Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - Exhaust Brakes and 2002 F350 stock braking
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Big Horn
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
I know nothing about exhaust brakes, or even how well the stock F350 does holding back towing loads on steep down grades. So I plan to eventually buy a 5th wheel. The heaviest trailer (wet load) I’ll be able to tow will be around 11,500 lbs to stay within the manufacturers 20K GCVW. The steepest pass I have ever drove (not towing) is Wolf Creek Pass in SW Colorado to and from Pagosa Springs across the Rockies San Juan National Forest to elk hunt- so I’ll use that grade as an example.

I realize the 5th wheel has electric brakes. How do the combined braking systems (truck/trailer along with A/T down shifting work on a downhill grade like this towing a 11K trailer. Is it anything to be concerned with using the superduty 7.3L trucks and if so is an add on exhaust brake needed. I live in Illinois so mountain driving will be limited to vacations and hunting trips.

I’m sorry for all the novice questions, but would like to plan ahead while I’m “building” this truck for dependable towing for retirement in the not to far distant future

Last edited by Big Horn; 01-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome