Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - Rotella Motor Oil
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:34 PM
ArcticDriver
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneof6 View Post
Well that's fun, marketing is a strong influence on preferences. There are way more brands than there are refineries to make the oil. From Ace Hardware to Ford everyone seems to have a "Brand" an anecdotal reputation and a committed customer following. Many, like Ford, have their own spec # but it backs into and uses as a base the API spec. API has specs and grades for oils that manufactures brand. Manufacturers meet or exceed that spec and all use that API relationship as a baseline for quality.

So think of it along this path. I really like MY oil because it comes it a neat bottle and its purple, or green, or has a high tech sounding name or has a gimmick sales approach but WOULD I really actually buy it if on the back it was written "Does Not Meet API Specifications" for your engine?

It's not magic Pixie juice, it's an Engineered product. Use those man/years to your advantage and check and rely more on API Engineered specifications than brand marketing.
I don’t have any experience with Pixie juice so I will defer to your wisdom & man-years on that...Lol

Meanwhile, saying that all oils are alike is akin to saying all batteries are alike because the majority are made by Johnson Control.

Its an oversimplification that simply is not true.

Here is a link to the Petroleum Quality Institute of America. Its full of Engineers that have spent their man-years researching petroleum products in the marketplace thinking there were differences between those products...they will no doubt be grateful to you for saving them any further wasted effort in their endeavors.

http://www.pqiamerica.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome