The Diesel Stop banner

LEft stranded, again, New Cam Sensor DID NOT fix this time...

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  stevedunham-2 
#1 ·
6th time in ~ 2 years I was left stranded with a no start, no CMP/CKP Synch, no FICM Synch on the Scanguage II. I replaced the CMP Sensor again ( I'm now an expert at this process having done it 7 times now), but this time, it DID NOT FIX THE NO START. The last time this happened, I replaced a 6 month old CMP with a Motorcraft CMP, and did the Pigtail repair also meticulously following the process to the letter. After that repair, the engine did not fire immediately, but did after several attempts which leads me to believe my engine harness may also be suspect. Yesterday, the "no start" left me stranded way back in the sticks with a 29.5' camper trailer... I drove 60 miles in our other truck to get another new CMP, replaced it, and the engine still did not fire. I messed with the harness a bit, and checked oil level, ICP, IPR, and a few other common "no start" causes... No CMP/CKP, no FICM Synch were still the cause. I then gave up and towed the truck out to the road about 7 miles on a very rough, bumpy, wash boarded road, and just for the hell of it, I tried to start it before calling a tow truck and it started................. We drove back in, hooked up the trailer and towed it back home... I'm now leaning towards some sort of engine harness problem, and most likely will replace it vs. try to diagnose it... I'm assuming this is another major surgery to replace the harness considering all the connectors that are involved... I'm assuming they are still in the $400 to $600 dollar range to purchase...?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to read about your troubles. I've never replaced the main harness but can't imagine that it would be that hard. Since I've been into the motor a few times, I've had most of it disconnected at one time or another.

I own two 6.0's, which is kind of like having two ugly wives, but in my case, I've spent so much time learning how to fix them, I'm not in the mood to switch up and have to learn an entirely new motor because they all have problems - just read the 6.7 threads, etc.

Best of luck. Don't forget we've all been through it with the 6.0 so we're like the local Ford Bartender. Speaking of that, a good cocktail helps ?

#3 ·
The issue seems to have been resolved by replacing the engine harness as it hasn't left me stranded since that weekend and the engine is running better than it has in years. Upon inspecting the old harness for signs of wear, there was a repair done by somebody (Ford...?) that looks suspect but other than that, no obvious signs of chafing, wear through, etc.

#4 ·
Glad to hear it Steve. How much was the harness and how hard to replace?

#5 ·
I paid $468 for the harness and a new CKP sensor. It was somewhat of a PITA because I have the IPR remote Oil Cooler and Coolant Filter so they are in the way of the passenger side of the engine. I drained the Radiator fluid and Engine Oil which was due to be changed anyway. The FICM has to come off to get to the IPR/ICP sensors, as well as the Air cleaner, Pass Side turbo CAC tubes, the AC Compressor has to come off/move which was a PITA due to hidden bolts underneath. Everything else was pretty straightforward. It took me 2 days working 6 - 8 hours a day to get it done. I opted to not remove the batts but that might have made things a bit easier since you have to gain access to the PCM which sits right up against the drivers side batt...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.