Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - I just turned over 200K, and AC goes out.
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:16 AM
boosterbob

My Photos: (0)
The orifice tube is located in the bulged section of the metal tube between the condenser and the evaporator, just before the springlock fitting. After the system is discharged, disconnect the tube (with the proper unlocking tool) and reach down with a small needle-nose or hemostat and pull out the O-tube. Inspect closely and if there are any metal particles, the condenser will need to be replaced since this style can't be properly flushed. As long as the O-tube screen is intact, the evaporator should be OK but will still need to be flushed to remove the contaminated PAG oil in the system. I rigged a flushing contraption to do it in place and it seemed to work OK. All the other lines will also need to be removed and flushed and I added an inline filter just before the O-tube, just in case. Since you will be doing the labor, don't skimp on parts-use all new, not rebuilt, items, including a new O-tube of the same color. Pay attention to cleanliness and to the small details and the rebuild will be fine. The forum at Automotive Air Conditioning Parts & Equipment - ACKITS.COM has lots of good information.

Send a pm if you need recommendations on parts to use.

96 F350 CC, DRW, E4OD & deep sump, DIY open inlet, stock injectors, TW chip, 4" MBRP, cat-less, ISS Pro gauges, Bilsteins, air bags

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome