Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - Calling all tow pros... Gauges, MPG's, possible upgrades?
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
DAH7

My Photos: (0)
Send a message via MSN to DAH7
Im sure the 6.7's are a huge upgrade in technology most of all. Unfortunately, my wife and I are not in a position to step up to that truck at this stage in our lives. Out toy hauler weighs about 7k when loaded down now, and I dont see it ever weighing more than 9k in the future (even if we get a RZR in there). So I am hoping if I take care of this truck and treat her well, that she will last me at least another few years... which seems reasonable to me

I dont plan to squeeze a bunch more horsepower out of this truck, I just want her to be reliable and steady for a few more years. The only reason I want to get my EGT's lower is just because I don't want to damage the motor. I have read that towing at 1250 all day is well within the limits of these trucks, but it still stresses me out seeing it pegged at 1200 for 15 minutes at a time. Perhaps I just need to be more comfortable with letting it rise to 1300 now again for 10-15 second intervals.

If I keep it out of overdrive and I'm pulling a steady grade for 1 minute or so, whats a safe RPM range and EGT level to do this at? Someone mentioned I could roll at 3k RPM's for a while no problem, but i've never taken the truck above 2500 RPM's... and even then I felt like I was beating on it pretty good. Is that just all in my head? Do I just need to quit babying this truck?

1996 f-250 XLT 4x4 7.3 - 215k miles - bone stock, for now...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome