Mobil dianostic service ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Members' News Discussion and news about members of TDS!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Mobil dianostic service ?

I am thinking of offering a mobile dianostic service in my area for a small charge like 40 to 50 dollars in my area. I am retired and have a lot of free time so I am just doing it to really stay busy. I ammlooking at getting a high dollar machine that will work on almost all vehicles. I need one anyway because I work on my ford, my moms duramax and brothers Cummins. I was just wondering if it was worth trying. I just know most dealers around here charge $140 to just run dianostics. Since I love working on vehicles I figured it might be fun. I am not looking to make a living money is not an issue.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

I was hoping someone would comment on weather it sounded like a good ides or not. I just know that the dealerships take people to the cleaners.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

I am sure each region of the country is different but I think in this area a shop is going to insist on doing their own diagnostic regardless what the customer identifies the problem as.

But for a home mechanic, then having someone point them in the proper direction before they start throwing parts at it seems like an advantage.

Being retired and having a good nest egg...hmmm...would the money for a high dollar machine be better spent on a bass boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 160,000 miles.

NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, AIH Delete, ScanGauge II, AIC, 2002 Headlights, Bilstein 4600, Marinco Mod, Cupholder Upgrade, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 160,000 miles.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, Bilstein 5100, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 07:15 PM

Garage
I just started to do something similar here to fill up spare time and i end it up removing the add after days because so many people wanted a diagnostic and was taking too much of my time LOL most of them wanted to buy a used powerstroke and it cheaper for them to pay 60$ to me instead of 100+$ to dealer or other shop just to see if there is any code. now i do it only to people i know or referred person. I'm pretty sure you'll get some hit and if you do more than ford, i don't see why you wouldn't get couple hits a week.

Bass boat is also a great idea LOL

F350 2002 7.3

auto,4" lift, 37/13.5/16 open country, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, HPX, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Alread have boat and rv but the three kids under 4 and one in high school keep me from traveling and fishing.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 09:20 PM

Garage
what kind a scanner are you looking to get?

I bring my 4 yrs old fishing since he's 2 and he love it!!! pretty funny when he's trying to pickup a 20 lbs live salmon from the bottom of the boat

F350 2002 7.3

auto,4" lift, 37/13.5/16 open country, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, HPX, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what scanner I am going. What are you using. I have a buddy who is a snap on dealer. I am planning on buying one this week.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 09:53 PM

Garage
most of us use AE (autoenguinity) you can buy the family bundle you want to go with it.

I also heard of one snap-on scanner witch a bit more higher hand but more money (don't recall witch one)

on edit: snap-on MODIS

F350 2002 7.3

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014

Last edited by yan7gin; 02-21-2016 at 10:01 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yan7gin View Post
I just started to do something similar here to fill up spare time and i end it up removing the add after days because so many people wanted a diagnostic and was taking too much of my time LOL most of them wanted to buy a used powerstroke and it cheaper for them to pay 60$ to me instead of 100+$ to dealer or other shop just to see if there is any code. now i do it only to people i know or referred person. I'm pretty sure you'll get some hit and if you do more than ford, i don't see why you wouldn't get couple hits a week.
I bet there is a large demand for prospective truck buyers.
Much easier to have a diagnostic scan performed at the sellers location than needing to bring to a shop.

I would have really liked this service before buying my diesel.

2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 160,000 miles.

NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, AIH Delete, ScanGauge II, AIC, 2002 Headlights, Bilstein 4600, Marinco Mod, Cupholder Upgrade, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 160,000 miles.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, Bilstein 5100, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

The snap on modis is the one my buddy has talked to me about. I am going to get on that can do almost everything. I like the ideal of being able to program keys on most vehicles and injectors on the durmax. My mother has had two replaced in the last six mo.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:24 AM

Garage
the big difference between the 2 is the price. I don't know the price your body can get the motis for you but i think it like 6K if im not mistaking. the good thing is you dont need a laptop to run it.

AE with a bundle will put you around 1500$ but you need to run it with a laptop. AE is also able to program keys and PATS. just as a exemple, this is the list of what AE can do on ford (with ford pkg)

https://www.autoenginuity.com/images...tems-List.html

F350 2002 7.3

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

I am going to check out my cusins AutelPro he was a ford diesel mechanic for ten years and dodge before opening his own shop. He swares it better than most the ones he had at the dealerships and better than his other motis. It is only $500 a year to update. And it only runs $2,000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > General Discussion > Members' News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.