The Diesel Stop banner

Transfer hose

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  RoGrrr 
#1 ·
I've got a cheap 12v pump from Harbor Freight to move used oil to a 30 gal barrel in the back of my van.
(I got a one year, 'no questions asked' warranty on the pump)

I'd like to keep the pump near the van.
What kind of hose, and how long, would y'all recommend.
I was thinking of getting a $30/ 50ft heavy duty garden hose from Home Depot.
Do y'all think it will hold up without collapsing?
Is 50FT a good length?

Thx in advance.

#2 ·
I use a piece of garden hose with an adaptor to go to a piece of 1 inch PVC. On the PVC, I placed a coupler, which I filed out the web so I can slide it up to the top of the tube. Then I slide an O-Ring (what fits over the tubing) all the way up to the adaptor.

The garden hose then goes to the pump (I use a 6.5 HP engine driven pump from Horrible Fright) and when I light it up, it REALLY SUCKS ! I can pump 100 gallons in about 10 minutes. Then I can GET OUTTA DODGE !

The reason for the adaptor and o-rings is that when you withdraw the pipe from the tank, it’s covered with oil. I then slide the adaptor down to the end of the pick-up tubing. The O-Ring acts as a squeegee, getting most of the oil off so you won’t have to wipe it off to clean it. You’ll still have some to wipe but it isn’t as nasty as wiping your butt.

Have a spare O-Ring or THREE. The reason for having spare O-Rings is that you’re gonna drop one into the holding tank. And don’t ax me how I know this. Fortunately, I had a spare ring. (even tho I REALLY didn’t need it, since I didn’t drop that first one into the tank. Tha’ssss my story and I stickin’ too itt !)

The garden hose is stiff enough that it won’t collapse from your 12 volt pump. I have one of them too so I have that experience. I used it when I couldn’t get my truck in to make the pickup. I wheeled in a small tank and used my battery pump.

#8 ·
Wolfie
I pumped about a gallon per minute with my 12 volt pump thru the garden hose. However, I wasn't in any hurry at that time and it wasn't all that warm when I was using it.
RoGrrr

#4 ·
my own opinion---garden hoses, no matter what quality, aint going to stand up to wmo or wvo for very long--

#6 ·
oil/fuel rated hose is expensive...might be able to replace a cheap garden hose every so often...

#7 ·
Garden hose will probably collapse under even a slight vacuum and heat. It will not hold up to WVO for very long. A good hose to use would be Polyurethane based such a the Superthane hose (braided or not). Has thicker wall so will not collapse under pump's succion and is compatible with WVO and biodiesel. I use it all the time to transfer from a 275 gal tote to my automated processor. See here.

#9 ·
I know omega has a listing of hoses and what fluid they handle well...I would also use a wire or plastic spiral, vacuum rated hose for suction.

#10 · (Edited)
Thx for the help folks.

I found some heavy duty, 8 ply garden hose in 15ft lengths at Northern Tool.
They where selling them for about $5 each, so I grabbed 3.
It's pretty stiff stuff.
I'm on a very thin shoe string, with luck, they'll do at least for a while.

#11 ·
Wolf
I doubt you will have problems with your heavy duty garden hose. I would use that stuff in a heartbeat (well, I already do). And since you bought spares, take an extra one with you and if suction side starts to collapse, use it for the output and put the new one on for suction. However, I bet you will be able to use it for many MANY years b4 you show any hint of trouble.
RoGrrr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.