine does but it does ok for lesser loads. The kicker for me is that he has put nothing in his truck except wear items and is at 209K miles. So far I've put a rebuilt tranny, and $5K in the engine at 150k miles. When you add the extra cost of the motor and diesel fuel, makes my truck look like a pretty crappy investment. Love the power but this thing is bleeding my dry.
Indywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 2008- 2010 Gas Engines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.