Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - axle gearing and towing up hills
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 PM
chuckster57

My Photos: (7)
My experiences

Since your running an IDI and it looks like it's N/A from your sig- here's what I have found:

I have the stock 225/75-R16 tires and the E4OD with 4:10 rear end. I tow a Fiver that weighs in at 9,000 Lbs dry. Florida is FLAT compared to my end of the states and I have no real problems with the passes out here. Your being N/A and not turbo'd makes a HUGE difference in the IDI when it comes to pulling weight up a hill. With my mods I am running near 240 HP and 400 Lb/Ft of torque compared to 180 HP for your engine.

Mileage kind of sucks with the 4:10 gears (15 empty and 10.5 with the house on the flats). I just make sure to take it out of O/D when I see a big climb coming and downshift as needed to stay at about 2600-2800 RPM.

If you change your gears to 4:88, I think your gonna be sorry as your truck will be screaming when your towing at 65 MPH ( I am running about 2350 RPM) and your gonna be making lots of fuel stops. A turbo would be so much better than a regear, but $$ can be the driving force.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome