The Diesel Stop banner

Looking for a new-to-me truck

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Sancho 
#1 ·
Well like the title says i'm in the market for a truck. My current trucks motor (one in my sig) is on its way out and I just dont think its worth reparing at this pointas it has 276,000 miles on the ticker. I'm looking at a 09 V10 CC SB 4X4 with 45,000 miles to replace it. I drive my truck 5 days a week for work average 250 miles a day on company fuel. My hobby has me towing a goose neck with my and my friends rock crawlers guessing 11-12k this why i'm looking into another 3/4 ton. What are your experiences whit them as far as maintence ect?

#2 ·
Dang , no help here from these guys ? Surprised ...

I'm looking for a newer truck also , dumped my 7.3 last year , wish I still had it , but the body was TOAST.

From what I have read so far , maintenance costs will be waaaay down compared to a diesel.
Fuel costs will be harder to factor , but as I write this , in my area , diesel is $.80 to $1.00/ gal MORE than diesel.
Another thing to consider is how often you pull that gooseneck. If it is a lot , forget about the 5.4. It sounds like it'll do it , but it will be annoyingly slow.

I'm seeing some good deals on V10's and even a few newer 6.2L V8's right now.

Hope I helped some what , maybe others will chime in now.

#3 ·
don't think you'll see 276k miles on a gasser. and if your like me, you don't upgrade vehicles every 2 years or so. i would never go back to towing without my diesel

#4 ·
I towed a 14K lb fiver with my '99 V-10. It did OK. But climbing up long grades I had to put it in 2nd and let it wind up, if I remember correctly to about 5000 RPM to maintain 55 on the grade. There were two occations when I just couldn't get it up on the torque curve and just barely made it over the top of a grade. Maintenance is just a normal gas service every 5K or so. Cheap to maintain. Never had any issues. Sold at 100K+ for the diesel. I needed a Dually so went with the diesel.

If it is just a random occasion for towing the gooseneck then the gas might be OK. But I think your 3/4 ton might be a little light. Why not find a 1 ton (F350)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.