Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - View Single Post - Learn me on turbo rebuilding/replacement
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:25 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
The parts come from the factory unit balanced. That means the exhaust and intake side were together when they were balanced. The tech then scribes the intake wheel and shaft and then reassembles the wheels and shaft in the turbo. When you take your intake wheel off and put a different one on - even if it is perfectly balanced - the unit may no longer be balanced. Using your analogy, it would be like having a tire and wheel assembly balanced and then changing the tire with a perfectly balanced tire (minus the wheel). Then when you reassemble the unit, it may not be perfectly balanced anymore. That's because some of the weights on the wheel were there to offset the previous tire. Same with the turbo. The exhaust side may have had some weight removed to help balance the intake side. Now, with a new, perfectly balanced wheel it is no longer balanced as a whole. And that's no none sense.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome