The Diesel Stop banner

Manual Transmission Fluid Change

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
I'm using Amsoil manual transmission fluid and thinking of changing it with 40K on it. The use is mixed with an empty truck and moderate towing. I don't want to throw away good oil. Any rec's on how many miles I can safely put on it?

Thanks, Pat

#2 ·
Way more than 40k miles. Your scheduled maintenance manual (assuming you still have one) says 60k miles, normal service.

#3 ·
I just had a "hot flush" performed on my 6 speed manual by the dealer (forgot to ask them what type of fluid they used). Is there such a thing as a friction inhibitor for manual transmissions? I use Rev-X at oil changes, my buddy swears by that stuff as engine oil additive. If such a thing exists I would like to add to my transmission oil while it is new.

#4 ·
What would you need a "friction inhibitor" for in a 6-speed? It might actually interfere with the operation of the synchronizers. Just my 2cents.

#5 ·
Agreed.

Just use a high quality ATF like Mobil-1 and its additive package will have all you need.

#6 ·
I guess I was assuming that if there are addatives for big motors there would be the same for manual transmissions. I read about guys sometimes having problems with their automatics as soon as 40-60K miles on them. I want to do what I can to keep the power train as happy as posible since it has 227k on it.

#7 ·
I am of the opinion that 7.3’s don’t need oil additive products because motor oils today have such robust additive packages these days.

The automatics are a very diffferent animal from the manual trans but I understand your desire to want to take good care of your ZF-6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.