The Diesel Stop banner

Are you going to keep your truck until you run it into the ground?

8K views 87 replies 71 participants last post by  Stan96 
#1 ·
I was just thinking back to when I first joined here in 98 under my old username. Man a lot has changed.

So those of us with the first gens are you happy with your truck to keepit for the long haul?

I know I am. I dont drive mine much anymore since My wife got a new car and I zip around in her old one most of the time.

My truck just turned 100k 3 years ago and Im only at 106k now. I love driving it just hate putting miles on it.

But man do I sure love it! I think I'll keep her forever!

What are your guys' plans.

#2 ·
I'm at 185k now. I plan to run it into the ground then give it a complete frame up restoration... motor, body, and everything else. It's the first vehicle I've owned and I hope to keep it a long time.

#3 ·
Hey, Dennis!!!

I *plan* on keeping my truck for several more years.... 'Course I thought that about the one that got hit by the Subaru & totalled out... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif I'd say I fall into the "I'm really happy with my truck" category. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually, I still owe 2 more years worth of payments on this truck.... I have to keep for several years after that; I hate car payments.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

#4 ·
Hopefully I will continue to drive this truck for at least 8 more years. I would like a new vehicle when I retire. However if there is nothing decent out there, I will keep it. Maybe they will improve things in a few years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

#5 ·
Plan on it. But, after seeing 72PStrokes truck, if anything bad happens physically, knock on wood, I have an old 78 that could use some love and affection (and a PSD motor!!!). Otherwise, this truck is in for the long haul.

#6 ·
Yes, I intend to drive it into the ground, although the longer I own it the more I think the previous owners may have already done it for me. Have had to repair/replace quite a bit on it in the 14 months I've owned it, but at least I know what's not likely to break soon.

This truck is a lot like me: looks pretty good from a distance, still strong and can go all day, but if you get closer you see the dents & scars & general wear&tear. I kinda like it...and I own it.

Josh R

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Ill probably pass the tradition on and give my son my truck as his first like mt dad did for me (my 73) only thing is I gotta get a son first!

[/ QUOTE ]

I got 3 of'um /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. What say I send you the 15 year old. You feed him a few years and call him yours, them send him back with the truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Where did ya git them grab handles for the doors? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#10 ·
ABSOLUTELY!!!!! I have just under 240,000 on the 'ol girl, and it seems like the higher the miles go, the better she runs. My 16 year old son is wanting the 'ol man to get a new truck, so he can have mine.........NOT YET!!!!!!!!!! Maybe later...........

#11 ·
[ QUOTE ]

Hopefully I will continue to drive this truck for at least 8 more years. I would like a new vehicle when I retire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez...sounds alot like me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

I plan on keeping my truck well past retirement, and it would be real sweet if I never needed another! I still haven't hit the 100K yet, but will at some point this year, and I truly hope it gives me the longevity I'm looking for.
I drive my truck every day to work and back, and it pulls my travel trailer on all my vacation times just fine, and I doubt they will be making this old body style again, so there is no need to buy another!

So yes, I'm in for the long term!

Dale

#13 ·
this is my first vehicle, and will probably be my last. im going to keep it forever. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#14 ·
I had planned on the 96 for a very long tiem, the blown motor soured that some but I love the 97, I really like the body style , even the buddy with the 99 wants to take mine every where ( faster ), if I have to again , new motor ( sombody hates me )

#15 ·
Ordered mine in July of 95, it showed up late October 95. Paid for, only 130k miles. Since a replacement would be about 45k or so it will be around a long time, very happy with it. Besides I already put a BTS in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#16 ·
Yep, I plan on it as well.

Just turned 115,000 yesterday and running well. It's paid for and I'm starting to better understand how it works, so I'm more confortable with it.

Unless something unforeseen happens (like Jimmie), I'll be seen in the driver's seat (sometimes in the passenger's) for the long haul.

JB

#17 ·
I like the 3/4 ton better for my general use so it may get a new tranny and keep going. It has 297K on it.

I would liek the F250 MUCH MUCH better if I could get rid of the vibration going down the road above 55 or so. I bet finding a decent set if steel wheels would help a bunch. I have been WAY to busy to investigate it more since the last set that yet again, come out of the box out of round.

Guess I will keep both because they are hard to find around here in 2wd and being the same color they make for a good set.

#18 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ill probably pass the tradition on and give my son my truck as his first like mt dad did for me (my 73) only thing is I gotta get a son first!

[/ QUOTE ]

I got 3 of'um /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. What say I send you the 15 year old. You feed him a few years and call him yours, them send him back with the truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Where did ya git them grab handles for the doors? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no thanks, I've alredy adopted my 11 year old brother. he eats enuff!

the handels are part of the convertion package.

#19 ·
OH Yeah! I sold my paid for 2001 F150 4x4 that I ordered while overseas for my 97 F250. I love this truck! When something breaks I will just build it better and stronger. It's the last truck I will own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#20 ·
276,000 plus on mine, it's paid for, can't afford a new one, when it is clean it is a Beautiful truck, loyal, and would never complain when I ask it to pull anything. Gee sounds like a perfect companion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Maybe shoot for a 2007 they will have twins from the factory, depending on how the 96 holds up.

Anyway the boy had a worn out F 150 that was his first learn to drive truck and when it got bad enought that I was repairing it more than he was driving it I bought him a 96 F 250 PSD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#21 ·
Keeping it forever, that's the plan. If the day ever comes that I decide to buy another truck, I'll still keep this one.
I've traded cars a lot since I started driving, and have never had anything as long as I've had this one, 70K miles. I'm not starting to get tired of it yet, so I don't see an end to the relationship. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#22 ·
Same here put too much time and TLC into the ol' girl to ever get rid of her, as said before had this truck longer than any other. It's been dependable, pulls good, and I love to drive it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif It'll always be around!
Justin

#23 ·
As long as parts are availible I'll keep her going as long as possible though its starting to no longer be only a 95 Ford & not remotely year specific as it has parts from 92 to 02 on it.

#24 ·
I plan on keeping her around for a long while. A side note for engine life, I drive part time for a airport shuttle from the Mississippi Gulf coast to New Orleans airport and I drive E350 12 passenger vans. The oldest one is a 95 and the newest one is a 99. They all have PSD engines and some of the 95s have 1 1/2 million miles on the original engines. I don't know exactly how much major maintenance or repairs they have had but the ones I have driven have not had the engines opened up as far as I know. Just routine maint. and oil changed every 5k mi. The newest ones have about 600k mi. on them. So, having said that, one can expect to keep them as long as it fulfills their dreams/needs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Bud

#25 ·
I have a 156000 on mine and 100000 of those are fairly hard miles. Recently I have pretty much parked it because it was starting to take too much money and I need to get my career going and all that fun stuff before i can continue playing with it. In the end 40 years from now it will sit in a garadge all restored and be one of my antiques /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

#26 ·
funny this topic came up. this morning while plowing around 3 am. i said to my self wow i love this truck. it has just been the most reliable thing i have ever owned. even though it only has 54k miles on it. it has never missed a snow storm. part of the reason for low mileage is i hate driving it and getting it dirty. but when she is rotted out i'm rebuilding her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.