The Diesel Stop banner

Stupid and thought twice about it

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JJEdwards 
#1 ·
So I just thought I would try some therapy and post this to try and make myself feel better. First turbo job BTW. Did a turbo rebuild and had some difficulty getting the up pipe clamp off. Well I used a pry bar on the turbo and I think I bent the up pipes flange. Upon reinstall, instead of loosening the up pipes, I fastened the turbo to the up pipes first then "attempted" to fasten the turbo to the pedestal...very bad idea. The bolts were very difficult to get onto the pedestal but I kept on going. My only fear was this happening, oil everywhere. Probably half to a full gallon. Literally shot one of the o'rings out. I'm typing this and wondering if I should hit the button to post it.......embarrassing! Now I'm wondering if I should buy a new pedestal. I'll be taking it all back out and see how the bolts thread back on. Stupid and lazy decision to not loosen the up pipes. My wife is out of town on work, I'm without my truck and have another day out of work to make it right. I'll be borrowing one of my teenagers cars (which I pay for) in the meantime I guess. Don't be too hard on me. LOL
Jared

#2 ·
Don't beat yourself up over it. Sometimes you get the bull, and sometimes he gets you. When I installed my 38R I did not have to loosen the up pipes. It took a bit but I held my tongue right and it fell into place. Some have to loosen the up pipes to install the turbo, it won't go on any other way. They are kind of like old small block Chevy exhaust manifolds. They come off, but sometimes they won't go back on. In fact, they made a tool to keep the manifold from warping on the chebbies. Anyway, get a new pedestal and new bolts and try again. May be a good time to get a ebpv delete pedestal and turbo outlet?

#3 ·
I doubt you damaged the pedestal, but that's possible.

Turbos are a PITA to get in place. And the up-pipes connections are also a PITA to get at if you leave them loose. A couple of us once worked at least an hour trying to finally get the pin aligned to the up-pipe wye and turbo bolted in place.

Don't feel bad about your "event".
But then again, I've never done anything like that. >:)

#4 ·
You guys input helps a lot. Thanks for talking me down from the ledge!!! What I did learn in this process (by the way have owned this truck for only a year) is that it has an EBPV delete and bellowed up pipes. Looking at the positives here as you can see. Hoping to get it going by the weekend. I'll report back with the results.

Here's a photo of what I had to build to even begin this work. All scrap wood and no cuts made, lol. Will deconstruct when finished. Truck is tall from previous owner that I plan on dropping within the next year. Incredible truck BTW!

System won't let me even post a 25 kb pic. "Max file limit exceeded" I'll try again later.

#5 ·
Here's the pic...

Attachments

#6 ·
Had to order a new pedestal. Noticed the one I took out had a bolt in the armature hole (I think that's what it's called) plugging it. Any chance the new blank pedestal will make any difference?
Jared

#7 ·
Yeah, some sort of topside creeper is a must for working that far back over the engine. Or at least some serious padding. Always seems like the hood bumpers wind up in some strategically dangerous spot. :surprise:

#8 ·
Got it all back together couple days ago and everything went great. The up-pipes weren't bent and the turbo and new pedestal went on relatively easy. The up-pipe pin alignment is truly a PITA like you said. Oh what fun it is! I could do this job in my sleep now though. Thanks for all the advice.

Jared

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.