Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - Learn me on turbo rebuilding/replacement
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:35 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Great questions. There are a few step by step instructions out there. Here's one - Welcome to BDrummonds Van Turbo Rebuild Web Page It's for a van, so it doesn't have the wastegate, but the center section is the same.

The exhaust side wheel shouldn't need replacing unless you ran the bearings completely out and scored the shaft. The intake wheel is aluminum and gets chewed up easier. Plus, there are improved versions out there sold by RiffRaff and DieselSite. Stick with those two - there are a ton of "Made in China" knockoffs and you don't want a substandard wheel coming apart on you. Speaking of coming apart, it is MANDATORY to get the rotating assembly balanced as a whole. Yes, the new wheel is balanced, but you will ensure that the entire rotating assembly is completely balance as they will be spinning in the truck if you do this.

As to the kit, I would recommend you get this one - https://barderturboservice.com/produ...thrust-upgrade. Make sure and use the pull down box to get the one for your year. Personally, I sent my center section, the rebuild kit, and my new wheel to Arundel Diesel & Performance: Going the Extra Mile | 410-969-3399 and had the unit balance and assemble the new parts. That way, the same guy who makes the scribe marks on the intake wheel and shaft is the one lining them back up. I figured that would be the most accurate approach. Then, I can reassemble the turbo and install it. I actually bought a used center section from another member who had gone the cartridge route so I have mine sitting in a box waiting for me to do my 250K tune-up.

I also bought a new wastegate as that's one of the weakest parts of the turbo. I went with this one. https://www.dieselsite.com/19995-200...ontroller.aspx Yes, it's a bit pricey, but I am convinced it's going to be worth every penny.

Like Denny said, get a new install kit. The one from Diesel O-Rings is the one I chose. Turbo Re-Install Kit - GTP38 He also has the bellowed up pipes and anything else you could ever need for a 7.3

Living in an area where cold weather is a brief event, I am eliminating my EBPV. I bought the pedestal and exhaust outlet for that. I'm also going to wrap my up pipes on my bellowed kit when I do it. Nick wrote a thread about that. https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...rapped-446922/

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome