Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - Exhaust Brakes and 2002 F350 stock braking
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Big Horn
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
I found an older post by Mark Kovalsky (2008) that may have answered my question, partially, on the capability of the stock truck’s braking ability using the engine/AT along with the truck/trailer brakes.
I believe Mark said by disengaging the OD button—turning the light off/OD off, the coast clutch (4R100) engages in gears 1, 2, & 3 and the transmission now drives the engine, allowing the engine to idle, and giving a breaking “effect” instead of the engine driving the transmission and No need for the t/c to be locked.

As long as I didn’t misunderstand-
So with that said, and with a Diesel engine having much higher compression than a gasser I would think the braking effect would be significant, but I’m still not sure how much assistance this would give to the braking effect on an 11K trailer on a downhill grade (8%) as I haven’t towed yet.

Though I’m sure for those living in a mountainous region, an exhaust brake may not be a bad idea.

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8’ Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Trans in-line return A/T fluid filter.

Last edited by Big Horn; 01-09-2019 at 09:30 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome