The Diesel Stop banner

Ford 6.0L in a '1989 Ford van E350

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  vacuumbed 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 1989 Ford van motorhome with the 460 gasoline engine and the C6 trans. The wheelbase on this RV is 156" and the axle ratio is 3.55.

I also have a donor vehicle, it is a 2007 Ford E350 cutaway with the 6.0 diesel. it's an ex-ambulance with the box removed. The 2007 runs great with 119K miles on the odometer.

I like the 6.0 because it's quieter than the 7.3 Powerstroke.

The biggest problem I see with this swap is that the 1989 E350 doesn't appear to have room in the radiator area for the intercooler of the 6.0. I know I can't run a 6.0 without an intercooler. Since the 7.3 up to 2003 doesn't use an intercooler when installed in a van, it seems that would be an easier candidate for a swap.

Please chime in on this, thanks in advance.

#2 ·
What is the wheel base on the ambulan?
Maybe just swap the whole frame and drivetrain?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Well you could stick with the 6.0 and run a water to air intercooler, which can be remote mounted.

#6 ·
They probably won't advertise one.

#7 ·
Measure around the doghouse opening. I think the opening was enlarged for the 6.0L. You may have to do some modifications.

#8 ·
I know that body style had 6.9 - 7.3 in them. Just not sure there is enough room for that 6.0 in there. Personally I think I would stick with the 7.3 engine even if it is not as quite.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone, tomorrow I'm going to pull the doghouse on both vans and measure.

A few other concerns. 1992 and newer vans have the PCM above the gas pedal, where 91 and older it's on the passenger side below the A/C evaporator case. Soldering extension wires on that harness may be needed.

The 5R110 transmission I think uses a shifter cable. 1991 and older vans use linkage coming off the steering column. Maybe the shift assemble from an older E4OD will fit the 5R110, I need to look in to that.

#10 ·
The 5R110 transmission I think uses a shifter cable.
Yes it does.

Maybe the shift assemble from an older E4OD will fit the 5R110, I need to look in to that.
I don't know if it will fit or not. I do know that the 5R110 has one more position than the E4OD. That may or may not cause a problem. The E4OD has PRND21, the 5R110 has PRND321. I don't know what the shifter and display will do, it may just go past the indicated 1 position. It may also stop when it indicates 1, which will be 2 in the transmission.

#11 ·
Mark Kolvalsky led me in the right direction. Thank you Mark. There is not enough ceiling height in the engine compartment of the older van. From the top of the bellhousing of the trans to the ceiling of the engine compartment in the older van is about 15 inches. In the 2007 van, it is about 16 and 3/4 inches. The turbo on the 6.0 is right up close to the ceiling.

So that does it, the 6.0 will not fit in a 1991 and older E-series van. Unless you put it in the back of the van as cargo. LOL

Unfortunately I don't have a 1999 to 2003 7.3 Powerstroke van around to see how much ceiling height is needed for that setup.

#12 ·
What about body mounts to raise the van 2" off the frame?

#13 ·
That would most likely work if it was regular van, but mine is a motorhome on a cutaway chassis. It could probably be done, it's a big effort. There are holding tanks and such that would have to be dealt with.

It's kind of a bummer honestly, I really like the 6.0 and the 5R110. I like how they run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.