The Diesel Stop banner

Need help with electrical issue, battery drain

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  short_stuff 
#1 · (Edited)
Man, I just typed this whole thing out and it disappeared....
New to me 2000 f350 7.3, just brought it up to n Illinois from Texas about 3 weeks ago. Since it’s cold here I noticed the glow plugs weren’t working but would charge when I jumped cross the big terminals on the gpr. I since then changed out all 8 plugs with ford ones and a new autozone gpr. After the job was done the gpr still wouldn’t charge. I found if I smacked the relay it would “click” and charge the plugs.
Today I went to start it and same thing. I went under the hood and smacked the relay and it clicked. By the time I walked round to hit the key the batteries were about dead. Within 2-3 minutes they were down to about 2v. I’ve ordered a stancore relay but it’s not here yet.
I really can’t see a defective relay causing a rapid drain like that but electrical issues are my worst enemy..the batteries seem fine and hold a charge, connections clean and tight.

Edit: I also noticed that if I smacked the old gpr it would charge as well...

I appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks,Al

#2 ·
You should be able hear the gpr while it’s energized—until it cycles off. My hearing isn’t that great so I actually have a LED indicator light wired to mine to see the cycle.
IMO, while I was waiting on the other gpr, I would disconnect the batteries, charge separately, see if they both take a full charge, check voltage, and maybe have a load test put on them. If they both test good— I would disconnect the gpr that’s on there now- hook up batteries and let sit making sure you don’t have a parasitic drain somewhere else. Good luck

#4 ·
Maybe the signal wire on the GPR is not providing enough voltage for the GPR to switch, or even a bad ground.

#5 ·
Absolute, I was kinda thinking the same thing. It’s intermittent but usually won’t click on unless I smack it. I think the 1st order of business is new batteries and then go from there. I believe that signal wire comes from the pcm? Is there a way to test it?

#6 ·
Update....bought 2 new 850cca batteries and put them in. The gpr still wouldn’t “click in” every time. Maybe 3 out of 10 times. Today I put the stancore gpr in and so far it has worked without flaw. I guess the next few days will tell. Thanks for the help. Hopefully all I have left to do is an airbag Clockspring and I can start driving this truck every day

#7 ·
I replaced glow plugs on my 2000 and it would eat the factory relay in one to two starts that’s if it would energize at all. So after 3 relays I found the white Rogers relay and have had no problems that was 6 years ago. Good luck and I hope that fixed your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
Newly purchased trucks always come with a few “surprises”. I bet you wish you had changed the GPs in warm TX. I would bet 75% of 7.3’s sold today have failed GPs or GPR...Lol

+1 on Stancor!

You did the right thing by replacing batteries. The seller could have probably kept using them til next Fall in warm climates but cold temps like you are getting in IL is another story.

You have a high post count for a 3- week old truck. Whats your other Powerstroke?

#9 ·
New batteries and stancore still going strong. Fired right up without block heater after sitting more than 24hrs in near 0 temps!!
Arctic my other truck is also a 2000 7.3. Bought it new and have clocked about 412,000miles. It’s rusted out so bad I thought it was time for a back up. I’m still driving it to try and keep the “new” one out of the salt until I do something about rust proofing it.

#10 ·
In one of my other posts a while back, I had found that the battery cables looked fine on the outside, but when I peeled back the insulation a few inches from the terminal, I found all sorts of wire cancer. I had had an issue with batteries down here only lasting a year to 18 months, and then having to get new batteries. It wasn't until the 4th gyration of getting new batteries ($$$$) that I decided to check the cables. Btw, in that time, I had also changed out the voltage regulator 3 times. After changing out the wire harness 2 years ago, I haven't had any more battery issues. fwiw, it is my opinion that the batteries made now are not nearly as good as the batteries from 10 or 15 years ago. Yes, we run a lot more through those batteries than we used to, but even boat batteries don't last longer than a year or two any more.
I do love my 2000 F250, though. When I bought it in 1999, I sure hadn't planned on keeping it around this long. But, its too good and reliable to consider replacing it now.

just my .02 cents worth

short_stuff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.