Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - Rotella Motor Oil
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 08:32 AM
Oneof6

My Photos: (0)
API Spec it's a good thing

Well that's fun, marketing is a strong influence on preferences. There are way more brands than there are refineries to make the oil. From Ace Hardware to Ford everyone seems to have a "Brand" an anecdotal reputation and a committed customer following. Many, like Ford, have their own spec # but it backs into and uses as a base the API spec. API has specs and grades for oils that manufactures brand. Manufacturers meet or exceed that spec and all use that API relationship as a baseline for quality.

So think of it along this path. I really like MY oil because it comes it a neat bottle and its purple, or green, or has a high tech sounding name or has a gimmick sales approach but WOULD I really actually buy it if on the back it was written "Does Not Meet API Specifications" for your engine?

It's not magic Pixie juice, it's an Engineered product. Use those man/years to your advantage and check and rely more on API Engineered specifications than brand marketing.

2002 F250 7.3L PSD, bought new now at 226K miles, 4R100 Auto, Crew Cab, Short Bed, ITP Regulated Fuel Return system, ITP head to head SS oil cross over, Hutch in tank mod
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome