Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - 4"x30' 40,000# recovery strap enough?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Matt0987
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95DRW4x4 View Post
It's best to have a recovery strap that will strech and one that doesn't have hooks on it. In many off road recoveries the pulling vehicle needs to be moving and the strap absorbs that energy , like a rubberband, and jerks the stuck vehice out. Chains and cables don't allow for this type recovery and that's why parts get broken and bent! Hooks on straps often become missiles and can go thru windshields. It's best to have "D" rings or some other type of secured fastener. Most stretch type recovery straps have loops on the end that can be secured on the vehicles tow hooks/points. A 4 inch strap at 40K is pretty hefty! I've used 2 inch 20K for pulling my Ranger (5K) for 16 years and it's never broken. I've even recovered full size K5s and F-series truck with it. Maybe a 3 inch 30K might be best for a heavy truck. You just want it to be able to strech a little otherwise you could use a chain!
What about length? I have to guess they come in different lengths, right? Or, are they all a standard (1) length?

'03 Excursion, 7.3L, 4X4, Auto tranny of course (they all did), 4" MBRP exhaust, TS performance chip, K&N FIPK w/ an Amsoil EA filter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, drilled/slotted front & rear rotors. Rancho XL shocks, Rancho steering damper, Airlift 5000, S&S Diversified headlight mod. This baby surprises a lot of, so called, performance cars.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 F 350, extended cab, 6.0L, FX4, manual tranny, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bully Dog Triple Dog downloader w/ Outlook monitor (Very disappointed in the Bully Dog), 2m-70cm Yaesu ft-8500, S&S Diversified headlight mod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'96 Mustang Cobra convertible, B&M short throw shifter, Koni adjustable shocks, viper chip, drilled/slotted rotors front and rear, rear sequential turn signals.

'11 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic 103 ci PowerPak w/ anti lock brakes & Smart Security system. It even has cruise control!!! Candy Dark Root Beer over Candy Light Root Beer

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome