Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - Eliminating fuel filter heater
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:00 AM
ArcticDriver
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrebuiltdodge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Actually I've used the Permatex/Locktite tape a lot, but like the factory rep said, you have to start it a thread or two back tapering the windings, and most importantly, wind it on in the proper direction so it stays put. Been a life-saver winding it on thick on certain worn out sloppy hydraulic fittings.
I have used it extensively as well. I have also seen cast, and especially aluminum housings split wide open because someone overtightened a fitting with tape on it. Having been in the oil and gas industry, I have gone through more teflon tape than I care to think about. I simply tried to keep the OP from ruining his filter housing.
I think you guys are both right. PTFE tape is an excellent product for so many applications WHEN USED CORRECTLY.

The trouble is, and I don’t think this is an exxageration, the majority of guys don’t know how to use it.

There are alot of self-taught or YouTube DIY guys who mistakenly think its tape, how difficult can it be? The days of knowledge being passed down ended 20+ years ago so you have guys who don’t know telling new guys that don’t know.

And this holds true in the Oil & Gas Industry and not just the shadetree mechanic.

I see guys pulling it apart resulting in “strings” instead of cutting it, using too much, getting small particles or even metal shaving stuck to it, wrapping the wrong way, not wrapping snug, etc..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 12-25-2018 at 07:38 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome