Driving across country - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Members' News Discussion and news about members of TDS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Driving across country

I'll be driving across country from North Carolina to California in the next 2 weeks and I was wondering what are some things I should check before leaving on the trip across the beautiful usa. There's nothing wrong that I know of she runs good, sounds good, the idle isn't variating. But I figured there's some preventative maintenance that I could conduct. I have a 2003 ford f250 7.3 with a 6' lift (rough country). Look forward to the communities advice, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:35 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Double check to make sure you really want to go to Kalifornia. If you do, then check your belt,. I'd actually get a new one and put your old one behind the seat as a spare. While it's off, check every pulley for play. Check all radiator hoses. If you don't have the top hose that goes around the belt, swap it. Clean air filter. Fresh oil. Check the axle lube. Do your wheel bearing maintenance and check your brakes. Spare tire inflated? Got your jack and tools? Still sure you want to go to the ROK? Got all your shots? I'd carry a gallon of antifreeze and oil, and a couple quarts of ATF. Wipers ok? All fluids topped off?

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:37 PM

Garage
have some spare CPS, some oil, coolant, Lot of additives if you use in your fuel tank. I just did British Colombia (Canada) to Quebec (canada) last September and will be doing the other way to british Colombian next week (will probably be going trough USA). what I do before leaving is oil change with new filter and new fuel filter. I check all other oil level (trans, diff, transfer case and coolant). in the back I have bunch of tools in my tools box, jack, jack stand, some engine and trans oil and bunch of piece of wood.

F350 2002 7.3

auto,4" lift, 37/13.5/16 open country, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, HPX, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:45 PM

Garage
RT got a good point, GOOD WIPER, windshield washer and CLEAN INSIDE and OUTSIDE of the windshield

F350 2002 7.3

auto,4" lift, 37/13.5/16 open country, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, HPX, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Banned

My Photos: (1)
Check the spare, health insurance, bail money oh and top of the line AAA plan that's set up for truck
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Double check to make sure you really want to go to Kalifornia. If you do, then check your belt,. I'd actually get a new one and put your old one behind the seat as a spare. While it's off, check every pulley for play. Check all radiator hoses. If you don't have the top hose that goes around the belt, swap it. Clean air filter. Fresh oil. Check the axle lube. Do your wheel bearing maintenance and check your brakes. Spare tire inflated? Got your jack and tools? Still sure you want to go to the ROK? Got all your shots? I'd carry a gallon of antifreeze and oil, and a couple quarts of ATF. Wipers ok? All fluids topped off?
How do I check the axle lube? Thats one I never thought of.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 160,000 miles.

NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, AIH Delete, ScanGuage II, AIC, 2002 Headlights, Bilstein 4600, Marinco Mod, Cupholder Upgrade, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 154,000 miles. (purchased 02/17/17)

No mods from previous owner except B&W Turnover Ball. (I have yet to see a Colorado truck w/out one.)
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:39 PM

JMarty,

Be sure to enjoy the low diesel prices...you will never drive across the country for so cheap again ;-)

NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, AIH Delete, ScanGuage II, AIC, 2002 Headlights, Bilstein 4600, Marinco Mod, Cupholder Upgrade, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin LTX

No mods from previous owner except B&W Turnover Ball. (I have yet to see a Colorado truck w/out one.)
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:09 PM

Garage
Almost forgot, grease everywhere you can see a grease nipple

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

F350 2002 7.3

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:35 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'll tell you the same thing that was told to me in '09 by a senior member when I was planning my cross country jaunt:

"carry a credit card with a HIGH limit and LOW balance".

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 09:31 PM
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
How do I check the axle lube? Thats one I never thought of.

Thanks

On the driver's side of the pumpkin on the rear axle is a fill plug. You use a 3/8" ratchet to unscrew it. Oil needs to be to the level of the plug.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:14 AM

Plan in advance. Check out when and where to stop for gas.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys sorry for the late reply, work has me bouncing off the walls, so, yes I have to go to california, I don't have a choice in the matter. It's where I'll be staitioned. I saw alot of advice from all of you and I want to thank you guys, there alot of things that were mentioned that I don't have a clue about. And it's pretty much moat of it, I can Google it and figure it out and start looking it all up and get familiar with her. It came with straight pipes so that's one thing I know I'll have to change before I leave or when I get there. The owner just cut it out and welded a pipe on there :\. Anywho I will start going through all the suggestions one by one and conduct all the possible preventive maintenance. This will certainly be a journey
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:40 AM

An inexpensive but quality muffler is the Walker BTM (Big Truck Muffler).

You can order the stock 3-1/2" or if your pipes are aftermarket there is also a 4" option.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
On the driver's side of the pumpkin on the rear axle is a fill plug. You use a 3/8" ratchet to unscrew it. Oil needs to be to the level of the plug.
I should have said "front".

Thanks!

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 AM
RT

Don't you have a fill plug in the cover of your Dana 60?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > General Discussion > Members' News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.