Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - Transfer case fluid change,differentials oil change
View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 AM
klhansen
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Kevin, read that again and you'll see it says "Do not use ... in transfer cases."
HMM, , you're right, Smokey, but Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF says on the bottle, "Also suitable for use in automatic transmissions for the following applications: .....Ford Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon LV...."
To me that means it's equivalent to Mercon, which was what Ford called for in my t-case as well as an automatic tranny for my year model.

I have a suspicion that Ford's "Transfer Case Fluid" may be the old Mercon, but that's just a guess. Maybe they rebottled their old Mercon stock and remarketed it. Ford doesn't say why not to use Mercon V in t-cases. I can't see what would make a t-case self destruct with Mercon V in it, as there aren't any synchronizers, friction clutches or similar things like you'd find in an auto tranny, just gears, bearings, and a chain.

I just put the question to Exxon Mobil thru their Mobil 1 website. We'll see what they say.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome