Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - Failed Coast Clutch - Am I safe to drive In mountains?
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:08 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
[sarcasm]It must have been defective. The gears came out of mesh when coasting in overdrive, then magically fixed themselves when you went power on again.[/sarcasm]

What you're saying is analogous to saying your engine's connecting rods are only connected to the crankshaft power on, but they disconnect when coasting. Then when you go power on again they reconnect.

Coast braking is ALWAYS active in fourth gear. It isn't created by the coast clutch, the arrangement of the powerflow in fourth gear ALWAYS has coast braking. There is no way it can remain in fourth gear and not have coast braking.

You can disagree with me if you like. One of us understands how power is transmitted through the transmission, and one of us does not understand.

What you may have had is a torque converter that had a higher stall speed than the one you currently have. A higher stall speed will allow the engine speed to drop further than a low stall converter.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome