The Diesel Stop banner

Gas in fuel tank 6.7L liter

17K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  John in OkieLand 
#1 ·
Hello, first let me say please be patient if I don't word things right. First diesel and it's a hand me down from the soon to be ex.
I have a 2013 F250 6.7 liter Fx4 with an SCT X4 tuner and exhaust delete kit installed.. My son went to put fuel in it for me and put around 9-10 gal of 87 octane gas in the tank he thankfully had good sense to not start it and a friend towed it home for me. My problem is this I don't have the $600 to tow to dealer and have them drain tank and I'm sure change things that might be fine since truck was never started.. how do I drain the the tank and exactly what should I do to fix my problem if dealer is my only option then I'm good with that but I'd still prefer to get gas out of tank in mean time cuz she's gonna have to sit at least a week before I can have it done

#5 ·
Be sure that the fuel filters are changed. Almost assuredly the ignition was turned on and the electric fuel pump has mixed the gasoline and diesel in the filters and lines up to and back from engine. There will need to be diesel fuel lubricity additive put in the tank with the new fuel to assure the bit of gasoline that can't be flushed out with certainty is neutralized by the additive.

There are several additives available for diesel fuel and I have no favorite but widely available from a long term brand is Sta-Bil diesel fuel stabilizer. The shop may have others like Stanadyne or Howe's. Ford dealers also sell a Motorcraft branded diesel fuel additive PM 22A.
Strangely in several independent studies the Motorcraft product had lower effectiveness in lubrication enhancement than other brands but the PM 22A was still better than mid-pack.

#6 · (Edited)
Not sure how handy you or your son are, but its not hard to just siphon the tank empty, then get 25 gallons of fresh diesel back into the tank. Then perform key on first position, no start cycle(rail pump runs about 30 seconds before shutting off) about 10 times to flush the fuel lines out. Then I'd change both fuel filters. Getting the 25 gallons of fresh would be a lot of trips with a 5 gallon fuel can.... and of course the disposal of the gas/diesel mix. If you are in the country, then it would make for good bon fire starter....just not all at once.

#7 ·
Ive had a diesel for a long time but i was rushing and on the phone with a client and filled my 2011 6.7 up with gas. I didnt start the truck when i realized what i did and had it towed right away to diesel mechanic. Any idea of how much money i'm looking at spending? I only ask bc i just paid for the new year company insurance which was 15k and boy i'm low on money.

#8 ·
Siphon the tank dry, fill it with diesel.

I bought this transfer pump to let me do that.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019ZD3U90?

back in the Early '70s, I used to work for a Natural Gas Pipeline company.
the NG coming out of the fields is wet with water, and we have large Sumps in the pipelines to trap the water out....

that water/fuel mixture was shuttled over to big tanks, and when it settled out, it was pure gasoline of about 75 octane.

My '74 Suburban clocked over 100,000 miles on that 454 engine....
sometimes, enough water would still get in the gas tank,
I punched a hole in the front, right side corner, and screwed in a Brass bushing.
soldered it tight, so no leaks.

then inserted a
Radiator dump valve, worked a treat.

1st time it coughed a bit, pulled to the right, pointed the truck downhill, opened the valve and the water ran out, when gasoline appeared, closed the valve and went on, for another few hundred miles.

so, you might think about fixing a way to drain the tank?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.