Section 00-01: Identification Codes
1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual
VEHICLE CERTIFICATION LABEL (VC LABEL) CODES
Vehicle Type Codes
The vehicle data appears on the certification label on the second and third lines following the identification number.
- The code set (two numbers, or several letters, or a number and letter) above COLOR identify the exterior paint color (two sets of codes designate a two-tone).
- The digits under WB designate the wheelbase in inches.
- The letter or digit under BRAKE TYPE designates the truck brake type.
- The letters and/or numeral under BODY designate the interior trim, seat and body type.
- The transmission installed in the vehicle is identified under TRANS by an alphabetical code.
- A letter and a number or two numbers under AXLE identify the rear axle ratio.
- The letters and/or numerals under TAPE designate the external body side tape stripe code.
- The spring usage codes for the vehicle are identified under SPRING.
A two-digit number is stamped above DSO to identify the district that ordered the vehicle. If the vehicle is built to special order (Domestic Special Order, Foreign Special Order, Limited Production Option, or other special order), the complete order number will also appear above DSO. The following charts illustrate the vehicle codes.